It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama in 2002: Toppling Brutal Dictator a ‘Dumb War’

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
cnsnews.com...

President Barack Obama, as an Illinois state senator in 2002, said that using military force to topple a murderous dictator amounted to a “dumb war” and should be opposed.

"... After September 11th, after witnessing the carnage and destruction, the dust and the tears, I supported this administration's pledge to hunt down and root out those who would slaughter innocents in the name of intolerance, and I would willingly take up arms myself to prevent such tragedy from happening again," said Obama. "I don't oppose all wars. ... What I am opposed to is a dumb war. What I am opposed to is a rash war. What I am opposed to is the cynical attempt by Richard Perle and Paul Wolfowitz and other armchair, weekend warriors in this administration to shove their own ideological agendas down our throats, irrespective of the costs in lives lost and in hardships borne."

Gadhafi, apparently unlike Saddam, needed to be stopped because he would kill his own people to maintain his own power, an act that this time posed a threat to America’s “interests and values,” Obama said.

Wait, what? Did I miss something. Didn't Saddam kill untold thousands of his own people who opposed him?

“To brush aside America’s responsibility as a leader and, more profoundly, our responsibilities to our fellow human beings under such circumstances would have been a betrayal of who we are,” he said. “Some nations may be able to turn a blind eye to atrocities in other countries. The United States of America is different.”

Dance puppet, DANCE!!

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
You missed nothing except the memo stating that owebowma is a sock puppet and a tool of the corporatist ruling class. When you remember that, everything he says and does makes sense.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Wow that's unbelievable. He is doing exactly what he opposed and called dumb at one point. That would make him a stupid hypocrite in my book.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by IamAbeliever

Just another hypocritical comment from Obama. Amazing eh? Don't expect a whole lot of response from his ATS defense corps. They have been ignoring any and all threads linked to our recent efforts in Libya. Plenty of activity to defend Obama in the Trump/birther threads though.

Priorities priorities.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

I don't know how anyone can defend this empty suit we have for a President. He has done absolutely NOTHING for this country. IMO, history will regard him as the weakest American President of all-time.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Just take a look at my avatar and let it sink in!! ALL STRINGS ATTACHED!!! In this case fingers, sorry. He does whatever his cash flow tells him to.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by IamAbeliever
reply to post by jibeho

I don't know how anyone can defend this empty suit we have for a President. He has done absolutely NOTHING for this country. IMO, history will regard him as the weakest American President of all-time.

He does appear online and on television shows about his college basketball final four bracket!! Who doesn't want to see their president doing that??

I would rather hear about our country doing good and the president getting a # job in the oval office!!

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
America is catching on, as Obama's poll numbers keep dropping. Just imagine if the MSM actually reported on this stuff instead of burying it?

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
In this same speech Obama said

President Barack Obama – as an Illinois state senator – said that economic and domestic problems should take precedence over attacking Saddam Hussein, despite his record of humanitarian abuses.

I think we have more economic and domestic problems now than we had back then.

“What I am opposed to is the attempt by political hacks like Karl Rove to distract us from a rise in the uninsured, a rise in the poverty rate, a drop in the median income - to distract us from corporate scandals and a stock market that has just gone through the worst month since the Great Depression” Obama said.

I guess statements like these are only meaningful if a Republican is in office. BTW, how is Obama's relationship with GE and Immelt going nowadays?

Now for more hypocrisy!!!!! Remember Obamas very recent and downplayed speech on March 28.

However, in his March 28 speech justifying attacking the government of Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi, Obama said that domestic problems “cannot be an argument” against military intervention.

How is that for a ball of confusion!!?? Oh what contrast...

Obama argued that attacking Gadhafi was the right thing to do, despite both the country’s and the world’s laundry list of problems.

“On the one hand, some question why America should intervene at all – even in limited ways – in this distant land. They argue that there are many places in the world where innocent civilians face brutal violence at the hands of their government, and America should not be expected to police the world, particularly when we have so many pressing needs here at home.

“It’s true that America cannot use our military wherever repression occurs. And given the costs and risks of intervention, we must always measure our interests against the need for action. But that cannot be an argument for never acting on behalf of what’s right,” he said.

Obama did not mention the current economic problems plaguing the country, which is still trying to recover from the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression.

Obama also did not mention why his current war in Libya was not a distraction from the country’s persistently high unemployment – 8.9 percent in February – when the war in Iraq was an unacceptable distraction from the economic problems of late 2002 – when unemployment was at 5.7 percent.

cnsnews.com...

Funny!!! We are now living in Bizarro World.

Once again I publicly call out Obama's supporters to defend his remarks and actions!!

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
saddam killed thousands of kurds just like turkey has but i dont think he went on murder spree's round central baghdad.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
Where have you been? It's alright we know where you've been.
You've been in the pipeline, filling in time,
provided with toys and Scouting for Boys.
You bought a guitar to punish your ma,
And you didn't like school, and you know you're nobody's fool,
So welcome to the machine.
Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
What did you dream? It's alright we told you what to dream.
You dreamed of a big star, he played a mean guitar,
He always ate in the Steak Bar. He loved to drive in his Jaguar.
So welcome to the machine.

Oh, how so many lyrics apply to the absurdity that saturates us.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by IamAbeliever

obama is the biggest armchair general there is and unlike the rest of the armchair general whose opinion and actions are nothing.

but then obama the armchair general speaks real consquences happen and real people die

meh

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
You missed nothing except the memo stating that owebowma is a sock puppet and a tool of the corporatist ruling class. When you remember that, everything he says and does makes sense.

Hey, as the member of the sub-species superior to you - we don't have anything to do with this buffoon. Not even his own party has much in the line of influence on him. He's free-balling up there.

If corporations did have control over him, they wouldn't be sitting on their capital reserves trying to calculate the risk of investing in expanding product/service lines and capacity. They know he's a loose cannon with the business sense of a chronic gambler on welfare.

Now, can we please deal with competent candidates next election cycle? It's better to have a competent prick in the office than it is a charismatic whack-off.

new topics

top topics

join