It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News: Large Explosion Filmed in Libya

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by LikeDuhObviously

Its not even a that big of explosion anyone with a IRL military has conventional weapons that out boom this ... Why are people saying nuke ?

edit on 31-3-2011 by LikeDuhObviously because: (no reason given)

Sense of scale issues. Most people lack the ability to comprehend or conceive the power of a nuclear weapon. It reminds me of sci fi writers and stories in space. They have no sense of scale. There are plenty more examples, mountains, canyons, etc, but the main problem is an inherent human flaw with cognition.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by vesqui1990
This is horrible. Whats sad is that the civilians are the ones who really suffer and alot of these people dont want war and suffering like the rest of us. well most of us.......... I hope.......

The explosion was a armory that was full of weapons that were being used to kill those civilians your heart bleeds for. .. Thanks for caring.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

A nuke would be ... well ... Like duh ! Obvious

edit on 31-3-2011 by LikeDuhObviously because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by LikeDuhObviously

Notice the flash. Its so freaking bright it makes a blue sky and the picture basically go negative on the film for a few seconds.

Its the kind of bright that burns out people's retinas. Anyone whose ever stared at the sun or a welding torch have just barely a taste of what a flash is like on any nuclear weapon, tactical or otherwise.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by 1SawSomeThings

That was when quadaffi ducks goon air force FINALLY hit their own ammo dump as you can see and hear all the secondary explosions. Don't think so then go check out some other ammo dump explosions in Iraq that were known to have happened.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldCorp
IMO, it was a weapon storage depot. The burning debris tossed up and off to the sides were probably missile warheads, likely SCUDS or similar heavy missile systems.

One thing is for sure: if you were within a half-mile of that explosion you would never have known what hit you.

AGREED...

You know whats funny?

4 pages of responses and everything from a nuke to an air-strike by the West has been blamed or suggested. Meanwhile the person/people filming seemed to know exactly where to point the camera BEFORE it exploded----Watch the video again people.

What does that suggest?

Come on people lets be a little more swift and on the ball here....

edit on 31-3-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
EDIT: NEVERMIND, it appears as if this video has been around since March 8th, before the invasion.

However, I guess this is video of that "tactical nuke" story that was floating around the media. That one turned out to be the result of Gadaffi's forces bombing a rebel arms depot.
edit on 31-3-2011 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   
thats pretty darn big, it makes you wonder if their using more mini nukes

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   
That wasn't that big. I have seen much bigger. Bunker Buster. With secondaries they definatley got what they were aiming for. I wonder If they had a spotter there. Somebody knew there was incoming.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by JerryB08

The US Military doesn't deploy tactical nukes. And If that had been a nuke there wouldn't be a shadow of a doubt. Bunker Buster explode under ground and the shockwave through the ground is what in my humble opinion knocked them on their arses.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Originally posted by OldCorp
IMO, it was a weapon storage depot. The burning debris tossed up and off to the sides were probably missile warheads, likely SCUDS or similar heavy missile systems.

One thing is for sure: if you were within a half-mile of that explosion you would never have known what hit you.

AGREED...

You know whats funny?

4 pages of responses and everything from a nuke to an air-strike by the West has been blamed or suggested. Meanwhile the person/people filming seemed to know exactly where to point the camera BEFORE it exploded----Watch the video again people.

What does that suggest?

Come on people lets be a little more swift and on the ball here....

edit on 31-3-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

probably their dad who's making a big fire (this is a joke, but my guess is the do know its about to happen)), kids seem to excited if you ask me

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by 1SawSomeThings

Could be that a Durandal type weapon or an RAF stormshadow penetrated a substrata oil pipeline?

Will be interesting to find out the location of the explosion to ascertain the "assets" in that area though.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
reply to post by Whereweheaded

You are what's called a sociopath.

That kind of behavior warrants psychological assistance.

No actually, had you paid attention, from page one, I stated that I was tired of all the ongoings in that region including the ME to begin with.

Reading comprehension isn't your strongest suit is it?

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Thought I had seen this video before.

Is this not the ammunition dump that the SAS blew up? Quite sure it is.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by JMech
Just guessing but possibly an ammo dump or as others have said a fuel dump. There seems to be several other objects shooting off in different directions. Possibly rockets?

This^^^.

You can see several smaller "sparks" within the explosion. That would lead me to conclude that this was an ammo depot strike, which caused the conventional explosion to be multiplied.

...coulda been a bunker buster?

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I love how many ATSers jump to all sorts of absurd conclusions. "A mini nuke', "Napalm".... It's an explosion, people. Likely of an ammo depot. And we know NOTHING about where this was even filmed.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Just to add my support to the fact it was an ammo dump, there are objects strongly resembling fireworks that you can see cooking off and in some cases exploding in mid air.

The characteristics of the flame as well, of having a large plume that then "disconnects" from the ground is also similar to what one would expect from burning left over artillery charge bags. As Libya possesses large amounts of artillery, mostly with variable charge ammunition (you tailor the muzzle velocity to what you want by removing charge bags from the cartridge) this dump likely contained a large amount of artillery munitions. The burn apparent burn time on the ground is also consistent with a munitions fire rather than, say, vegetation ignition from a hypothetical nuclear strike, or use of napalm.

Youtube link of a charge bag fire

This would then suggest that at least some of the munitions seen cooking off would be 122mm rockets used in the Libyan BM-21 "Grad" MRLS.
edit on 1-4-2011 by AlphaOfTheOmega because: Fixing the youtube link

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Could this be a video of the explosion at the Rajma military base outside Benghazi? i believe that happened on the 5th March. There was a post regarding "micro nukes" (whatever) turned out to be ammo dump.

ATS post

More on the story

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join