It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"serious inflation" ahead... are you ready?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
WalMart CEO Bill Simon, in an interview with USA Today, warned of "serious inflation" by June. Although WalMart may be able to offset the increase in prices by accessing producers from around the world, the feeling in the industry is that many retailers will have to pass the "unprecedented" increases on to the consumer.

Many of us here at ATS have been talking, or better yet warning, of this scenario for some time. Well.... here it is. Many here fear the dreaded "flying spaghetti monster", Nibiru, aliens, or Armageddon... I feel the greater and more realistic threat is inflation... rapid, destructive, chaotic inflation. The kind that will be the final stake in the heart of the American Middle-Class.

I just finished a brief business excursion to some of my neighboring farm supply stores and the rise in prices is evident... I actually saw some of the prices rise as my visits progressed from store to store....distric to distric. I also ate too much fast food....(yup, I feel bloated now)... and also noticed the reduction in size of the regular menu burgers. They were more the size of former dollar menu portions...and the value menu is small... my mother makes bigger bisquits.

My question to all of you...Are you ready? We have been talking about this for months now and it is about to strike with a vengeance. What have you done to prepare? What are you doing to prepare?

I am preparing to buy more pigs for my small self-sufficient farm and as soon as it dries out, will plant feed corn...for the first time. Feed corn for livestock is up to 10 dollars a 50lb bag. Only One year ago, it was 6.29 a bag. Same with everything else. I am picking up stray packing crates and pallets, and using them to finish a new chicken coop...and following that, buy a bunch of brown egg layers. The wife and I have also been on a mass buying binge of canned and dry goods for the pantry and root cellar.

My spring garden is up with lettuces, potatoes, peas, onions, and I have seed beds with tomatoes, cabbages, melons, and anything else that will be set out in a few weeks. And we are looking at selling our car and truck and downsizing to very efficient and practical utility vehicles... ie small toyota pickups. I feel for those in the cities...what are you guys doing to prep?

Inflation is on the way.... Are you ready?

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

This is happening now.

If you look at PPI/CPI and how that affects the real economy the inflation is already there.

Wal*Mart can try to "offset by accessing producers from around the world", but that ignores the fact that raw materials are priced in dollars. They won't be spared either.

I agree with the overall message of buy food, ammo, and get some land to build a garden.

...because it's not just coming it's already here.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I have always wanted a $100,000,000 dollar bill.........too bad I will only be able to buy a jelly bean with that.
2nd line

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
The ones who ignore the current situation and laugh at "survivalists" will be the ones kicking themselves in the but when they realize that it was not such a bad idea to stock up.This IS happening NOW!

Canned goods, dry beans, rice and other dry goods will help when the other groceries run low. These items will surge in price once the slow thinkers freak out and storm the stores. Buy these things now! If nothing happens then you have $100 worth of dry goods, not a big loss considering you have plenty of time to use it up.

To me this is a no brainier. If you have a family, you have a responsibility to make sure they are safe and their belly's are full. Call it crazy, call it overreacting or whatever. Just go out and overreact and be crazy and stock up so you or your family can stay fed when prices go up and hard times come.

Thanks Op, S&F!

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Over-reaction maybe?? Not sure, but I am trying to think back now...............Oh okay I got my thought now, correct me if I am wrong but hasn't inflation been going on for years and years now?? The price of goods and
other items are over doubled in price from 20 years ago?? Oh yes they have, and guess what??? We are not in
a crisis lockdown or people aren't killing each other to get the last bag of rice from the store. I am glad you and
your wife are both insane enough to make up a plan like this. My gosh, if you need to get chickens and build a
coop, how much do you really think eggs will be?????? Melons, onions, lettuce, these are the cheapest things
out there. I am sorry, I don't want everyone to take offense, but this fear-mongering stuff just gets my engine
going!!!
edit on 3/31/2011 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

Edit: Sorry about my paragraph, something is messed up and I can't figure out how to fix it!!

edit on 3/31/2011 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

The really bigger problem is not just inflation but hyper-inflation.

If a person is getting a 1-2% raise (if any) per year and the true rate of inflation (price increases) is going up at 7-10% when gas and food etc. is factored in then people will be losing somewhere along the lines of 5% or more of their paycheck's buying ability per year. How many years of that does it take to show real results.

But if we get into a situation where true inflaton starts rising in large double digits and people still get raises (if at all) in the low single digits then what happens???

Bubba not happy??? What happens when Bubba get really really poor and angry and can't but much of anything including enough food and adequate shelter??? Not to mention his nightly twelve pack of Natty Lite and his big screen T.V.??? Hmmm....

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Sure am!

Got me some shiny coins, and buckets of essentials.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Whats your point? Our financial system is hanging by a thread and prices are going up at a faster rate because of it.Who cares how long its been going on. What better time than now to be aware and prepare? People are finding it harder and harder to make ends meet. Food is a necessity! Whats wrong with people putting back for a rainy day. Its just common sense man. If you try to downplay that, I for one am suspicious of your motives.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Our collectivist corporate cronyist overlords at the criminal money printing operation you call the Federal Reserve have hit the overdrive button on the printing presses.

USA Today reports:

U.S. consumers face “serious” inflation in the months ahead for clothing, food and other products, the head of Wal-Mart’s U.S. operations warned Wednesday.

The world’s largest retailer is working with suppliers to minimize the effect of cost increases and believes its low-cost business model will position it better than its competitors.

Still, inflation is “going to be serious,” Wal-Mart U.S. CEO Bill Simon said during a meeting with USA TODAY’s editorial board. “We’re seeing cost increases starting to come through at a pretty rapid rate.”

CEO Bill Simon from video:

Inflation is an issue, its starting to creep into the business. We saw it start to come in late last year, commodities, certainly cotton. There’s a lot of inflation showing up in dairy. We are starting to see it come into things that are transportation related, like paper. We are keeping an eye on it. It may be something that impacts us later in the year.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   

You know what. Continue life as usual and don't worry about a thing man. Everything is ok and people who prepare for the worst are just crazy. Its all just fear mongering and there is no basis for us to be concerned.

Its a waste of time trying to inform some people. Do what you are doing OP. Live free and be happy.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Digital_Reality

Sorry I am not trying to prove a point per say. I am just tired of hearing all the crap about fear-mongering in people!! 5% increase in inflation or how you call it "super inflation". I don't know about you, but a 5% increase is not going to make me grow my own crops, stay confined in my house, never purchase goods again, nothing like that. I am sorry but 5% of most items is very small. If eggs cost $2.00 a carton now, that means they will be $2.10 with 5% inflation!!! CONCERN ENOUGH FOR FEAR MONGERING???

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Digital_Reality

You know what. Continue life as usual and don't worry about a thing man. Everything is ok and people who prepare for the worst are just crazy. Its all just fear mongering and there is no basis for us to be concerned.

Its a waste of time trying to inform some people. Do what you are doing OP. Live free and be happy.

Dude, go through and read posts I make on this site. I am very aware of the conditions we are living in and coming up on very soon. A FREAKING 5% INFLATION IS NOT ON THE TOP OF MY LIST!!!!

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Digital_Reality

Let me try to expain this better for people. If you usually go to Wal Mart or wherever to shop for groceries, and you normally spend $200 on groceries every 2 weeks. Inflation is $20 a month, that is $240 a year......That is only for families that spend $400 a month on groceries!!! COME ON

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Your right man. Do your thing. Don't belittle someone else for doing their thing. Its really not worth debating with someone like you. You clearly cant see the forest for the trees.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
the rigged CPI index will absolutely reflect low inflation in the rest of the Øbama policy period...

i'm fairly certain that COLAs (cost of living increases) for the elderly & disabled are already nixxed for 2011 and very possibly for 2012 ...when the whole Consumer Price Index of inflation is based on several elective 'want' items instead of the gotta-have 'need' items we all require to survive as independent persons (think food/energy)

as long as QE2 and the shadow bailouts of toxic bonds/mortgage paper that was created in the Trillions is still being vacuumed up by the FED. then the real-world economy will continue to inflate...
in the same but dissimilar way that excessive credit expansion created 'inflated' asset prices prior to the moment that Corporations strongarmed the Treasury for TARP & unlimited bailouts & abandoned the full-employment economic model.

this current (and terminal) 'engineered Inflation' is the business community/financial market refocusing their capital into markets and commodities...instead of consumer debt based on a full-employment model.
The Stock market will continue to grow=inflate beyond reasonable ...because the capital they are blessed with (from the FED policies) makes it necessary, even desirable to let the worker economy atrophe at the sake of inflated values of stocks/equities/commodities/futures and such assets which 'balances' the mega corps books so they can still hold on to greately deflated commercial real-estate.

watch and see, by June when the proposed QE3 is not put into operation...a tremendous inflation
in stock markets and commodities in anticipation of US bonds/notes being treated as toxic garbage down the line.... this tremendous surge in the markets will last but a short time as a De-Flationary Spiral ensues and will cause world central banks to set the price of gold a USD $1440.00 & Silver at 1/15th that price....worldwide, to help stem the deflationary depression soon to gain momentum, also worldwide.

6 months of food/water/ammo/stockpiles may help out some, others will become targets, i just can't see a selfsustaining farm surviving, because its real hard to do chores and guard the place 24/7/365...

best of fortune & luck to all youse members

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Digital_Reality

Your right man. Do your thing. Don't belittle someone else for doing their thing. Its really not worth debating with someone like you. You clearly cant see the forest for the trees.

I am responding to your comment about my beliefs!! You started the debate and now you want to take the child's route out saying "whatever". If you can't back up your words, then don't start a debate in the first place!! We have MUCH MORE pressing issues with this world for me to waste time thinking about this.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

OP do not take offense to my beliefs, please. I did give you a star and flag for the good information, this information is important I just got on a rant. I feel, again my beliefs, I feel that there are more important issues. Though it was put together well and you stated your beliefs on the topic. Good job S&F

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

I'm with you. I don't see a self sustaining farm being the best of options. But with the price of gas, power, food and everything going up its not a bad idea to pick up 3 canned goods instead of 1 and double up on dry goods just in case food prices go up so you have a little extra to make it to the next payday.

I'm not freaking out and hording crates of ammo and food in a bunker but I do see the value of having a few months of food and supplies on hand as cushion. But if my neighbor wants to go dig holes and bury crates of pork and beans and double-ought buckshot more power to him. Whatever makes him sleep better.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   

There is no debate. I feel the price hikes when I shop for my family. I see my cost of living going up. I have made it a point to over shop when I buy groceries just in case I cant afford as much next month because prices are higher .. This is good sound advice for those living check to check. When the weatherman says its going to rain I take an umbrella. When Wal-Mart CEO Bill Simon Says Inflation Will Be 'Serious', Its a good idea to take notice and plan accordingly.

I'm not targeting you because you don't see things the way I do. Its not such a bad thing for people to be informed and plan or prepare if they feel uncomfortable with the current state of affairs. I dont consider that fear mongering. It would be more of a ridiculous thing to ignore everything around you and be completely oblivious to everything.
edit on 31-3-2011 by Digital_Reality because: Spelling

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I am also worried about some of the troubles I see happening with the economy and the US dollar; unfortunately I don't have the resources to buy land and set up a farm. Right now I am putting what little I can into silver and hoping that if the SHTF it's only a mild case of poop-itis....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join