It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government to bring in troops if strikes erupt at privatised Prison.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Well for a start it was news to me that we here in the UK would follow Americas route in privatising the prison service. Locking up people for profit is something that I find quite worrying. Yet it seems if prison guards strike over this action the government will bring in troops to keep prisons running.

"We have to be prepared should anything go wrong," he told MPs.

The Prison Officers' Association (POA) said it would not rule out industrial action in protest at the decision, despite the fact that such action may be illegal.

Clarke said the military contingency plans, involving up to 3,000 trained regular soldiers, were needed because industrial action involving prisons "can rapidly become far worse than an ordinary strike".

The justice secretary told MPs: "Nobody is contemplating a military takeover of a prison; the governor will still be in charge. But it is only proper that we have made military preparations that would be required if serious trouble erupts."

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Ugghhh... Care to point out where its illegal for starters? Secondly, why dont you compare private prisons to those that are state / federal run and compare before spouting off.

Just a suggestion.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
Ugghhh... Care to point out where its illegal for starters? Secondly, why dont you compare private prisons to those that are state / federal run and compare before spouting off.

Just a suggestion.

This is in the UK mate, so before you come in this thread spouting off, read the OP and the link

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Another way for the government to save money - didn't we have a prison officers strike before and all the inmates were locked in their cells during the strikes, weren't they? I don't remember the troops being called in to look after them then

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by blackcat99

How do private prisons save money?
Do you have the figures?

BTW, here in Australia we also have private prisons..
I don't see why tax payer funded soldiers should have to stand in and replace private guards..
I hope the corporations are sent a big bill at the end...

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Prisons for profit = more prisoners.

Face it, they are not building prisons to LOSE money.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Just a suggestion.

Sounds like someone works in the for profit prison industry, eh?

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

Just a suggestion.

This is in the UK mate, so before you come in this thread spouting off, read the OP and the link

I did.. when you said following us example you made the comparison. As I said before.. do some research before making the baseless generalizaion.

Cheers

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by aching_knuckles

God no.. being educated on how a.system works does not mean a person works for an industry. If we use that theory then evetyone posting in these forums are paranoid schitzos.

At what point did education become the enemy?

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Any private industries main function is to generate profit..
In a state run prison for example, you try to reform the prisoners so they don't re offend once released..
Why would a private prison do that??

Private prisons make no sense to me...

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

Any private industries main function is to generate profit..
In a state run prison for example, you try to reform the prisoners so they don't re offend once released..
Why would a private prison do that??

Private prisons make no sense to me...

Private prisons are a completely different "private animal" than other private industries. They are governed by a completely different set of rules than a private business is, namely being held to to same standard law enforcement is in terms of what can and cannot be done.

How does a private prison make money since the inmates are not working?

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   

What a silly question..
They are paid per day/ per prisoner..
The more the merrier in their eyes..

So rehabilitation does NOT suit their profit agenda and is obvious from what I hear of private prison systems...

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Private prisons are a completely different "private animal" than other private industries. They are governed by a completely different set of rules than a private business is, namely being held to to same standard law enforcement is in terms of what can and cannot be done.

Got to call BS on this on Xcathdra

They use prisioners to work for 17 cents an hour for JC Penny, Toys R Us, Microsoft, IBM, K Mart...........and dozens of other top companies.............ever wonder where all the jobs went? It a great scam.........hire prision labor for 17 cents an hour to do the same job they would be doing for 10-15$ an hour......move all the jobs there and those unemployed will turn to crime to feed their families.....resulting in new slaves.........pass more laws and longer time to beef up profits.

Kinda makes LEOs modern slave catchers

Here is the link to my thread all about it

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by lastrebel

Care to explain how companies like Kmart and the others you listed are part of the Government, or how the work they do for 17cents a day make the prison money?

Also, the most recent studies show there is no real cost savings between private and government, so again the argument being made in the thread is inacurate.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

What a silly question..
They are paid per day/ per prisoner..
The more the merrier in their eyes..

So rehabilitation does NOT suit their profit agenda and is obvious from what I hear of private prison systems...

Rehabilitation is present, and inmates are free to chose those paths on their own. You can walk a horse to water...

As stated above, private prisons vs government run show no real cost difference, so the argument its done to turn a profit is not valid at all.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Most of the answers are on the other thread I dont want to hi jack this one making the same arguements here as there

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by lastrebel

Most of the answers are on the other thread I dont want to hi jack this one making the same arguements here as there

Good point... Sorry OP -
Rebel I will check your link s out tomrrow.. been a long week, and spent to much time on airplanes lol.. Jet lagged, so I will argue with you tomrrowsih over there.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   
The reason it saves money if from the governments perspective - they don't have to pay for a prison (or as much) that is in private hands - another set of ridiculous privatisation schemes by yet another conservative government

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Rehabilitation is present, and inmates are free to chose those paths on their own. You can walk a horse to water...

As stated above, private prisons vs government run show no real cost difference, so the argument its done to turn a profit is not valid at all.

The cost per prisoner may be the same which begs the question, why go private??
Also, care to equate that to the increase in prisoner numbers??
There's money in quantity..

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Military running our prisons? sounds like a good idea, maybe then the inmates wont be running the prisons and instead they will get what they deserve and acctually be treated like prisoners and not a butlins holiday camp.

top topics

join