It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Contact Within 20 Years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 03:03 AM
link   
How's this for confidence?

If Intelligent life exists elsewhere in our galaxy, advances in computer processing power and radio telescope technology will ensure we detect their transmissions within two decades...

If it's out there, we'll find it. That's the word from the SETI Institute's senior astronomer, Seth Shostak. He has written a paper on the subject that is due to be published in the space science journal Acta Astronautica.

One of the driving forces behind the project is the projection commonly referred to as "Moore's Law," that states that computer processing power doubles every eighteen months.

The outstanding performance of our own SETI team is a good example of this process. Look how far we've come in just a few months! It is a great read, so check out the full story on Space Daily

>>>Edit: added link to previously existing ATS Post

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 03:14 AM
link   
I just finished reading this story, and it is highly interesting. My only thought is that it should have been stated "If Intelligent life exists elsewhere in our galaxy, and was able to transmit radio waves long enough ago to reach us in the time needed, advances in computer processing power and radio telescope technology will ensure we detect their transmissions within two decades..."

If they only developed radios/tvs in the past few centuries, then we would still not be able to hear them, unfortunately.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 09:14 AM
link   
If/When we do make first contact we can sure all be proud of ourselves for participation in the search. I just can't whait to prove wrong all the people who think I'm nuts for running S@H at home[3 boxes 24/7], at work[6 boxes*30h/week] and any other computer I get my hands on.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Hi all!!

Yes, great story Spectre - many thanx for providing the link!!

Strangely, I saw a Discovery programme on TV last night (Saturday) which was all about SETI (although only a brief mention of SETI@home, more about SETI League etc). Seth was featured and came across as an eloquent speaker (as I'm sure we all realised anyway!!
) Certainly, the Moores "Law" scenario isn't lost on me here - computing power per � just gets better and better - here, we've tended to upgarde machines more of less in line with it (retaining two machines at any one time) aand went from a P2 233Mhz, to a P3 600Mhz, to the current P4's 2Ghz and 2.6Ghz respectively. Now, P4 3Ghz HT are becoming relatively inexpensive, so *perhaps* there will be an upgrade sometime (when expenses allow!!).

In the meantime, let's keep crunching those WU's folks!!

Incidentally, Ranger - GREAT signature - if you could write a "how to" guide for setting this baby up, I'm sure a lot of us would love to use it?

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Update
added link to previously existing ATS Post, ET first contact 'within 20 years'
my apologizes to 'Jonna' who made the post first.

Please add any thoughts, comments, or questions in that thread.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Hi all!

A link to a discussion that argues *against* SETI@home, just for a balanced look at the ET scenario. Enjoy!

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 08:45 PM
link   
What if joust what if the "Head/Main" ETs are blocking all those signals to make contact with another Earth like planet that are in our developing stage?
Are they doing that?

Joust a tought thoe but you never know.

top topics

join