Woman Unable To Close Eyes Now Suing N.J. Plastic Surgeon

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   

PATERSON, N.J. (CBSNewYork) — A jury is deliberating the case of a New Jersey woman who says an eyelid procedure gone wrong is the reason she can no longer close her eyes. Marilyn Leisz said she went to a Bergen County plastic surgeon to correct bumps on her eyelids from a cosmetic procedure performed by another doctor and now she can’t fully close her eyes — even when she sleeps.

“…To blink I really have to really squeeze my eyes to … fully close my eyes,” Leisz told CBS 2′s Christine Sloan.

The married mother of two from Bloomingdale was in court Tuesday suing Dr. Paul Parker for negligence. Parker’s attorney told the jury Leisz was warned of the risks and that she never complained after the 2005 eyelid surgery called a blepharoplasty.

“This patient was given information about those risks,” the attorney said.
Leisz disagrees. Her attorney played the opinion of another doctor who said she wasn’t a good candidate for this surgery because she had had too many other procedures.

“He should have been honest with me and told me I was not a candidate and suggested other options for me,” Leisz said.

Leisz said she has to use gel at night and a vaporizer so she doesn’t scratch her eyes. She also says she’s losing her vision and lives in fear of injuring her eyes.

“All the favorite things I used to, like tennis, racquetball, swimming, horseback riding, bike riding, skeet shooting, gardening, I can’t do those things,” Leisz said.

Leisz admitted to having multiple other procedures before going to Dr. Parker, but said she may be able to correct the problem but she’s afraid to go under the knife.

Leisz is asking the jury for an unspecified amount of money. Deliberations resume Wednesday.

newyork.cbslocal.com...

This is just funny...anyone stupid enough to get eyelid surgery deserves this result! I mean, I totally get why women want breast augmentation, or a tummy tuck.. We all know what child birth does to a womans body, hell, Ill even vouch for the women who haven't had children, and are just boosting their self esteem or self confidence with breast augmentation....but this is comical!

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Her family has to water her like a plant now I bet.

Lesson learned. Stay away from surgical vanity!

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
It's sad that so many women are afraid of getting older. Some fight it to the point of no return. I do understand trying to improve one's self-esteem by fixing a major imperfection,.... but there comes a time when you start looking comical. I once had a field trip with my professor to a millionaire beach community. We met a few people out there who collect art, and I was shocked at the amount of plastic surgery some of these women had done. They didn't look human anymore! They looked plastic, or as if they were wearing masks on their faces. At some point it's not attractive anymore. Once you hit 60, give it up and try to age gracefully. Older men are looking for younger women anyway... a lot younger than you. Plastic surgery isn't going to make you younger, it will make you look like a circus spectacle. In fact it probably LESSENS your chances at finding a man, because you look frightening! Put some lotion on, exercise, and leave the rest up to nature.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

So if I read this correctly she had a second procedure to correct the first failed or unsatisfied procedure.
The only reason this will go to court is to figure out which doctor will be responsible for what. Like in car accidents it's never 100% one person, they have to find out the ratio: doctor 1, doctor 2 and the patient. And insurance will fight this tooth and nail.

I think anyone who wants multiple surgeries in the same spot should take a good long look at Michael Jackson's nose before doing this.
edit on 4/1/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I have no sympathy for this woman... It sucks that she has to deal with this but she should have known that complications from plastic surgery do happen.

It is one thing to get surgery for something that hinders you physically but to get surgery to correct bumps on your eyelids? That is just crazy.

This lady should have watched this video and then decided if she really needed to spend the money to make her eyelids perfect.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
well when I was growing up, I had a neighbor (female)
who had this problem naturally. When she slept, her
eyes would remain open. Her family said she looked
almost evil when she slept like an exorcist type
situation. So this not only affects her but her family as well.
How would u feel if you woke beside someone in the
middle of the night with a zombie staring back at you?

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Her attorney played the opinion of another doctor who said she wasn’t a good candidate for this surgery because she had had too many other procedures.

“He should have been honest with me and told me I was not a candidate and suggested other options for me,” Leisz said.

I'm fairly certain that had said doctor told her to "get over herself and suck it up" she'd do everything in her power to ruin his reputation.

people today receive honest opinion and get so offended that they seek revenge ten-fold; give them what they want or else but if they're not satisfied you'll pay for it. Anyone who's ever spent more than 6 months working a retail or customer service job probably shares my opinion.

One day, I will have a time machine and go back to find the first person to proclaim "the customer is always right" and give him a swift kick in the junk.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

There are many people with the ability to sleep with their eyes open. It's called nocturnal lagophthalmos. It's a form of facial paralysis that can be caused by a few different things such as trauma, surgery, stroke, etc. I imagine that it must be pretty scary to wake up to somebody with this problem. First thing I think of when I see a person with open eyes who isn't moving, is that they may be dead, or at least close to it! Pretty scary. She took a risk she didn't have to take. She had surgery to improve her looks. I hope she considers this a lesson learned. If the doctor screwed up, he should compensate her.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whereweheaded
This is just funny...anyone stupid enough to get eyelid surgery deserves this result! I mean, I totally get why women want breast augmentation, or a tummy tuck.. We all know what child birth does to a womans body, hell, Ill even vouch for the women who haven't had children, and are just boosting their self esteem or self confidence with breast augmentation....but this is comical!

I have to ask why you think its fine for a woman to 'boost their self esteem' by getting bigger boobs but find it so funny that someone would want to boost their self esteem by removing unsightly lumps on their face

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra

I'm fairly certain that had said doctor told her to "get over herself and suck it up" she'd do everything in her power to ruin his reputation.

There is also the high probability that said Dr wouldn't chase away a client willing to line his coffers with yet more money....

Dr's are responsible for surgery they decide they are able to preform....

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
If this was elective surgery, even if it wasn't and if she was informed of the risks, then she made her decision and must live with the outcome. Personal responsibility must be considered first and foremost. If the first surgeon was incompetent, then hope they nail him. All around, this says something about both parties and it ain't reflecting well on either.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Versa

I have to ask why you think its fine for a woman to 'boost their self esteem' by getting bigger boobs but find it so funny that someone would want to boost their self esteem by removing unsightly lumps on their face

Boobs add to a womans self confidence.

Women engage in breast implants for a number of reasons. It is mainly undertook to rectify a genetic deformity or reconstruction after a mastectomy surgery .Aside from a genetic problems, women actually feel significantly confident and attractive after undergoing a breast implant surgery. It helps in providing balance and an improved feminine appearance. Additionally it gives immense body contour it also helps in making a woman feel more confident. There are various women who participate in it to obtain a better proportioned body. This may be essential to have a correction in the breast volume which might be required after pregnancy, weight reduction or breast feeding. There are several women who engage in this rebuilding method which must be done through a surgery.

www.articleconnect.info...

How many articles have you seen that suggested a womans eye lids boosted her confidence and morale? Like Never? Pull your head out~

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   

How many articles have you seen that suggested a womans eye lids boosted her confidence and morale? Like Never? Pull your head out~

I don't need to read an article to know that having lumps removed from your face will do wonders for your self confidence.

she went to a Bergen County plastic surgeon to correct bumps on her eyelids

Stop obsessing about boobs, some people also look at faces.
edit on 1/4/11 by Versa because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Versa

im just pointing out fact....from womens perspectives, ( based on reading I've done) a woman growing breasts is their " right of passage " into woman hood. Yes most people look at faces...thats an oxymoron statement, but then again, consider the source~

I have to assume, your one of those lumpy women huh? But couldn't afford the surgery, so you've gone through life all messed up!
edit on 1-4-2011 by Whereweheaded because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   

reply to post by Versa

im just pointing out fact....from womens perspectives, ( based on reading I've done) a woman growing breasts is their " right of passage " into woman hood. Yes most people look at faces...thats an oxymoron statement, but then again, consider the source~

You need to read some more about women then
awww I'm sorry that is so funny.... Your knowledge about women comes from books??

I have to assume, your one of those lumpy women huh? But couldn't afford the surgery, so you've gone through life all messed up!

assumption is a dangerous thing and can make you look a tad foolish
I've been quite happy to post my pic on here on another thread.

I'm quite content as far as body and looks go. That being said if I had a deformity on my face that a surgeon said could be removed then yes of course I would have it removed as I'm sure most people would. Seems to me your the bitter one...

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
She was on the "Today" show this am and while I do have great empathy,I understand very well what procedures are taken and what disclaimers are signed pre-op on ANY elective cosmetic surgery.I've undergone a few with great results but was also FULLY aware of the risks and made sure as best I could that the Dr was the best and that I was as prepared for any complications prior to a procdure.

I'm sure she also was made fully aware of the "dark side" of what the results might be and that's why it's considered"elective" as all cosmetic (and most other other) surgeries carry an inherent amount of risk.

I do believe from looking at her this am that she may well have undergone "other" procedures on her face as well and if you do some reading,it's no un-common for people to "want more" and perhaps her expectations to start with may have been a bit "off..."ie,perhaps she insisted on a more radical result?I don't know this but a good Dr will ALWAYS tell you if you're expectations can't be delivered especially when people bring in pictures and "want to look like" someone else as many do :0
I feel terrible for her because it would seem she will be forced to endure this for a long time,maybe forever butthey did also say she's made a number of atempts to correct her situation with no positive effects.

This eyelid surgery is quite common and many people have it done with great and lasting results,it's not always prompted by vanity,sometimes the folds of skin above the eye are obstructive to one's vision.

Oh and just an FYI: most insurance companies do NOT cover "elective cosmetic procedures" nor do most excelent plastic surgeons deal with insurance.If it's a case of re-construction due to injury or a health condition,they will do what they can to HELP a patient with what they need to file their paperwork but I've yet to meet a cosmetic surgeon here in Texas who accepts insurance.They are glad to finance,work out payment arrangements,and accept credit cards.
edit on 1-4-2011 by irishchic because: added text

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Versa

reply to post by Versa

You need to read some more about women then
awww I'm sorry that is so funny.... Your knowledge about women comes from books??

assumption is a dangerous thing and can make you look a tad foolish
I've been quite happy to post my pic on here on another thread.

I'm quite content as far as body and looks go. That being said if I had a deformity on my face that a surgeon said could be removed then yes of course I would have it removed as I'm sure most people would. Seems to me your the bitter one...

Nope not at all bitter. Quite content actually. I find it interesting, you claim you've posted your actual picture on a past thread, which one could easily conclude, that your one of those " kinds " that need attention. Further, do you not read? You do understand that reading and correlating that with real life tends to be more educational.
And yet, you come here, trolling for attention, ( based on your posting history would prove that ).
Actually its quite comical. Try having a conversation with another woman, who is flat chested and has developed depression because of it. Then will see just how much merit your argument has...which clearly lacks.

No, I'm not bitter at all....just face palming at your response. I think re-runs of Sesame Street would do you loads of good~

ETA: Like your threads! BWAAHAHA!! Not much return on those huh? How's that working out for ya...
edit on 1-4-2011 by Whereweheaded because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by 2manyquestions

I'm choking back the response I'd REALLY like to type because I enjoy this site and dont' want to get banned but TRUST ME,most men are NOT "looking for younger women" because of a specific number nor does a women's "value" decrease after say 60 as you say?

Most of us are not NEARLY ready to "give it up" and I promise that if we met,you'd choke back your words...I am not quite that "old" but look as good or better than MANY women 1/2 my age due to good choices,good living,and a LOT of exercise and discipline...

Harder to get a man if you have a bit of "enhancement surgery?" WOW...you are unique in yoru opinion to ANY man I have ever known and I have a long and rather impressive list: most men worth a chit like a prefer a woman to be fit,well-groomed,intelligent,and most of all confident and capable...at ANY age!

I'm going to go try and climb under my "almost 60" it's all over now DEATH-ROCK and BTW: I can probably climb it faster than you and look DAMN HOT doing it!

Regards but I couldn't let your post slide

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Nope not at all bitter. Quite content actually. I find it interesting, you claim you've posted your actual picture on a past thread, which one could easily conclude, that your one of those " kinds " that need attention. Further, do you not read? You do understand that reading and correlating that with real life tends to be more educational.
And yet, you come here, trolling for attention, ( based on your posting history would prove that ).
Actually its quite comical. Try having a conversation with another woman, who is flat chested and has developed depression because of it. Then will see just how much merit your argument has...which clearly lacks.

No, I'm not bitter at all....just face palming at your response. I think re-runs of Sesame Street would do you loads of good~

ETA: Like your threads! BWAAHAHA!! Not much return on those huh? How's that working out for ya...

How does anything you just posted have a bearing on your thread? You might want to check the ATS terms and conditions before you start with the personal attacks.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
No one said we should surgically alter yourselves and in this superficial world with people unhappy with what they truly are, we have people undergoing dangerous and risky plastic surgery to improve on something that will just wither away anyways.

I hate plastic surgery it often makes people look weird and unnatural. People with too much surgery often look like freaks and clown faces. They become more unattractive the more they go under the knife. Google images has a nice collection of surgery gone bad:

www.google.ca...

Personally, I think you get what you deserve when you follow this lifestyle and although I think it sucks she can't close her eyes, she must have known there are risks and she has to be accountable for her own actions and choices also.

Blame the doctor but blame yourself first for taking the step that caused the problem in the first place. Personal accountability does apply here. It's not just the doctor's fault, she's equally liable for her own decisions. Had she chosen not too, she'd probably be ok.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join