It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Louis Theroux Returns to Westboro Baptist Church

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   
I am sure many have seen the documentary where Louie goes to live with the Phelps for a short while and we should all be glad that he has returned and surely made another great bit of viewing for a sunday night.

the show starts at 9pm gmt on bbc 2, and here is a snippet of what he had to say about it.

[/After tales of defections, Louis Theroux investigates what's up with America's most hated family.

There are names I've been called in the course of making documentaries, but to be described as "one of the chief workers of iniquity in the whole history of man" takes some beating.

The man making the claim for me - which was somehow offensive and weirdly flattering at the same time - was Steve Drain, a member of the ultra-strict and very notorious Westboro Baptist Church. He went on to say I was on a par with Pontius Pilate.

I'd earned my special status by filming a documentary about his unique religious community in 2006. Entitled "The Most Hated Family in America", it followed a three-week stay I made among the Kansas-based Phelps clan.

Under the guidance of their angry pastor, the Phelps have arrived at the idea that the only biblical practice for Christians in our age is to carry placards with unbelievably offensive anti-gay slogans ("Fags in Hell", "Fags Eat Poop", and so on) and turn up at high-profile funerals, especially those of soldiers killed in Iraq and Afghanistan.

ex]

and this bit was quite intetresting

For the broad mass of humanity to go to hell, they must have first been exposed to the gospel and failed to heed it. Our programme had been seen by millions around the world. In my own way, I had a part in the divine plan. And so I'd made my way back to Zion, as they like to call their block of houses on a suburban street in Topeka, for a week-long stay.

The emphasis on the end-time scenario turned out to be entirely real. Obama "fits all the descriptors" of the Beast, apparently. The scenario of Jesus's return, as described to me, went like this: the Phelps would win their Supreme Court case; the nation would rise up and force the Phelps to leave America; they'd go to live in Jerusalem; 144,000 Jews would convert to Christianity (this was my favourite part of the prediction, given the Phelps' track record of anti-Semitism); then Jesus would come back.

link- www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   
i bet this will be very good and as unbiased as possible with regards to these peoples ideoligies but i am sure louie will still find some way of covertly making fun of them.

there are not many times i watch tv but this will surely not be missed by myself.

if anyone is good at embedding videos and would like to embed some of the first episode, then that would be much appreciated.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by lewman

I Love Louis Theroux!!!!

He is awesome! He has done some of the best documentaries i have seen... in a humurous sense.

The way he gets in with certain groups and crowds and seems interested but all the while he is only their in a satirical sense in many ways!!

I havent seen many of his shows for awhile, the network here in Australia stopped showing his doco's

Thanks for the heads up

Did you ever see him with the swingers... better yet the survialists? If not ill post some links soon k!!

edit on 1-4-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
I gotta share these for anyone that hasnt seen these episodes of 'Louis Theroux weird weekends' ;

Swingers

Survivalists

Body Builders / Muscle Worship

Fundamentalist Christianity

Google Video Link

These are some funny clips and interviews, although i am sure there are many better than this.

FYI: I dont mean to try and hijack your thread with all the clips, but i love this guy!! One of the best series of documentaries i have ever seen!!

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by lewman

Just a courtesy to any of your readers, here is an in-depth look at his most recent adventure

Ok so maybe i am hijacking your thread.... i dont understand why people bother posting when they log off or disappear straight after... where is the commitment

LEVEL-HEADED Louis Theroux is ready to return to the lighter side of life - after finally being caught on camera losing his rag.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2fe0357ba792.jpg[/atsimg]

But after years of keeping his cool with crystal meth addicts, neo-Nazis and murderers, BBC2 viewers will see him snap on Sunday when he revisits America's most hated family, the Phelps.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9ec93922179f.jpg[/atsimg]

Louis revisited them in Topeka, Kansas, US, after discovering several fed-up family members had left - and found their abhorrent views have got even WORSE.

He said: "There's a more barbed, emotional and tense tone to the encounter.

"They have ramped up their views - and it got heated. They played a propaganda film that played fast and loose with swastikas and caricatures of Jewish people.

Source - The Sun

Online Promo -

Enjoy the clips....

In regard to the above clip, so... God hates fags but God also preaches and beleives in forgiveness??? hmm anyone else seeing mass hypocracy?? It is amazing how people perceive the Bible that was writtenb by humans for humans.....

Idiocracy!!!!

Although i was raised Roman Catholic, i have come to realise The Bible is crap.... written by Humans to control other Humans.... Simple!!! Anyone that doesnt see that is in denial....

It it very similar to how extremist Islamics perceive the Kuran.... A very fine line!!

According to the Bible - does God preach hatred or acceptance and forgiveness? That is if you take any of it seriously... but in the case of these people( above ) would God accept and forgive sins or be hatefull and condemn these people ( homosexuals ) ....

If i had any beleif in a one true God, there would be forgiveness and acceptance, no matter what your sins or supposed sins.
Why do people hate homosexuality, why do people care??

I am straight, i have been married and had two daughters, but i dont hate or think any less of homosexuals etc. It is their choice and there path in life. It does not affect me!

So why all this hatred in the supposed name of God! We live our lives on Earth to learn lessons and mature spiritually, it has nothing to do with our sexual preferences! What we learn in our time here is far greater than that and is much more than the Bible can ever teach.

Dont forget that Constantine basically censored and edited the Bible to his preferences back in 300AD. There were many sciptures left out as it did not conform to the Catholic Churches perpective. So once again i have to point out that The Bible was wrtitten by Humans for Humans to control the mass population. Snce then there has always been a battle between Sceince and religion... At least sceince can offer proof! Religion has only ever asked for beleif

Hmm

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

sorry i had to get my son ready and take him to school.
yeah i have seen those episodes before but i have a crappy memory so thanks for posting them as i will watch them now.

cant wait for sundays episode, suppose you will probably have to wait a few days(maybe hours) yourself until you can watch it online in oz but someone might post it on ats straight after its been on.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by lewman

Sorry no probs... the whole religion subject is abit touchy with me personally at the moment... after i watched the Promos i became very angry at the family and their beleifs... i guess that is why they are called Americas most hated family....

I edited the above post, i added in some more ranting...
sorry. I get very passionate about the subject...

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I made a thread the other day about this. Have a look at that one too if you like, not that there is much difference in it though.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

yeah i was kind of disgusted by those sample's, but amused at the same time. i agree with your feelings on the whole subject really.

reply to post by pazcat

sorry i should have searched, suppose i was in a bit of a rush this morning

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
That's fine, I can't see any problems with having one on each board.
This one has different links in it too wich are quite an interesting read.

Can't wait to see the actual show on Sunday.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

It's a recurring prblem on ATS... it's not always the OP's fault though.... there are times i have searched before posting and then afterwards realised that there were existing threads on certain issues...

It all depends on how the OP titles the thread...

Also from experiance i will also admit that some latter threads are better than previous threads due to source and media quality....

I have come across this, i post great threads with great information and lots of interactive media etc but because someone got in 5-10 min before me with a lame thread theirs will win over... hmm sometimes it's not fair when you are devoted to [roviding quality info to ATS... but rules are rules.....

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Louis is brilliant! I just recently started rewatching Weird Weekends and checking out some of his other shows I've missed over time. He has such a good way of calling people on their shizz without being judgmental. He truly tries to understand what motivates the people he interviews even though he may not agree with them or ultimately find their views repugnant (i.e. Louis and the Nazi's). That, to me is the definition of an open mind. I'm looking forward to this new one.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I have recorded the show and am literally into the second minute, could these people have got worse? YES! The mother is wearing a head scarf saying "thankgod for cancer" and her explanation is that everytiime someone dies from cancer its a slap from God. HORRIBLE, words cannot describe these people.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
A great documentary.

This time Louis is more interested in the people that have left the WBC such as Fred Phelps jr s daughter, Libby and Steve Drains daughter, Lauren.
he interviews both the Lauren and Libby and also their parents separately .

As usual the parents chant the "cut off" and "full of sin" mantra regarding their children who, ironically, would love nothing better than to meet their parents again.

Lauren is a Nurse with piercings and killer heels
Libby is also a nurse but she was the most distressed about the wall of silence from her family.

side note....... Fred jr was gaggin to know of any news about his daughter from Louis.

Louis also interviews Noah the 11 year old kid of Shirley who states that "after the supreme court ruling in their favour, America will demand that teh Phelps leave USA , so they move to some pink caves in Jodan or Jerusalem and baptize 14400 Jews into the kingdom of Westboro "

oh and Megan Phelps is being watched because she communicates and shares "gifts" with a dutch film student........he gave her a video camera................do the math

i

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
heh ok i watched it, and it was entertaining. but a little pointless i feel.
theyre just a goofball cult that he nicely outed last time, i think louis was wasted going back there, theres so much more in the world that needs attention.
i think louis theroux is a great guy but definatly a snake in the grass, i hope we see him take on more noble'r causes, as i thought this was a bit shallow, we already knew they were fruitcakes, this just gave them more publicity.
edit on 3-4-2011 by neonitus because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-4-2011 by neonitus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by neonitus

i think louis theroux is a great guy but definatly a snake in the grass

What gives you that impression? I always saw him as being very up front about his feelings and perspective.

new topics

top topics

join