It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help!! spyware? somethings wrong on my PC

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
You said your on a public wifi correct? If there is anyone around you, on that same network, ask them if they are having the same problem. That would be the easy way to determin if that is your problem.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by PoopDawg

I dont know where the router would be. Its comes up as Free Public Wifi, so I dont know who to contact about it. Hopefully they will get it straightened out.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by mmmaster

Ill have to wait until my buddy gets back, and I see if he is having the same issues.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
When I had this problem, even my phone would redirect to other pages.
Do you have wifi on your phone?

edit on 1-4-2011 by PoopDawg because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
also you can try this and see if it helps go to Firefox | Tools | Options | Privacy; there you click on CLEAR RECENT HISTORY and clear EVERYTHING, including checking the box for SITE PREFERENCES.

see if that helps.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by PoopDawg

I never even thought of that. That is a good idea. I will have to remember that.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Cheesefacedogbone

Yay for it finding things

Having a quick look around was it something like this that the error was?

Also have a looksie at this and download TDSSKiller on the offchance it's not router/wifi related

- Phoenix

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by phoenix_zephyr

Yay for it finding things

Having a quick look around was it something like this that the error was?

Also have a looksie at this and download TDSSKiller on the offchance it's not router/wifi related

- Phoenix

The tdskiller does work temperarally.
It took me forever to fix this problem.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Did you try going back to a previous restore point?

Open System Restore by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, clicking System Tools, and then clicking System Restore.‍ Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Sorry I havent been able to reply, I was running the windows files protection thing and it slowed down everything to a halt. It sounds like it probably is the router, I wont know for sure if until my buddy gets back. My cell phone is about as basic as it gets so that wont help me but, if he is having the same issue I will know for sure. Thanks poopdawg, If it turns out to be the router, I would have never figured it out on my own.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Are you able to get it into safemode by the way?

When the machine boots up hit F8 a few times and it should load up with a screen that looks like this:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7e6de6c5fca3.jpg[/atsimg]

Choose Safemode with Networking and then proceed with scans from there.

- Phoenix

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cheesefacedogbone
Sorry I havent been able to reply, I was running the windows files protection thing and it slowed down everything to a halt. It sounds like it probably is the router, I wont know for sure if until my buddy gets back. My cell phone is about as basic as it gets so that wont help me but, if he is having the same issue I will know for sure. Thanks poopdawg, If it turns out to be the router, I would have never figured it out on my own.

Yeah, it took me a while to figure it out myself.
I have about 4 different wireless devices in my house and I knew something was fishy when ALL of them had the same issue. Especially my android phone. A pc virus could not attack any other OS .

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I did the system restore, and it looks like for now that it did the trick. Hopefully it wont happen again.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Fantastic to hear

Make sure you have a decent antivirus!

- Phoenix

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
can you suggest a decent free one that I can try? Someone gave this PC, and it had Symantec on it. But I had so many problems with it, and I couldn't delete, so I reformatted the hard drive, and started all over.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Hope that was the problem!
go to cnet.com they have alot of free virus software.
I use Avira.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

I personally use and recommend Avast! Free Antivirus. After registering for free, you've got a license for a year after which you just re-register again and it's completely free

- Phoenix
edit on 1/4/2011 by phoenix_zephyr because: To clarify

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Hello, friend, perhaps I can help? If you have any anti virus programs, uninstall them, and restart the computer. then download Microsoft Security Essentials. After installation, let it update from Microsoft, and make it do a full scan of your computer. I have been using this program in customer computers for 6 months now, not a one has come back infected.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Hopefully your solution works. We had the same problem on the laptop that my wife was using, which is a dns hijacking. It can be malware, or in the router firmware that can be modified that way. Some can, some can't. Link

The malware version of the dns hijacking can be insidious to get rid of. They also infect the repair partition of the hard drive. I wacked her hard drive and re-installed the OS which worked until the system created a system restore point automatically at which point it was back, from the repair partition.

The final solution was sending the drive to the manufacturer and having them reformatting it and creating a new hidden partition.

If you hit the Kaspersky site, they have stand alone free specific tools to find problems. I bought their security suite for the ultimate computer assassin, my mother.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Free Public Wifi is malware, you shouldn't connect to it.

read and learn

<< 1    3 >>

join