It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Food Crisis Deepening, "Food Shock" Report

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
The article is missing one key piece of the puzzle. We now have direct recent knowledge of how financial speculation in commodity markets can create not only unprecedented volatility, but also affect food prices with extreme effects on hunger and nutrition for at least half of humanity.
We need to act quickly to ensure effective regulations in this area. Dealing with supply issues in a serious and sustainable way has never been more compelling than right now. The article also forgot to mention ‘inflation”

We are living in unstable times and a quick glance at the news dominating the headlines will attest to the volatile predicament we are now facing; escalating turmoil in the Middle East, potentially devastating radiation levels hanging over Japan following the deadly earthquake and tsunami, and an unsettling economic climate that has contributed to alarming unemployment rates within our own country are just a few of the issues but if we look closer there is a crisis deepening that could cause more damage than all of these problems.

The global food crisis is real, and its impact on our daily life is anything but subtle as we have seen food prices increase steadily over the past few years and with a particularly harsh winter damaging global crop production and the threat of a drought looming over China, it's likely that we haven't seen the worst of the disaster.

Already we are seeing the price of essential food items like fruits and vegetables climb to levels that place them out of the reach of many Americans; wheat and corn crops have plummeted, contributing to a spike in the cost of beef, chicken, pork and other commodity prices; and the crops that are being grown simply don't contain the nutrition levels that we need, and in many cases are actually toxic to our body.

This isn't a Hollywood doomsday movie, it's the reality that we are all facing and unless we take responsibility for our own health then we could be forced to endure hardships that we could never envision. Those images we see on TV of countries enduring food riots, widespread malnourishment, and long food lines could soon become a reality within the United States, making it imperative that we fully understand how to counter the food price increases and secure our own consistent food supply source to protect not only ourselves but our families as well

www.sys-con.com...

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Trust me, it's not production it's lack of distribution.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

Yes, that too. They are either holding out or running low on government commodities. What's your take on that? They are hoarding it for themselves? The cost and effort to ship it? I do expect agriculture to get hit hard this year.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Regulations are not the answer, because government is a huge part of the problem. You cannot have a fox guard the hen house. We need to do a massive reset. All over the world, but at a minimum here in the US. We need to get rid of our "rulers" from owebowma on down. Just a clean sweep and reset all of our laws to just the constitution, including keeping all amendments, with the possible exception of the 14th amendment. The 14th needs to be understood as giving citizenship only to the slaves, not this abomination where it has been interpreted as making all of us into slaves of the federal government.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

I meant regulations on commodity stocks. It’s like falling dominoes. The stock exchange was never intended to control the economy but it has been for a long time. The only reason business is doing well is they fired most of their workers.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by wonderworld

I still say that government is part of the problem here, not part of the solution. If we can ever effect real change in our government, then maybe they can become part of the solution, Just saying "there ought to be a law" is what got us into this mess we are already in. More laws and regulations are not the answer. We really need to start all over with all these laws.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

I'm worried if they start with making new laws. The financial industry needs supervision, what happened in 2008 was small in comparison to what will happen next. I think we will skip deflation, stagflation and head directly in to hyperinflation in the near future. At least during the Great Depression our 100 bucks in the bank was still worth 100 bucks. Hyperinflation here could cause a months wages to buy a loaf of bread.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I am always worried they will slowly starve the world. I know they think they need to depopulate, even though the earth takes care of that every 64 million years or so (we're at 68 million now, I think)
I know for a fact that food prices have sky rocketed, because I shop every week, and my bill has gone from $250 to $325 to $350 a week, buying the same items.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by sickofitall2012

I know for a fact that food prices have sky rocketed, because I shop every week, and my bill has gone from $250 to $325 to $350 a week, buying the same items.

AHAH! RIght there.. and its getting worse. Even when the excuse of high gas prices causing grocery prices to soar falls to previous prices, the price of food never falls with it.. have you noticed?

RIght now we have chosen to eat "healthy" and have been buying free range and etc for several yrs. It is incredibly expensive to "eat healthy"... and the price rises constantly. Organic farms and the places we get our certain meat keep going under with economy and new laws. Soon the only thing anyone will be able to afford is McD0nalds. I did a worksheet on eating fast food versus buying healthy.. by FAR eating crap fast food at McD's 3 times a day for 5 people was cheaper! That should make some folks sit up and consider the implications.

Just a tiny example: free range chicken breasts (and the complete chickens are smaller) are about 1/2 the size of factory chicken due to the growth hormones. For a family of 5 you need at LEAST 2 whole chickens for every meal.

One of the thngs we found saves a TON of money and we dont feel the food shock so bad is that we only eat whats in season if we buy even from the organic farms. We can our own from the gardens or what we buy from the farms too. But eating in season is a HUGE factor. As a culture.. we are now used to food of whatever kind at any time we want.. just a drive to the grocery store and voila. In order to not feel the food shock.. which is already here and not a future problem anymore.. there are things you can do and you must change your eating habits and patterns.

Knowing what is happening with food distribution for purchase it would do everyone good to see what they can do on an individual base and change habits, because I feel it will only get worse and you arent changing the govts mind on any of this anytime soon.

top topics

join