It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Don't worry it won't get here" LIARS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Yet another news story on radiation in the U.S. This one is about traces in Grass clipings in Illinois. stlouis.cbslocal.com...

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerman24

Quote from article...

Patti Thompson of the Illinois Emergency Management Agency says the levels are low: The amount of radiation would have to be 200,000 greater than what was detected to meet the regulatory limit for emission from a nuclear power plant.

So my question is: If things carry on as they are right now, until they can get those reactors cooled and eventually encased, will we continue to see just these widespread (but tiny) readings? That means it would take a long, long time to build up to a level that would be problematic.

Obviously, if things take a turn for the worse at the plant, that's a whole other matter.

But if it was to carry on - exactly as now - for a few months and then they managed to bury/entomb it, would we see no major problems in the rest of the world?

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Maybe it's from the secret testing done on inmates at Joliet. Probably why it closed.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Curio

Well when it first happened the news said and gov officals said it wouldn't get here at all. Mopst of the people i have been talking think that the numbers are prob higher then what there saying. But either way for something that "will not effect us" there have been alot of readings that prove otherwise.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerman24

As an aside, I saw a report today that stuff that was washed away during the tsunami would be here...in years! Yeah, right!

Here's the link.[url=http://news.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474979180605]http://news.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474979180605[/url ]
LG

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
what about fox news reporting a blue lumination from the plant now dont think that can be good

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Some people WILL die from this radiation and they will die outside the country Of Japan....Wait and see....I will quit posting if they don't......That is how sure I am of it....NO amount of radiation is good for you.....Even background levels are bad...One reason we don't live a longer and better life than we do......Put the radiation from cell phones, reactors, microwave ovens,bomb testing, etc,,, all together and your getting way more than safe levels...They are killing us off people, don't you understand.....

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Prophet Vanga said that in 2011 do to radiation showers there will be mass deaths in Europe

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
The point made by OP about the tiny amounts of radioactivity are misguided. What makes the radiation dangerous is not the strength of the exposure, but the length of the exposure. Put bluntly, if you had to visit your hospital for an x-ray you or I would probably feel quite safe. If you were told to stay in the x-ray for a period of months or years with none of the lead shielding that hospitals provide to limit harmful exposures, would you not question the fact that this could have serious health implications?
The point here is that this radiation is spreading around the globe and some of the isotopes have a much longer half life than others. This means while some elements, such as the iodine, will dissipate relatively quickly, others that take much longer to decay will continue to accumulate. This will increase background radiation levels incrementally, but will also mean we are being exposed to greater amounts of radiation over a longer period of time. Until this can be stopped ( still no known method - not fearmongering here, if you know a way to stop this meltdown i`m sure TEPCO would like to discuss this with you ) the toxicity will continue to gradually increase in every single island and nation on this planet.
I am in the UK and am becoming increasingly concerned about this problem, this may well be a very slow moving ELE. Even though we may be talking 20 - 30 years to complete, if left unchecked this could well turn out to be that serious IMHO. Feel free to disagree.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Caji316

There's a problem with your logic though, there's no way of telling if these people you think are going to die outside of japan will die from the radiation FROM japan unless you're saying people are going to start getting radiation sickness over here....which is preposterous.

Will the cancer rate increase...maybe. But cancer has been on the rise for some time and there would be no way to tell 100% what the cause was

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by IndiGo33

Baba Vanga also said the radiation showers would come from the 3rd world war which was to be a nuclear one which was to have started in october of last year....don't lay stock in predictions from supposed psychics when it comes to real life matters. Prohpets are hit and miss at best

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
This is from a newspaper in Alabama:

MONTGOMERY | Trace amounts of radiation from the ongoing Japanese nuclear plant crisis have shown up in Alabama, the Environmental Protection Agency said Monday.

Radioactive isotopes from the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant, which was damaged during the March 11 earthquake and tsunami, have been detected in air filters at monitoring sites in Alabama and eight other states and Pacific islands.

“This is slightly above (normal) background … and far below health concerns,” EPA spokeswoman Davina Marraccini said in a telephone interview.

The EPA said that detailed filter analyses from 12 RadNet air monitor locations, including one in Montgomery, produced trace amounts of “radioactive isotopes consistent with the Japanese nuclear incident.

They go on to state it's not dangerous at this time.

Also from the same article:

The 12 monitoring sites are in Alabama, Alaska, Hawaii, Idaho, Nevada, Washington state, Guam, Saipan and the Northern Mariana Islands.

Link if you want to read the whole article: www.tuscaloosanews.com...
edit on 4/1/2011 by ladyinwaiting because: added link

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I think that we can believe the official line that the miniscule amounts of radiation are not life threatening at this time. However as I said before, if the whole of Japan becomes contaminated beyond recovery including the surrounding area - not as preposterous as it sounds if the emissions from the reactors are not somehow contained - then where will we be in that 20-30 year timeframe I outlined in my earlier post?
Let`s get one fact clear here, the nuclear meltdown in Japan is not going to cause any other type of ELE than a gradual poisoning of the entire planet with toxic materials that take thousands of years to decay. No boom, no melting through to the earths core and out the other side (china syndrome) etc.
But this is the scary thought for me personally. All the time we here on ATS are on the lookout for some big spectacular event that could end or change life as we know it in the blink of an eye. But maybe there is no spectacular blinding flash and crash. No comet from beyond the Oort clound, no pole shift or crustal displacement, no CERN sucking us into a black hole or WW3.
Maybe the end is just a slow and gradual poisoning of our enviroment until it is no longer inhabitable.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
No-one in "the west" want us to know just how severe the situation in Japan is, as most countries are on the verge of building new nuclear plants!

Every Government in the west should be held to account for building something we can't realistically control.

In the last few days I have been quoted figures that show nuclear kills less people per year than e.g. coal, but what is not mentioned is the long-term ill-health effects of nuclear, e.g. cancers.

TBH I'm not sure which is worse...

join