It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Farmers and Seed Producers Launch Preemptive Strike against Monsanto

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+78 more 
posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Farmers and Seed Producers Launch Preemptive Strike against Monsanto

www.cornucopia.org

Lawsuit Filed To Protect Themselves from Unfair Patent Enforcement on Genetically Modified Seed

Action Would Prohibit Biotechnology Giant from Suing Organic Farmers and Seed Growers If Innocently Contaminated by Roundup Ready Genes
(visit the link for the full news article)

+21 more 
posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
This is a good news piece for those of us who care about organic foods. Monsanto has for far too long been wrecking the small farmer with law suits. This preemptive strike should curtail those efforts if successful. Best of luck to them in their suit because if they do not prevail organic farming might be doomed.

www.cornucopia.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Good for them! Monsanto has single-handedly ruined many farmers for far too long.

Where I live, Seed cleaners use to go from farm to farm cleaning seeds for the next years planting. Monsanto sued them into bankruptcy. They are all just footnotes in American history now.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by wayouttheredude

You might say they'll be getting some of the "legal stuff" they've been dishing out for far too long and it's about time.

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
As a small farmer, I'm ecstatic. I can't believe I didn't hear this news already. Thank you so much for posting, we'll definitely be tracking this story.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
it;s about freakin time

best wishes to the farmers

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Hi, can someone please tell me why Monsanto is allowed a duopoly in agriculture that has a market share that is a driving force which is taking out small business owners when Super Market chains are restricted to a small percentage within America?

Correct me if I am wrong!
edit on 30-3-2011 by Sounds_of_Silence because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I wish the farmers the best of luck. I hope they are able to triumph against the evil that is Monsanto.

+6 more 
posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   

It seems totally strange that your legal system works this way, to me Monsato is criminally liable for the damage done from spreading seeds that infest other farmers, and these folks are getting sued!!

In New Zealand we are fighting this also the latest madness is GE pine trees in "test" plantings, the seed from pine can travel 60 kilometres and more but Scion (as bad as they sound) are saying there is no risk or contamination. they have applied for secret locations. We pulled out the last lot when rabbits had broken into their containment and the trees had outgrown their size restrictions. - Their controls are a joke.

Local council is demanding clarification on whose liability it is to clean up any contamination - which is right for them to ask. I've written them to say that the costs to erradicate a GM release would bankrupt the biggest og multi nationals. (ie Monsato) So just don't let it happen.

Kindly ask Monsato to pay for crop losses and cleanup absolutely for organic farms (and everyone else). Organic farms lose their certification if they have GE crops. Make Monsato pay for it all.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Thank you very much for posting this. The best news I've heard for a very long time. I wish them all the luck. Wish we could help somehow...

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Sounds_of_Silence

Because they are in bed with the USDA, The FDA.

And when the Monsanto Minions graduate, guess where they go?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a3581a467677.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Most excellent, let's hope in the suit there are provisions for monstersanto seeds infecting the organic farms as well.
I did not read the filing but all i need to know is the lil guy is finally on the offensive.
Good luck and best wishes to the backbone of the world, "The Farmers".

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   

YEAH!

...It's not like organic farmers want their seed stocks contaminated by Monsanto's Frankenfoods. But they have to pay for the assault! Totally whacked.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Monsanto has had their hands in so many bad deals for the Earth it is not even slightly humorous. They have made a profit from the misery of others for far too long I think. I hope these farmers the best as I stated but I am enough of a realist to know that they face regulators in the US that are former Monsanto executives. When the chips are down you know how these former Monsanto execs are going to play.

Michael Taylor 01

Michael Taylor 02

This guy is not on my Christmas list.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
It is some good news for the farmers and people getting together to take on Monsanto. Hope they bankrupt and destroy this highly damaging and immoral corporation, for the sake of the world.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Thank goodness, I know that an organic farmer in Australia is being sued by Monsanto at the moment. Monsanto are here in NZ, they have headquarters in auckland. I wonder how long it will be before a farmer is sued here.

Man, they make me spit!!!!

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I think it is fantastic that this is finally being done. We need to protect our natural/organic seeds, GM seeds are nasty, and we often can't use the seeds from the food to grow new plants/food. This just makes our future bleak and helps them to control the farm industry. The more farmers that feel safe to use natural/organic seeds, the more of it we will have! And the better for our future, and our children's future. And..... cheaper organic food! (Which all of us would like!) For sure will I be watching this, good to see people standing up!

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Call me an old cynic, but with the clout Monsanto has, both financially and politically, I don't ecpect much to come of this. It would be nice, but I don't think any celebrations are in order right now.

If not outright overruled by the courts, expect it to be tied up in legal wrangling for a loooong time, whilst Monsanto continues it's criminal practices.

Money talks, and when so many of those in power are feeding at the trough, doing what is ethical, moral or just plain right just doesn't cut it.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

Horribly, sadly, sickeningly, harrowingly I find I entirely agree with you.

Bad publicity is about the only thing that might have a tiny effect right now, but for that to happen we would need an honest media...

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
In America, the "land of the free", you can get sued for something as little as seeds contaminating your crops? Just another example of some slimy white collars trying to make a quick buck exploiting people off of loopholes.

edit on 31-3-2011 by TupacShakur because: Misread the Article

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join