It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Increase in one-line posts

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
That is an example of what isn't accepted. A 1 line post that contributes is not a problem.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
The problem is that some do not understand what is meant by a 1 line post. If it contributes to the topic it's fine. I agree that succinctness can often be better than a rambling post. Something inane though is a distraction from the topic.

Easy:

1 line, adds to the topic = OK.

1 line, adds nothing = not OK.

I hope that clears this up.

PS: Yeah it also bothers me that some add "2nd line." Waste of the members time typing it and my time reading it.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Less to read.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Sometimes a one line post is all that's required and very valid to the thread. I say these should be ignored by the mods and taken for what they are.

Example:

Your youtube link doesn't work please fix it.

or

Your source link is wrong please fix it.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by NthOther
Single-line posts are sometimes more significant and, dare I say, profound than some which ramble on and on but make no concise point. I'd rather read ten words that express an idea efficiently than a hundred that say nothing at all.

Right you are,,
I came on here to see who the nark was.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
OP, i think this turned into a pretty good thread. we all have a good definition of the topic, plus it was fun. A+ !

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Immortalgemini527

Originally posted by The Sword
I've noticed a disturbing increase in the amount of one-line posts. The majority of them are nonsensical replies that make up the "garbage" that clutters this site when one is trying to find intelligent replies within intelligent discussions. It seems like the majority of the posts come from new users that signed up within the past 6 months.

Do the mods need some help here or something? It's impossible to report every instance. Perhaps the rules need revision?

It's getting to be a pain in the arse.

getting to be a pain in the arse.

I have to agree with you,it is a pian to keep reading a bunch of people complaining on the ats as if the world revolves around them,it makes me sick.i mean,who really cares to come on here and see some one complaining about nothing,every day ,every week,every hour,every second......every other thread...GUH!!!

Instaed of making a thread with your lil tiny whining complaint ,why dont you send a pm or something to the mods,instaed of irratating threads like this .Do you really think every reply deserves a whole paragraph.
i think the mods do a good job,why dont you let the founders of this site decide on whats going to happen.

getting to be a pain in the arse.

Every other post you do is dealing with complaints,get real.

Spell Check

Lack of common sense/logic in posts

This is above top secret,not a complaint center,JESUS CHRIST.
I honestly think by looking at your threads,that the ats has nothing to do with this,or the one line posters ,i think the real problem is in the mirror.

Spell Check

Lack of common sense/logic in posts

I agree with you, Immortal. And I would like to add here, so I don't leave just one line posted, that there is a time for one liners and a time for many lines of meaningful in depth content. If it's a thread filled with one liners and or with digressive content that serves more to distract away from the open rather than expand the conversation of it, I can see the need for deletions and warnings. However the occasional one liner, many time a post in the spirit of keeping things fun and entertaining, I personally see nothing wrong with such posting.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
On the plus side, one line posts can have a high information to character ratio.
edit on 31/3/2011 by cortex because: changed "often" to "can"

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by cortex

Very true. Be it the idea where people are expected to create a paragraph for what can be said in a simple sentence, or expected to create multiple paragraphs for what can be said within a short five sentence or so paragraph... or just a short meaningful speech that takes people into deep thought and reflection, it is a fallacy to think more words mean more. The truth is rather "less is more." For example, "Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal." I think we all know how the rest goes.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by cortex

PS Love your meaningful one liner being used as an example in practice.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

I feel great thanks for asking! How do you feel?

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Only increase i see is new members - goverment disinfo agents
second line

edit on 1-4-2011 by xavi1000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I just found a single line post that definitely said all it needed to say as a valid contribution to the thread it was posted in.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Check the post above for confirmation.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
What do you prefer?
Quality or Quantity?

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
No way!

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by dethduck
Honestly, I think that brevity in responses is a direct result of the social evolution of the web. Before the advent and popularity of say, Twitter or even text messaging which is far outpacing even making a simple phone call, I would not be surprised to find that single line posts were far fewer. Hell, I even find myself and my friends/family on facebook increasingly reducing postings to one or two lines.

Fourth line.
edit on 3/31/2011 by dethduck because: Edited for Brevity ;P

Completely agree. Even I've been somewhat troubled by my own postings on forums of late. In the past 5 years or so my attention span has become shocking & posts mostly reduced to soundbites. Sometimes this is because my view has probably already been covered & I'm just picking up on something else that's taken my eye or maybe I should have worn my tinfoil hat more.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Reiteration:

1. A single sentence that contributes to the OP is NOT a 'one-liner' violation.

2. A single sentence that does not contribute IS a 'one-liner' violation; To type "I agree!!!!" or "No kidding!!!" does not appreciably contribute -- it's just a meaningless attaboy/girl.

3. Adding "Second" or "2nd" does not negate a noncontributing one-liner. As I've said before, if you feel the need to add either of the above, you might reconsider your post and/or make it more of a contribution to the OP.

4. Think of a one-liner as a subset of the group "off-topic".... that is, a one-liner doesn't appreciably contribute, and in addition to being off-topic, it is a single noncontributing line.

5. If a one-liner contains words or phrases that are in violation of the T&C and other guidelines, it can possibly result in a "manners", "X-post", off-topic" or other action.

On a personal note, I often wonder to myself why people feel motivated to post one-liners. If you feel moved to agree with a post or thread, chances are that you have more of merit to say about it. Also please note that all of the above applies to ATS, and not within the less stringent realms of BTS. Within BTS (which is subheaded as off-topic), one-liners are not often actioned.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join