It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Artificial Reality

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
What if, there was a means to biologically augment a person, so that what they saw allowed them to exist in a partially simulated reality. They would occupy the same planet, same universe, however, live in a realm that is partially based on the real world, and partially a construction of thier imaginations.

Implications:

A) Some individuals might die in the virtual world and become a partial computer simulation when their awareness escapes thier body.
B) The A.R. opens a quantum gateway to another dimension, allowing beings from other dimensions to tamper with thier reality.

Question: What if there was some kind of "skip" or "reset" in the system? Would you see if you really exist in the real world, or would you be se completley absorbed in the artificial world that you prevent yourself from escaping by crossing over to the other side?

Further Implication:

A) The real world has become boring, the artificial world offers promises, there are thus new influxes of individuals wishing to participate in the A.R.

B) The A.R. also offers an extended A.R. - to completley die in the real world, and become a manifestation of the A.R. universe, allowing superhuman abilities... Paradoxically, ascending to an alternate plane of existence where other beings are able to come into contact with you?

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SystemResistor

Implications:

A) Some individuals might die in the virtual world and become a partial computer simulation when their awareness escapes thier body.

By what means?

B) The A.R. opens a quantum gateway to another dimension, allowing beings from other dimensions to tamper with thier reality.

I've yet to see any bad guys from video games roaming the real world.

Further Implication:

A) The real world has become boring, the artificial world offers promises, there are thus new influxes of individuals wishing to participate in the A.R.

Video game junkies, not all too uncommon today.

B) The A.R. also offers an extended A.R. - to completley die in the real world, and become a manifestation of the A.R. universe, allowing superhuman abilities... Paradoxically, ascending to an alternate plane of existence where other beings are able to come into contact with you?

WTF and HUH? are the only things that currently come to mind here...

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Call me crazy, I don't give a F**K....I think I am here on this planet by myself to learn something or either to have a good time. I think everyone else is just part of this unreality that is here to make things seem real. I think I have until the age of 60, (6) being the number for man to do what I am here to do or learn. There are so many things when I think about it that actually can't be real and can't work like they are said to work...I think everyone has a world to do this own. It may all just be a game we like to play...I want know till its over but I am sure I will like what I find in the end....I hope everyone else will to...So, see ya when it's all over.....

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Is this the plot of The Thirteenth Floor?

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

To fully grasp what I am trying to explain, you have to understand the idea of the effect that human observation has upon reality. The double-slit experiment shows that when observed, the state of matter changes, from being a wave or a more fluid, flux-like state, to a partice, a more defined, structural state. That being said, all it would take to create an artificial reality, would be to somehow hardwire our brain or our eyes or our senses with alternate senses. If we change how our eyes see the world, we effectivley would exist in a different reality.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

I hear you LOUD and CLEAR....

edit on 4/1/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by SystemResistor
reply to post by sirnex

To fully grasp what I am trying to explain, you have to understand the idea of the effect that human observation has upon reality. The double-slit experiment shows that when observed, the state of matter changes, from being a wave or a more fluid, flux-like state, to a partice, a more defined, structural state. That being said, all it would take to create an artificial reality, would be to somehow hardwire our brain or our eyes or our senses with alternate senses. If we change how our eyes see the world, we effectivley would exist in a different reality.

The double-slit experiment has to do with the instruments doing the observation. The human mind never directly observes anything. Never has and never will. We have external instruments that receive all the information around us, shoots it through our nerves into our brains where these frequencies are then encoded into meaningful data that our brains can make sense of to ensure we don't stupidly keep our hands on a hot burner, or so we don't drink a gallon of bleach.

Augmenting reality doesn't change the reality we exist within as the augmentation is still confined to the same reality in which the augmentation was created. Your not effectively creating a new separate reality in which if your "in the game" and "die in the game" your mind is transferred into the game. I've never went to virtual heaven after dying in countless video games.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

In another sense, imagine an intense form of permanant hallucination, existing in the real world to our eyes, but perceiving existance in an alternate world. And not the kind of hallucination that creates paranoia, a kind of "good" hallucination, that creates alternate perceptions of the same events, thus creating an alternate reality or alternate perception of reality.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by SystemResistor
reply to post by sirnex

In another sense, imagine an intense form of permanant hallucination, existing in the real world to our eyes, but perceiving existance in an alternate world. And not the kind of hallucination that creates paranoia, a kind of "good" hallucination, that creates alternate perceptions of the same events, thus creating an alternate reality or alternate perception of reality.

Key here is... it's still confined to THIS REALITY...

Your not creating a new reality, you can never create a new reality, there will never be another reality.

Even if we exist within a multiverse, every universe is still bound by one singular reality. It all coexists within one reality. There are no other realities. There may be different paths, but the universe we exist within we are bound by. Augmenting what we see in a virtual world doesn't transport you to another universe. Jesus effin Christ... no one listens anymore to science class when in school...

It's like logic and critical thinking are now considered tools of the devil and should be shunned...
edit on 2-4-2011 by sirnex because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   

That being said, all it would take to create an artificial reality, would be to somehow hardwire our brain or our eyes or our senses with alternate senses. If we change how our eyes see the world, we effectivley would exist in a different reality.

Perhaps we would co-exist in two different realities, our physical body existing in the consensual material reality, and the mind existing in the alternate reality accessed by the extra senses (extra-sensory perception?).

To some extent, we all co-exist in two different realities every time we enter the dreaming state during sleep. Our bodies are asleep in the physical world, but our awareness is caught up in the dream-state reality.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Except I would never choose to live this life.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by sirnex

Jesus effin Christ... no one listens anymore to science class when in school...

Science is just another religion, like faith. I mean, did science create man or did man create science?

Just because Christianity/Science 'says this' doesn't mean 'this is', bro man.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Davian

Originally posted by sirnex

Jesus effin Christ... no one listens anymore to science class when in school...

Science is just another religion, like faith. I mean, did science create man or did man create science?

Just because Christianity/Science 'says this' doesn't mean 'this is', bro man.

Please don't take me the wrong way. I'm not a fundamentalist science advocate either. I strongly detest current scientific practice and all of Einsteinian physics. It is indeed a religious practice these days.

Yet common sense SHOULD tell anyone with a shred of common sense that anything created WITHIN this reality is BOUND BY THIS REALITY.

It's really a no brainer here. You'd have to be a complete retard to think otherwise. Literally.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

It depends on what we call "this reality" - this reality could simply be far more diverse than we realise. Perhaps, the whole idea of alternate realities is based upon the individual perceiver, groups of perceivers who perceive along the same "perceptual lines" exist within their own relative realities, or within their own "realms" of perception, with multiple realms of perception within the sum total of this entire plane of existence or reality.

In a sense, I agree that another reality would be totally separate, perhaps like another "bubble" in a multiverse, perhaps different realms are different spectrums of perception within the same physical construct, and different realities are entirely different physical constructs.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Caji316
Call me crazy, I don't give a F**K....I think I am here on this planet by myself to learn something or either to have a good time. I think everyone else is just part of this unreality that is here to make things seem real. I think I have until the age of 60, (6) being the number for man to do what I am here to do or learn. There are so many things when I think about it that actually can't be real and can't work like they are said to work...I think everyone has a world to do this own. It may all just be a game we like to play...I want know till its over but I am sure I will like what I find in the end....I hope everyone else will to...So, see ya when it's all over.....

You know what! i have always had the same feeling of what you say. The only thing is that you can change anything in this reality if you really wanted. That is when faith comes ,if you ask Jehovah on your knees he will listen to you. Just my 2 cents!

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   

In a sense, I agree that another reality would be totally separate, perhaps like another "bubble" in a multiverse, perhaps different realms are different spectrums of perception within the same physical construct, and different realities are entirely different physical constructs.

Let's pretend this to be true. You are a physical construct of this reality and this reality alone. Even if you augment artificially what you perceive, you are still physically bound to this reality. You die being physically bound to this reality, regardless of augmenting perception, you die accordingly to what this reality dictates as you are BOUND TO THIS REALITY STILL!

Come on dude, it isn't that hard to understand. You are never going to be part of an augmentation. You will never dies in an augmentation and be uploaded to whatever afterlife is programed in that augmentation as both you and that augmentation are created within this reality and thus are both bound to this reality. More specifically, YOU are PHYSICALLY bound to this reality, body and mind.

If you walk off a cliff in this reality thinking your prancing through a field of flowers in an augmented reality, you will die in the reality falling off a cliff. I don't give a damn how realistic the augmentation looks. Fact is, you still walked off a cliff.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

I guess thats true, the only way it could work is if there is a kind of perfect synchronicity between the experiences in the real world and the experiences in the augmented perception. Perhaps one could die in the real world, and exist in the augmented world exclusivley, as some kind of system manifestation or hologram. However, to the people that are still walking in the real world, it might appear as if the people in the completley augmented world are some kind of "others". That is until, the augmented world and the real world experience some kind of "reset" where people can choose between a life in the real world (where they might or might not still exist) and a life in the augmented world. Again, I think im just letting my imagination run my thoughts, its probably wrong, but its always good to speculate.
edit on 4-4-2011 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

top topics

join