It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What about second hand stuff?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
G'day, Got a good question for you lot and the out come may consider whether we need to take some action or not.

I was downloading some content that I purchased from an on line store, when I got to thinking. How the hell would I get this signed?

I know that the record labels, music companies, on line gaming and god knows who else, needs to make money from the sale of their product. I'm fine with that. In the past though I could, if it was a poor record, sell it to a second hand store, sell it to someone who enjoyed it. With a digitally locked song or Album, I can't. This makes me poorer and those record labels richer.

I also can't get it signed, I don't get a pic with it, or a cover. Never will a coded song on my computer, will it ever be worth anymore than what I paid for it. There goes collecting out the window, an area where middle classed or poorer person could keep something long enough that it may well help them move up a class. Even comics are being sold digitally now. There goes the hope of finding superman no1 in your granma's treasure box. Rich people know this, this is why they invest in art. I think this is a way to help control the wealth of the middle class/lower class.

I guess I'm having a whinge, but I think that these issues are ones we need to look at. I mean some of you would have collect-ables, that you treasure, would you want to deprive people in the future of this? Is this what we are doing by downloading and supporting this medium?

Also it would have to be alot cheaper for the companies, not to have to use cd/dvd's and the likes. They would have to be making more money not having to spend capital on materials to supply the masses with their products? This would also be making them richer?

Should we be able to sell the songs once bought?

Have the second hand shops and we/ us the consumers been selling musical content for years illegally?

If not why is the selling of digitally locked songs, once purchased, illegal?

Okay just checking out what you think on this?

By the way I think this is a society issue, so if its not meant to be is this forum, move it if you want!

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
This is a good subject, we are maker the rich, richer and we don't even know it. Sometimes I think I need to add that aliens are doing it just to get anyone to look?

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Should i have put this in conspiracy theories?

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I agree with you 100% on this.

From purchasing video games through direct download services like steam and direct2drive, music from itunes, amazon, and streaming movies and TV, the secondhand market does seem to be vanishing.

I will say though, it has made me doubly reluctant to buy a video game outright without having tried it, because if it's no good I can't resell it. I've basically wasted my money.

I believe that's why there has been such a push for pre-order bonuses (IE: special in-game items or t-shirts, some gimmicky crap). They want to entice people to make the purchase before the game has been adequately reviewed.

I still buy CDs, I've only purchased a few digital CDs so far.

I believe that is the goal though. Kill the second hand market to make more profits on the primary market. Instead, what this is doing is encouraging piracy. People who wouldn't want to pay full price for a game, who might have purchased a game second-hand or for a reduced price, might just pirate it now.

Change is certainly afoot, some of it good, some of it bad.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
This is why I love pirates. I can try everything digital first, then decide if it worth investing in said digital product. Put out an album with only one or two good songs on it? I won't invest in that album sorry. Make a movie that is crap and I will never watch it again. Nope, not investing in that.
edit on 31-3-2011 by TKDRL2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Yeah I believe we gotta stand and and make them understand this is gunna make us poorer. Yes if its bad you can't resell it. I think they are trying to trick us.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Well if i'm wrong you could also state why you think that I am wrong?

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Should i have started today with a joke?

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Okay, we'll just let them do it, lets just let them make us a little poorer.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Slipdig1

I'm an old fart who has seen another side of 'used' music. In 1973 Elton John released Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. A fan would buy the new full price vinyl LP double set album for home play. Loves the album, next week buys GYBR on 8 Track tape for playing in the Gran Torino. Two weeks later same fan buys GYBR album for girlfriends brother, it's his birthday.

A real EJ fan is going to buy that album at least twice more on vinyl, as the media is somewhat fragile. Albums wear, develop skips cracks and pops, especially after parties.

Same fan replaces worn out Gran Torino automobile with their first new car. Goodbye 8 Track, hello Cassette Tape. Buys yet another recording of GYBR.

Somewhere along the way other technologies come and go as well.

Today we have Compact Disc. Again, GYBR, maybe $32.00 ? Now look at the Resale: most albums are not money making sought-after collectables. sure a hardcore Vinyl collector may want a near mint original press. but most folks consumed the media. albums wear & get scratched, Tape breaks, CDs get stolen. most music does not make it to the resale market.

Meanwhile, look at how many times an Elton John fan might have bought Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. Since 1973, vinyl, 8 track, cassette, CD. Millions of dollars churned worldwide by this best seller. And they still charge top dollar to purchase. they screw the consumer.

So in comparison you do have a permanence of sorts from your digital download as long as you have it properly stored. What the future has in store for us with technology, we'll see, but it looks like your sole purchase will be adequate. You shouldn't have to replace your digital download at additional expense. Compared to GYBR, there is your savings.

Also - comic books collectors are not going to cease seeking their fix because of current media availability. there is too much fun to be had, whether it is the hunt, the acquisition or pride in ownership. Mail order, online vendor, at comic shops, shows, etcetera. No CRT monitor, laptop screen or download book device offers the wonderful feel of a comic book. the sound of crinkling pages and the strange appeal to the nose that comic collectors and book hounds love is all part of the appeal.

The resale market of comic books ebbs and tides as does any commodity or stock. Collecting interest (for example) is stimulated when people learn a title has been selected for production in Hollywood. back issues that sat dormant will enjoy new attention and sales will be made. In the used music market there are fewer sales boosting spikes. Used music is a tough business; too small demand in a very large market.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Well the question of legality concerning second hand music being sold up until now has been answered?

Large fries, I get it but all of those medium, were worth something and just because you didn't buy a copy and keep it in good nick, doesn't mean othersw didn't.

Like I said at least you had that option, we are moving towards, buying things that are worth anything.

top topics

join