It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reality Theory! Reflection of past and present.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Have you ever just sat and thought about a mirror and compared it to memory and time. We think we are sitting here making choices, but we could easily be sitting here having our choices made for us in reflection between future and past. In this case we would be like fish who were not swimming, but swum. We would be like birds who were not flying, but flown. We would never know who was really doing the choosing.

Imagine that future and past are in reflections within our minds, reversed from each other. Our past memories could change with each new future thought, creating the illusion that the past is fixed after it happens. In reality, it just continually matches the future in reflection as the future changes before our perception. All of reality could just be one big story being told to us with the illusion of ongoing reflection on two sides of 'now'. We assume the past has happened and is fixed in our mind as a constant, unchanging memory. What if the past changes, apart from us being aware, into an ever mailable reflection of the changing future. A reflection in reverse. In other words, 'now' is all that is really happening and there is no time at all. Possibly a really clever movie screen that gives the illusion of movement, time and fixed reality. We only get the lessons we learn and the future is dependent on our choices to create a better past. That would make the past a sculpture we are molding by creating the future according to our own unique needs. This would explain why we vaguely remember the past, as it is a reflection that moves farther away as it passes. Future, then, is only seen as it happens. If we could reverse our perception, the past would be seen after it happens and memory would be the future before it comes by. Remembering the future would be amazing. Maybe the future is the past and we are looking at it in reverse already.

But what happens after the movie has ended?

Hummmmmmm.

edit on 30-3-2011 by SuperiorEd because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperiorEd

I thought you were going to say something like, "we can see things that may be remnants of a past, because the energy is maintained there.."

but all I can leave you with now is;

Life Isn't a movie.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Be Here Now is a 1971 book on spirituality, yoga and meditation by the Western born yogi and spiritual teacher Ram Dass. The title comes from a statement his guide, Bhagavan Das, made during Ram Dass' journeys in India. (wikipedia).
Check out, if you haven't already the concept. Everyone has thoughts, that is now, or was, or maybe was, or wasn't because it isn't anymore. Heavy. Being in the now is a practice, a concept, a personel type discapline that once realized can make one feel a type of reality and helps to strip away the ego and wants of some peoples materialistic needs. It's all about being a good person to others and esp. Yourself. SELF. Realization.
Spike

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I'll need to check that out. I'm always looking for a new book.

Originally posted by spikester

Be Here Now is a 1971 book on spirituality, yoga and meditation by the Western born yogi and spiritual teacher Ram Dass. The title comes from a statement his guide, Bhagavan Das, made during Ram Dass' journeys in India. (wikipedia).
Check out, if you haven't already the concept. Everyone has thoughts, that is now, or was, or maybe was, or wasn't because it isn't anymore. Heavy. Being in the now is a practice, a concept, a personel type discapline that once realized can make one feel a type of reality and helps to strip away the ego and wants of some peoples materialistic needs. It's all about being a good person to others and esp. Yourself. SELF. Realization.
Spike

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   

George Harrison Be Here Now Lyrics:
Remember, Now, Be Here Now
As it's not like it was before.
The past, was, Be Here Now
As it's not like it was before ... it was

Why try to live a life,
that isn't real ... no how
A mind, that wants to
wander, 'round a corner,
is an un-wise mind

Now, Is, Be Here Now
and it's not what it was before,
Remember, Now, Be Here Now
as it's not like it was before ... it was

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

edit on 30-3-2011 by spikester because: ad

edit on 30-3-2011 by spikester because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-3-2011 by spikester because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Interesting post. Reminds me of a chapter from the book Fractal Time by Gragg Braden. He states that physicist understand time as being a line that could theoretically be transversed backwards and forewards. With our current understanding of mathematics, there is no equation that locks us into a foreward motion of only present and future.

S & F for a thought provoking and free thinking post.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
The OP reminds me of movies that are compiled in non-chronological order, like Pulp Fiction. Seeing that the first time kind of ties in with the future being the past and vice versa. Are Directors of this thing we call Life recreating the past by intertwining future and present scenes together? Perhaps. But who are the Directors? Ourselves?

edit on 31/3/2011 by Dark Ghost because: reworded

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   

That is true, so how do you change how you are so that the reflection of past/future can be different? Change the emotion. When you are happy, most likely you'll pull up more memories of good times. If you as sad, you have access to other stuff that made you sad. Be happy, and watch the reflection change!

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme

That is true, so how do you change how you are so that the reflection of past/future can be different? Change the emotion. When you are happy, most likely you'll pull up more memories of good times. If you as sad, you have access to other stuff that made you sad. Be happy, and watch the reflection change!

Here's a post from my blog that answers this question.

Reflecting the Past Forward

If I think about time, I realize the future gets shorter as the past grows. I only have so much future remaining before the wick of my life flickers out completely, leaving me as a distant temporal memory in the minds of other passing moments to come. My soul seems to live every moment in the now of each created slice of reality. Nevertheless, the mind lives anywhere but the moment at hand. In a sense, the future is only one additional moment from becoming the next layer of my ever-growing past. I suppose, when I get right back to basic facts, the only reality that can teach me anything about living the next few moments with skill are the experiences left behind by others; and by others, I mean all of us from this moment back to the first.

How far can a person really look forward? Is it just easier looking back to examine the moments ahead with clarity? If I can learn anything concerning choices in the future, I choose to reflect my past forward to the future and watch it pass me by again. I repeat this process until the past is finally pleasing as it passes my way each moment. For now, I keep pushing ahead to a better past by drawing it forward to my future as lessons learned. At some point, the potential of the future will match the lessons learned from the past, at which point, the past and the future will fade into the present equally. This is my goal. Until my goal is fully reached, I ponder the past thoughts of others with new clarity.

For instance, what if material reality—the totality of real things—only exists at the moment of observation? After the moment of observation, material reality moves forward to the future, existing only in the past according to the memory of the observer. In essence, material reality may be seen as created anew at each moment, in different states of transition, and from an infinite set of possibilities at my disposal. Since all substance is in constant motion and never in the same state twice, observations made by me—the animated observer—cease to exist once the moment of temporal reality moves into the past. My fixed point of view, then, can only see one slice of the constant creation of new moments at any given instant of time. In effect, my choices assist in the creation of my future past as it passes by my perspective.

Has the Earth ever existed in the same form or location in space twice? If you realize the correct answer, then you realize that ALL scientific observation has been made from this dynamic and ever-changing frame of reference. It is not possible to observe substance twice, as all substance is in a constant state of flowing movement to a future changed state. Discoveries are merely wishful thinking applied on the faith of a dream we can only vaguely remember.

Just as two-dimensional creatures would only sense one slice of a theoretical flat world, so three-dimensional observers can only see a slice of the observed fourth dimension of time from one single location. Evidence for the next occurrence of time is therefore only theoretically probable and not entirely provable as an expected reality from one point of view. Since the observer possesses a vastly substandard view of reality, the observer is inferior to what is being observed in any fixed location of infinite time and space. Logic dictates that observable reality is either a creation of a superior mind outside the inferior observer, or a superior creation of an oblivious observer. And yes, God exists, even if you are an oblivious observer!

The question now becomes obvious: If we can push the past forward to the future to create a new outcome for the past, what is the point of this ability we possess? I believe it can be found in this simple Hebrew parable:

Two twin brothers are in a womb, basking in the warm and nourishing environment of their caretaker. Life is progressing, but a sinking feeling comes over the twins as they realize that they are both dropping down somewhere new. They each start to wonder what the future holds. One twin senses that a new reality, better than the first, is about to be given as a gift. The other twin—the skeptic—refuses to believe in anything past the womb and tries to convince his brother that he is delusional.

The first twin says, “After we leave this world, a new reality will emerge; a reality that we never could have imagined; a reality more glorious than any we have known. We will have improved vision and there will be an infinite variety of new objects to delight the eyes. We will each stand on our two legs and be able to walk here and there with ease.”

The skeptical brother doubted this view. He says, “You are not making any sense. This is foolishness. What you see here is all there is. Get over it. We have no proof of this foolish belief. We will live here and die. That’s all; nothing more.”

Suddenly, and without warning, the fluid surrounding the two twins begins to rush away. The womb violently moves about in an unfamiliar way. The first brother disappears from sight as he vanishes into a blinding light. As he ponders the fate of his beloved bother, all he can hear is crying and wailing from outside the womb.

He says to himself, “As I predicted; a horrible death filled with pain.”

edit on 31-3-2011 by SuperiorEd because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnknownPhilosopher
Interesting post. Reminds me of a chapter from the book Fractal Time by Gragg Braden. He states that physicist understand time as being a line that could theoretically be transversed backwards and forewards. With our current understanding of mathematics, there is no equation that locks us into a foreward motion of only present and future.

Only the fringes within the Quantum Theorist camp of physicists suggest such a thing. Real physicists don't enganger their professional credibility with such talk. The reason is the concept known as ramification and the impact it has on what exists as a moment that has just emerged on the heels of a prior moment. Causation is another term that comes to mind, but the term ramification is much more specific when addressing the reason why time can only move forward in a well-defined linear manner. In fact, it does this at such a level of dependability that the science of physics is based on the fact that time moves forward and that the ramifications of that fact can be quantified and leveraged.

You need to do some reading on other websites than this one. Or maybe go take a book out from the library.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by NorEaster

Only the fringes within the Quantum Theorist camp of physicists suggest such a thing. Real physicists don't enganger their professional credibility with such talk. The reason is the concept known as ramification and the impact it has on what exists as a moment that has just emerged on the heels of a prior moment. Causation is another term that comes to mind, but the term ramification is much more specific when addressing the reason why time can only move forward in a well-defined linear manner. In fact, it does this at such a level of dependability that the science of physics is based on the fact that time moves forward and that the ramifications of that fact can be quantified and leveraged.

You need to do some reading on other websites than this one. Or maybe go take a book out from the library.

Thats very nice of you to completely belittle me personally without knowing one single part about me or who I am. Thats very presumptous and immature of you. By the way, when did our current understanding of "science" corner the truth? Most original theories are labeled fringe when first postulated.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
That's right. The new agers looked pretty wacky until science found out that the observer changes the quantum dynamics of what is observed. When we understand that the quantum world does not behave in relation to our view of the macrocosm, we begin to understand that consciousness is the prime motivator of all matter. What we think we know of the world up here is only manifested from the world below by our consciousness. This was a previously wacky statement until our understanding of the quantum dynamics of matter was somewhat clarified. Miracles don't sound so far fetched now at all.

Matthew 17:20

He replied, "Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you."

Originally posted by NorEaster

Thats very nice of you to completely belittle me personally without knowing one single part about me or who I am. Thats very presumptous and immature of you. By the way, when did our current understanding of "science" corner the truth? Most original theories are labeled fringe when first postulated.

edit on 2-4-2011 by SuperiorEd because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-4-2011 by SuperiorEd because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I refer the honourable gentleman to Deja Vu........The ability to simultaneously experience a future event as a present event even though future hasnt unfolded.Many examples i have had once i was swimming and had deja vu i knew i would bump into somebody i knew so pulled to side of pool to avoid but every action i did to counteract the inevitabilty of fulfilling what was to come was futile .My only feeble explanation is that certain times we become momentarily enlightened and see our predestined path time in all its oneness not in a linear sense.Anyway the closest i could possibly relate this time consiousness too is the John Ellis Mctaggerts 'Unreality of Time' For me all time philosophers that followed Mctaggert pail.www.youtube.com...
edit on 2-4-2011 by cuchullainuk777 because: to reinforce my comment

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Interesting theory. More so when consider the fact that our brains cannot process an event until after it occurs. In truth we are all simply watching life occur, with minimal control (if that) over the events thereof. Its been said that people near death often see their life "flashing before their eyes". And in a sense that very thing is happening to all of us. Every day our lives are flashing before our eyes.... Only its happening in real time.

new topics

top topics

join