It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All Things Survival: Show 3: Time To Get Packing: (Dandelion)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4ba07808fc03.jpg[/atsimg]

Thursday, March 31, 2011 at 8:00PM EST

illustrial.net

The gathered a panel of hosts, include Military Veterans, Mountain Men and just plain old Hillbillies, with a combined experience in Survival of over 100 years!!!!!

Your Panel

JacKatMtn
Semperfortis
Ahabstar
12m8keall2c
and
Asktheanimals

This weeks show will be about packs. The types of packs such as EDC, BOB, INCH and things to consider putting in them versus the type of things you would place in your typical camping trip were the car and store is fairly close by and ready should you find that you need something.

So TUNE IN THURSDAY @ 8:00PM EASTERN via illustrial.net and give us some listeners while you learn and expand your knowledge along the way. I know that I learned something new on last weeks show and maybe you did too.

Looking forward to seeing you there.

edit on Wed, 06 Apr 2011 12:48:31 -0500 by JacKatMtn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Awesome!

I have been wanting to get on another ATS show, but been busy and pre-occupied. How ever if possible, I have a few packs, and as a teaser will mention my 7K square inch expedition pack, but only if you can squeeze me in.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Show in 35 Minutes

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
We are live now...

tune in via

illustrial

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Was a good show again guys. Thanks for taking the time to do it!

Still frustrated with CHAT! aarrrgghhh

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
One of these days i'll remember it is on, i need to set my alarm for this.

This show isnt replayed at any point is it?

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by kaoticf8

Not at this point, but we are working on getting an area setup to listen to the recorded shows. When we have that setup we will let people know. But for right now it is only available live.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Plant of the Week # 2 - Dandelion (Taraxacum officinale)

As promised here is the first installment of the Plant of the Week
The reason I have numbered this #2 is to avoid confusion as to which show it was discussed on which was Thursday, March 31, 2011.

- Disclaimer: -
While I have gathered the best available information what I present is for entertainment purposes only and I cannot be held liable for any illness or injuries sustained by attempted use of this information or any mistakes made in it's content.

Always remember to: Positively Identify any plants you intend to use, know which parts to use and any special procedures necessary to ensure edibility, Only collect healthy plants without discoloration from areas which are not subject to pollution. Be Conservative: don't deplete an area and leave rare plants in place.

Dandelions, from the French Dent de Lion "tooth of the lion" have long been a favorite edible
green both of early settlers and survivalists. This hardy weed has established itself throughout the lower 48 states and Canada much to the consternation of those who wish to keep green, lush lawns.
Dandelions are difficult to eradicate due to their fast growth cycle and profuse seeds which spread like tiny parachutes on the wind. Plucking will not kill them either as they quickly grow long taproots which invariably break off remaining to come back again. Unfortunately, this hardiness often results in homeowners resorting to the application of herbicides which must be reapplied periodically,contaminating the ground and killing many beneficial insects and plants, dandelion being one of the most beneficial.

Common yard weeds actually help enrich the soil by fixing nitrogen while the deep taproot helps aerate the soil and brings nutrients to the surface.Beneficial insects, especially honeybees love dandelion pollen and nectar, greatly benefiting from it's blooming nearly throughout the year in temperate zones. In Virginia it's rare to go 2 months in the winter without seeing dandelions in bloom. Finally, weeds help to control erosion and prevent delicate topsoil from being carried away by rain and snow melt.

Eaten by many in early spring as a "tonic" plant, dandelion helps to flush the kidneys and gall bladder
by diuretic action, increasing urine flow. Dandelion can be very powerful and may cause frequent urination.

Dandelion as Food:

It is the highest known plant source of Vitamin A, with additional Calcium, Thiamine and Riboflavin.

Young leaves - can be eaten raw, added to salads or boiled as a potherb. The whitish-colored section of the leafstalk where it meets the root is the best portion with the leaves growing more bitter with age. It makes a nice complement to other, blander greens.
Flowers - can be dipped in batter, fried in oil and eaten as fritters, excellent! Flowers are also used
to make wine by fermentation with sugar and yeast.
Taproot - can be dug, washed and scrubbed of any dirt, dried in full sun or low oven then ground into a substitute or additive to coffee.

Nutritional data: 100 gram sample of raw leaves yields: 45 calories, 2.7 grams protein, 9.2 grams carbohydrates, 187mg.calcium, 66 mg.phosphorous, 3.1 mg iron, 14,000 I.U. vitamin A , 35 mg.vitamin C.

Source: Composition of Foods, Agriculture Handbook No.8, USDA, 1963.

That's all for Dandelion, our first Survival Radio Show Plant of the Week.
Thanks for reading!

- Tune In Next Week for: OAKS, PLANT OF THE WEEK #3 -

edit on 4/6/2011 by 12m8keall2c because: fixed embedded images

edit on 6-4-2011 by Asktheanimals because: corrections

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Very nice write up ATA, hopefully in the near future we can start to produce some video tutorials ourselves on the numerous plants that nature has to offer, but until then this guy here has a vast catalog of videos on plants and here is the one he filmed on our plant of the week, the dandelion.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Excellent video. I will have to check out more of his videos - he seems very well informed and thorough. Green Dean, my hat is off to you.
I had forgotten to mention that the latin name Taraxacum officinalis means in Old English roughly "official cure all" as they used it for many different maladies, no doubt many of them produced by poor diets lacking in green vegetables.
I had never tried the plant juice as glue before but I have seen it mentioned often as a folk remedy for warts.
Older leaves can be boiled in a change of water to help eliminate the bitterness however doing so will also cook out many of the nutrients.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

After reading you informative post, I just had to find a patch of dandelions and harvest some blooms for a nice cup of tea.. About 8 of the flowers (snipped the petals from the green), steeped in hot water, and a couple of teaspoons of honey to sweeten.. Turned out very nicely

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Granny's recipe for fried dandelion blossoms.

Freshly picked blossoms, rinsed off and as much of the green bottoms taken off as possible, keep just enough to keep the flower itself intact
1 c. milk
1 egg
1 c. flour
salt & pepper to taste..... thats it.

Mix together for your batter, dip blossoms in and fry. She used bacon grease.... we are after all...southern. LOL
But when I do not have that handy, I use canola oil in my deep fryer.

Fry until golden brown, drain and voila..... good eats.

Never thought of tea, I'll have to write that down and try it out when they start to come up this year.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by MyMindIsMyOwn

Thanks for the recipe, it sounds much like how we batter fry the squash flowers, going to have to give the dandelions a try soon!!

new topics

top topics

join