It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OH MY GOD IT"S A MIRACLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Jesus made the blind see again, right?
So, is that a miracle by today's standards?
Yeah, kind of; especially if Jesus only used his energies instead of modern day technology.

So, what is a miracle? Something that happens that cannot be explained or something that happens that cannot be explained at the time of the miracle.

God himself said that we were "created in his image" does that mean humankind, with all of it's knowledge and technology, will become a God?

I guess I'm just asking if bible miracles can be explained with advanced technology.

Life is so damn confusing sometimes....

[Edited on 24-3-2003 by 29MV29]

arc

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I reckon some of the miracles from the bible can be explained with better translation. In the case of the blind woman, are we stuck in literal thinking? Jesus was possibly using an analogy to mean that instead of curing the eyesight he was actually opening the woman's eyes to his teachings.

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I thought he said in our image...

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by arc
I reckon some of the miracles from the bible can be explained with better translation. In the case of the blind woman, are we stuck in literal thinking? Jesus was possibly using an analogy to mean that instead of curing the eyesight he was actually opening the woman's eyes to his teachings.

Bingo! The word for today is parable.

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Genesis 1:26
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping animal that creepeth upon the earth.

Genesis 1:27
So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

you are right as well

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 10:40 AM
link   
par�a�ble n.

A simple story illustrating a moral or religious lesson.

[Middle English, from Old French, from Late Latin parabola, from Greek parabol, from paraballein, to compare : para-, beside ; see para-1 + ballein, to throw; see gwel- in Indo-European roots.]

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Ok so then what about his resurrection or him curing a leper, he even turned water into wine. I'm not talking about literal meaning; you're missing the point of this thread. I will give you an example:

How about a five year old kid who sees a magician performing incredible tricks, 15 years later he begins to understand it really is not magic it's illusion and figures out how the tricks are done.

That may be a bad example, but I think most of you will be able to put two and two together.

[Edited on 24-3-2003 by 29MV29]

posted on Mar, 25 2003 @ 12:45 PM
link   
29MV29 I think people understood what you were trying to say but they don't believe those miracles described should be taken literally but instead as metaphors. Thus there would be no point in explaining what gene sequence did Jesus change in order to turn the lepper into a normal person

posted on Mar, 25 2003 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Didn't Jesus say "Ye are Gods", "you are my brothers", "the kingdom of God is within and around you" (last quote from dead sea scrolls) etc...???

posted on Mar, 26 2003 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Why Parables?
www.biblestudygames.com...

I. Jesus also turned the water into wine at the wedding.

A. Details about the Wedding

1. Jesus and His disciples invited

2. Some things we don't know about the wedding.

a. Don't know who was getting married.

b. Don't know any details about them.

3. Speculation concerning the marriage.

a. Probably some relative of Mary or Joseph.

b. Mary's prominence indicates a family wedding.

4. It is interesting to see how closely Jesus is associated with His disciples.

a. An invitation to Jesus included His disciples.

b. Others should know that Jesus goes where we go.

B. What did it mean to us?

1. Think about it, Jesus was ready to begin his public ministry, yet he took the time to attend a wedding.

2. I believe Christ's presence at this wedding reveals to us His heart.

3. It reminds us that He truly cares about ordinary people like you and me, and that He is concerned about the everyday issues of our lives.

(HEB 4:15) "FOR WE HAVE NOT AN HIGH PRIEST WHICH CANNOT BE TOUCHED WITH THE FEELING OF OUR INFIRMITIES; BUT WAS IN ALL POINTS TEMPTED LIKE AS WE ARE, YET WITHOUT SIN."

4. Regardless of who you are or what your circumstances are, Jesus cares about you. That's a fact.

II. Jesus Is Able To Meet Our Need

A. The Need at the Wedding.

1. They ran out of wine.

2. That may seem to be trivial to us, but in Jesus' time wedding celebrations very important.

3. Weddings are great places for problems.

B. Mary handles the problem.

1. She takes the problem to Jesus

2. This is a good example for us when problems come, we need to take them to the Lord.

3. Mary's instructions to the servants, "Whatsoever He saith unto you, do it"

4. We should always be ready to do what Jesus wants us to do.

C. Mary knew who Jesus Christ really was.

1. Perhaps she was anxious for Jesus Christ to do something to demonstrate to the people who He was.

2. That He was no ordinary son, but that He was the Son of God Himself.

3. Jesus responds to her with a gentle rebuke.

Note: (Jesus is not being disrespectful here.)

b. Several times in the gospel of John, the Bible says his hour was not yet come.

c. But the night before the cross in prayer, according to John 17, He looks up to the Father and he says , Father, the hour is come that the Son of man should be glorified.

d. So Jesus is saying to his mother...it is not my miracles that people need to see, it is the sheding of my blood on the cross of Calvary.

e. It is not the miracle of Cana that saves you and me today and meets our greatest need, it is the miracle of Calvary.

III. What We Can Learn from this Miracle.

A. The Thirsty Crowd:

1. This is a picture of those who are without Christ in their lives.

a. They are looking for satisfaction in this world, but only Jesus can satisfy our souls!

b. The Word of God invites thirsty sinners to come to Christ.

c. "...If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink." (John 7:37)

B. The Empty Waterpots.

1. This is a picture of the human heart.

2. It is hard and empty, things may appear to look good on the outside, but inside there is only emptiness.

3. The Bible tells us that man looks on the outward appearance, but God looks upon the heart.

C. Filled with water.

1. Water is a picture of the Word of God.

2. The job of the servants was to fill the pots with water, not to try to change the water into wine!

3. If we will do our part, sharing the Word of God with those who are thirsting, He will do the miracle!

D. The Miracle: Water into wine!

1. When a sinner's heart has been filled with the Word of God, then Christ performs a great miracle.

2. The miracle of salvation takes a lost sinner, and fills him with joy as he becomes a part of the family of God.

3. The wine is a picture of that joy and gladness!

4. Note the example of Phillip and the Ethiopian in Acts 8:27-39

a. Phillip gave him the Word.

b. God performed the miracle of salvation.

c. The eunuch went on his way rejoicing!

[Edited on 3-26-03 by pacman]

posted on Mar, 26 2003 @ 07:14 AM
link   
US Patriot what has this got to do with the miracles????????

Is there a Mod or Admin about to have a word with this guy?

posted on Mar, 26 2003 @ 09:18 AM
link   
HA! I learned from a do it yourself magic tricks how to turn water into orange juice! Not wine, but same priciple.

And haven't you ever seen 20/20? It's a scam with the healing. "I shall heal you of your arthritis! Smack! Ok, go around back to pick the money up.

Then with walking on water, a lizard can do it, bugs do it, not that much of a miracle. Besides, I've walked on water, it's called ice!(lol)

Anyways, why isn't the book ever literal? It isn' literal unless it is good. Smash babies heads on a rock? Doesn't meant tha. Heals the blind? That's what it means.

posted on Mar, 26 2003 @ 10:47 AM
link   
This may be the mischievous road to nowhere, cyberchums.
If it could be "explained", it would not be a "miracle": live with inexplicability or devote your energies to another cause.
And if you wish to know anything about English etymology (on the basis of this thread) better U2U Estragon ( poor results though you'll get) than rely on Ctr+V drivel.

posted on Mar, 31 2003 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by 29MV29
I guess I'm just asking if bible miracles can be explained with advanced technology.

They can be explained WITHOUT advanced technology, though you may not like the explaination.

There is NO contemporary evidence (beyond the Bible) that Jesus existed and no contemporary evidence of his doing any miracles. No, Josephus and so forth wrote AFTER Jesus' death and said "I heard it from someone who told me..." and they didn't relate any miracles.

At that time, there were quite a few people running around who were doing miracles of the same order as Jesus (look up Simon the magician sometime). Unlike Jesus, these folks ARE documented by several other contemporary sources.

So... it could have been a myth, an exaggeration, a type of healing done by faith (there are many such of those. Kings were once thought to have this power)... there's a thousand explainations and none of them need any modern tech.

You can also use several religious explainations, including the Christian one or ones from various New Age non-Christian religions (such as "he was channeling energy" or "he wore crystals and was channeling the power of the crystals."

posted on Apr, 1 2003 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I don't know Jesus personally but a freind of mines neighbor said he could do some amazing stuff... He once tuned cat urine into dog urine...

posted on Apr, 2 2003 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I can see Jesus' face in my potato!!!

*starts building a shrine to the Jesus potato....*

[sarcasm off]

I think it's very likely that Jesus' "miracles" were exaggerations of what really happened. If you really examine it closely, who was the one constantly pushing Jesus on to minister? Who was the one who planted the seed of his so-called "divinity". It all comes back to one very strong, and very bright lady...Mary, his mother. Can anyone (outside of Mary) really attest to the Virgin birth? (No Joseph doesn't count, and for two reasons, he either went along with it, or there was another, unknown man (not God) involved there...).

Take the "resurrected" bird story for example.... I had the same thing happen when I was a child. The bird flew into something and was stunned... A few minutes after I picked it up, it suddenly sprang to life and flew off. Does that make me the son of God? Uh...no. Lazarus was likely in a coma, not dead. It's not like most "doctors" of the time could tell the difference sometimes, in the case of severe ones. So, he's holed up (and not exactly airtight), Jesus comes along, here's the murmuring, gets the stone out of the way...Lazarus is pretty out of it, Jesus brings him out, Mary exclaims "It's a miracle!" What's Jesus supposed to say? Call his mom a liar? No, I doubt it.... Too many easy explainations for each miracle....

posted on Apr, 2 2003 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Makes you want to rethink the way the bible was written...

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Let's see someone get treated the way Jesus Christ was treated and then die, and RESURRECT............
all this for mankind.........

Jesus Christ was the only person to RESURRECT and His Ressurection is what Christianity is about..........

Many things happen today that cannot be proven by Scientific research.............

Just look at the way Science has made people beleive that the world was created by """""""""BANG"""""""""

GEE THATS A MIRACLE!!!

OR USING THE THEORY OF EVOLUTION as ""fact"" and lying about the fact that they manipulated the findings of ""Man"" before he became ""man""

People want to beleive what they are comfortable with, and themselves beleive to be ""God"" but will always fail ,because no matter what or who we are, rich or poor we all die ...........................

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 10:27 AM
link   
One thing, he could have been in a coma or passed out from the pain. People were buried all the time and were still alive. That is where "graveyard" shift came. Have a bell connected to the person, if still alive would ring it and the guy waiting would get people to dig him up.

Also, Mary was a virgin, a young female! Back then virgin meant young female! Not never had sex! Like b*tch use to mean a female dog used for breeding, but now a cuss word. Or punk use to mean gay prostitute, now means kids who listen to punk music and stuff.

[Edited on 3-4-2003 by Total Truth]

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I too have heard of "graveyard shift". Maybe things are all a misunderstanding. They couldn't explain it, so they pawned it off on a God.

I have no problem with there being a god, you just have to prove it first.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join