It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bomb explodes at Swiss nuclear group

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Bomb explodes at Swiss nuclear group

www.cnn.com

Two people were injured when a parcel bomb exploded on Thursday in the offices of a Swiss umbrella group for the nuclear industry, police said.

The incident occurred in the offices of Swissnuclear in the town of Olten. The pair suffered minor injuries and were taken to a hospital.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Many countries have postponed the construction of new nuclear plants and taken a look at their own safety precautions in light of the disaster in Japan.

This is probably only the beginning of the backlash that nuclear agencies in many countries will face in the wake of events at Fukushima as people across the world seem to be calling for alternatives to nuclear energy.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
This company is a nuclear lobby. Two women was injured by opening a letter bomb.
I feel sorry for these women, I read they were OK though.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Skittle

Yes, thankfully they are ok. I am all for the governments of the world finding a safer alternative to nuclear energy but this is a bit extreme.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I hope we don't start seeing this more often,
people are starting to get concerned about
nuclear energy and I can't blame them. But
planting bombs and injuring people is not
the way to go about it. I hope the women
will be alright.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Nuclear power is a source with massive potential and scare mongering on the part of conventional energy companies who have influence in the media and governments is getting out of hand.
I Know what happened in Chernobyl and whats happening in Fukishima are terrible events but we need alternative energy sources and nuclear energy is the most reliable, most efficient and its safe but we must constantly evaluate safety measures and security so that accidents like Chernobyl are kept to a minimum.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by roasted aliv3

Exactly... What do you do when when you are learning to ride a bike and you fall off and get bruised and scraped? You get back on the bike with a new lesson learned under your belt.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

But have we really learned anything from our mistakes? Take Chernobyl for example. After Chernobyl there should have been a set safety standard for all nuclear reactors, regardless of where they are located. Instead, these reactors are built to diiferent specs depending on their location. A reactor here in Ohio is not built to withstand a devastating earthquake, whereas in California it obviously would be.

A mere 5 miles from where I live sits a nuclear power plant. After it's completion, it was discovered that it straddles a fault line. Now as I stated, reactors here aren't built to withstand a powerful earthquake. Well obviously they aren't going to tear it down and start over, so it's a case of we will deal with that when/if it happens. Maybe when it comes to nuclear power our governments should be a little more proactive and a hell of a lot less reactive.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
The State ran Chernobyl, and private enterprise ran Fukashima, both have been awful disasters, so who is better equipped to run them? Private enterprise put profits and their investors first, and most governments are too bureaucratic and incompetent to manage.Given that oil is a finite resource and coal is unfashionable even though clean burning technologies are available, what choice is there, it will have to be nuclear.

Wind, solar and tidal are not really going to keep our lights on are they? I wish that some decent less profit orientated organization would run these current and future nuclear sites around the planet.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkOutlook
The State ran Chernobyl, and private enterprise ran Fukashima, both have been awful disasters, so who is better equipped to run them?

A totally disingenuous comparison - decrepit Soviet state control v an unprecedented natural disaster.

But who ran the Exxon Vadez or Deepwater? The latter of which is in every way (so far) a bigger disaster than Fukushima.

But I guess the oil industry are loving all this.
edit on 31-3-2011 by Essan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
My question is why is such a group wasting efforts now when in June there will be just about every middle to top power broker in the free world? Hardly the nuclear lobby group is of any significance in comparison.

In light of the bilderberg coming up I have to believe that this effort is a hoax/falsie perpetrated by the oil mercs.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkOutlook

Given that oil is a finite resource and coal is unfashionable even though clean burning technologies are available, what choice is there, it will have to be nuclear.

There are other nuclear fuels beside Uranium. Thorium shows a lot of promise for being much safer. See my posts at: www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...
(This was the first one)
www.abovetopsecret.com...

China is also "amassing" gold and another very important resource - ENERGY!

I doubt that they will allow the problems in Japan slow them down much less stop them.

China is now building two power plants every week, says the UK's top climate change envoy: news.bbc.co.uk...

China is building 500 coal plants over the next ten years: windfarms.wordpress.com...

China to build 60 nuclear reactors over next decade...

China plans to build six nuclear power plants a year over the next decade, increasing its nuclear power capacity to more than 70 gigawatts by 2020, according to a top official of a nuclear power company. www.asahi.com...

The MSM (owned by the bankers) is busy blowing the Japanese disaster all out of proportion to reinstill fear of nuclear. This plus more inflation/no gold pretty much means the "west" will be left in the dust by China. This is all part of the plan to "De-industrialize" the USA and the chicken littles are all helping TPTB insure our demise. (I hope they like living in a third world country because I don't!)

How come everyone forgets all the nuclear bombs exploded above ground in the fifties and sixties at White Sands and Trinity???

There were over 900 atmospheric and underground nuclear test in the USA alone. There were 12 high-altitude nuclear tests during the late 1950′s and early 1960′s off the coast of California at Johnston Island.

From 1945 until 2008, there have been over 2,000 nuclear tests conducted worldwide.

Source: www.atomicarchive.com...

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by IamAbeliever
reply to post by HunkaHunka

But have we really learned anything from our mistakes? Take Chernobyl for example. After Chernobyl there should have been a set safety standard for all nuclear reactors, regardless of where they are located. Instead, these reactors are built to diiferent specs depending on their location. A reactor here in Ohio is not built to withstand a devastating earthquake, whereas in California it obviously would be.

A mere 5 miles from where I live sits a nuclear power plant. After it's completion, it was discovered that it straddles a fault line. Now as I stated, reactors here aren't built to withstand a powerful earthquake. Well obviously they aren't going to tear it down and start over, so it's a case of we will deal with that when/if it happens. Maybe when it comes to nuclear power our governments should be a little more proactive and a hell of a lot less reactive.

Yes, however, chernobyl happened in a different place at a different time.... There are a lot of factors that went into that which made many people say "well, you'll have that in place which has been soviet ruled"... But with Japan... It's a different take and it makes folks really, really notice.

Keep in mind, this is not to say that those perceptions are right... Just that they are motivating or non-motivating factors

new topics

top topics

join