It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Name ATS members baby - just a bit of fun... the kookier the better

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Hi Guys,

No idea where to put this (the de-facto intro for 99% of ATS threads nowadays!) - I know it's not the right kind of forum for baby names, but for the names we're looking at it's perfect so, mods, move as you see fit thanks.

Now, my partner is 8 months preggers and due to drop anytime soon
we're really really struggling for a name. We both want something which is unique, slightly kooky but with meaning.

We chose a girls name within minutes - Io-Sofia. So we've been praying for a girl, but judging from the scans we've had unless she has three legs, it's a boy! And boy are we stumped. We've tried everything from Apollo to Orion (whose origin is 'urine'... learning all the time, so scrapped that one) to Nero to Sol but we just can't settle. Basically, anything cosmological or mythological, we pretty much like but are open to whatever you have. Potential for ridicule at school (and home!) is just a bonus
jk.

So without further ado I'd like to ask the inspiring minds of ATS to take a break from the dire world news and help us name our son... any thoughts?

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I bought this for the wife.

Not sure if we will use it though.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
How about, Ianto, pronounced yanto,its a cool welsh name and not that hard to pronounce, theres a character in the BBC Dr Who spin off Torchwood called it, heres a link en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Pr0t0

I like the name Jayden/Jaiden. Perhaps name him after a character of your favorite movie? I named my little girl Leia from Star Wars with a middle name being Rose. She was actually suppose to be a boy lol I was reading the books at the time and it popped in my head whem they asked for a name and loved it. Congratulations!!

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by innervision0730
reply to post by Pr0t0

Perhaps name him after a character of your favorite movie?

Lol, The Dude it is

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
i think something like Marley would be cool. not that kooky but has a good vibe to it

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
how about Aurora, Annika, Sarai, Louisa, Sian-Lee, Chantel

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Phenom, like phenomenal (comparative more phenomenal, superlative most phenomenal)

(colloquial) Very remarkable; highly extraordinary; amazing.
(sciences) Perceptible by the senses through immediate experience.
(philosophy) Of or pertaining to the appearance of the world, as opposed to the ultimate nature of the world as it is in itself.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Pr0t0

How bout timewalker II.

IInd

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Pr0t0

Basically, anything cosmological

Wormhole !

Just kidding .

How about Nova ? Then if it were a girl , you could reverse it and call her Avon .

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Congratulations to the three of you. May you all be happy and healthy. My two cents: People that name their baby after a character on a soap opera, TV show or current trendy movie are telling the world they lack imagination, are weak-minded and easily swayed, and have really poor taste in personal entertainment.

A personal favorite girls name: Cleo. Pretty, classic, unusual without being weird.

Boys names, IMHO, should reflect masculinity while avoiding cliche school-yard taunts. Example: how can anyone name their son Dick? I don't care if you were born in 1952. If someone is so clueless that they are not aware of how cruel children and people are, they should not be having babies.

Names associated with old family wealth are fine for children in families with old wealth. Send that same child to public school and it's painful. Perhaps you may find a suitable name by looking at classic names associated with your or your partners heritage. I've never met an American lad named Angus, for instance. But that name may be very common in Scotland or Wales ( i don't know ).

More important than the first name is avoiding the pretentious hyphenated last name. IMHO hyphenated last names are very off-putting. People --are-- very judgmental, whether we like it or admit it or not. I understand people feel they have good reason for hyphenated last names. The doosh factor is too high a price to pay, and it takes second place only to phony celebrity one name types like Sting, Cher or Madonna.

Best of luck and good health to you

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by ReRun
reply to post by Pr0t0

Basically, anything cosmological

Wormhole !

Just kidding .

How about Nova ? Then if it were a girl , you could reverse it and call her Avon .

ReRun, do you recall the old Chevrolet Nova? It was sold with different badges & names on it:

Nova
Omega
Ventura
Apollo

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Crakeur has a nice ring to it. As does Floogin McNoogin

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
"Chemtrail"

You can call him/her "Chemmy" for short.

"Chemtrail" just seems so appropriate for a babies name, we all know how badly they can affect the atmosphere at diaper-changing time.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Io- Sophia??? That sounds like Iowa!!!

If it's a girl, name her Elenin. Her nick name could be Elly.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

Thanks for the heads up! I never thought to search the term 'sci-fi' for names. Having spent a sum total of several long hours looking through names, I hope this yields some success

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by thedoctorswife

I like it! Unfortunately, she hates it
we can't even agree on dinner tonight... thanks though!!

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Ok I did some research and found a few mythycal/God type names I really liked also from a few favorite video games (Oblivion/Dragonage/Final Fantasy)..

-Arwin (Lord of the Rings)
-Arioch
-Avalon
-Altair
-Griffen
-Therien
-Sten
-Valdez
-Zell (final fantasy)
-Navair

My Favorites
-Sidon
-Caius (Pronounced Kyuss)
-Allastair (Pronounced Allister)
-Lycan

I know you already picked a girls name but I found these two beautiful

Stella (meaning Star)
Luna (Meaning the moon)

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Isis, Loki, Earth, Merlin, Eros, Dragon, Jupiter, Mecca, Triton, Sirius, Zeus, Phoenix, Kannon, Atlas, Pluto, Crow, Lion, Apollo, Owyn, Mavis, Pollux, Basil, Constantine, Egan, Lyric, Leander......

I love different baby names. Both mine have unusual names, and some on this list i seriously considered, but i did not include their names. Good luck!

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
double post

edit on 1-4-2011 by toolstarr because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join