It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Spin Doctors have left the building....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 10:10 AM
link   
What the heck is going on with the press lately?

Imagine, if you will, if, during WW2, every single time a plane was shot down, every time a POW was captured, etc. if it was reported on the news. (i.e. radio at the time) THERE WOULD BE NOTHING ELSE ON THE NEWS! This is where we are now! This is ridiculous!

As has been stated many times, we, the American public (or even the world public for that matter), only see small snippets of what's going on in the war. Lately however, these snippets shown on tv seem to be only helping one side....the SIDE OF THE ENEMY!!! By looking through the small keyhole that the news provides, one would think that the coalition is LOSING! Of course, anyone with half a brain, can collate the info for themselves and see the real picture....but a person is smart...people are stupid.

For some reason, the news seems focused on (comparatively) insignificant losses (no disrespect here...just in terms of numbers), and not on the gains, such as: We have hundreds of Iraqi POWs---they have around 10 or so, We have destroyed hundreds of military targets, and own the skies over Iraq---they have destroyed none, being content only with a helicopter that had to land, and some POWs that took a wrong turn into them, By most accounts, it is possible that Saddam could be dead or injured despite the "tapes"---the same can not be said about Bush, In just a few days, we have managed to control a good part of Iraq---Saddam has not regained one lost area.

This is the reality of the war situation folks. Saddam is not winning, that's for sure. So why isn't the news illustrating this? Who knows? Like I said, the spin doctors must be on vacation....

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 10:24 AM
link   
It's easy to spin domestic events and policies, but it's much harder to put spin on a world event that many countries and independent journalists are reporting and showing to anyone who cares to view (albeit with varing degrees of censorship). The pentagon seems to have found this out with their early retractions and changing of stories. I think we'll see less of that from here.

I don't think the U.S and U.K forces (I'm not going to call it the collation, that's spin for you!) are losing, the media is just being hard on them because everything is not going as planned and because of the initial self assurance that the Americans had that this would be a walkover. That's clearly not the case.

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Some of us realized that this would not be a repeat of the Gulf War. This war had different objectives, and as such, required the early deployment of ground forces, which most of us knew would also incur more casualties. Actually, I'm surprised it's been as light as it has. I was actually thinking about 2 aircraft shot down and about 30 POWs taken per day as losses to the US and British forces, with about 50 casualties or so per day as well. So far, I'm actually impressed, not disheartened... I'm just disappointed in the way it's being handled in the press...I think they're really dropping the ball here, both the administration, and the news outlets...

new topics

join