It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Delaware D.O.T with nothing better to do

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I just came across this video of department of transportation in Delaware removing basketball hoops from the fronts of people houses or close to the curb. The DOT rep. Lies on camera to the homeowner telling him they will leave the pole and backboard in his driveway but it had to be taken down. They threaten arrest get the bulldozer rip down the pole. Then despite her saying they would leave it they toss it right in the back of a dump truck with the others. They removed several from the same area because of a neighbors complaint.

www.youtube.com...

This is my first time posting a video so please bare with me. I know that this is not an important issue or giant conspiracy I am just posting this because I found it utterly ridiculous. I feel that our government is really involving itselfs in very trivial matters. Considering everything else that is ailing the country.

Anyone feel the same?
edit on 30-3-2011 by navione because: Traffic to transportation

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
This is a joke, I've never felt so disgusted in these government grunts in my life. Why would anyone decide to get rid of basketball hoops? Whats next, garage doors or shutter blinds?

Who takes their job that seriously, someone should fire that woman.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by CordDragonzord

This was on my area local radio station today 96.9 wttk and to hear it on there was ridiculous but to see the arrogance of the lying SOB's I hope to god the state does something..what power hungry pieces of garbage..
edit on 30-3-2011 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-3-2011 by chrismarco because: spelled ridiculous wrong

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
And you thought this was a free country. Not any more.I would be interested to know the justification for stealing basketball hoops and poles from peoples yards and why the state storm troopers are involved? Why was there no written notification to the home owner?Nice find dude S&F
edit on 3/30/2011 by lonegurkha because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by CordDragonzord

Glad I thought it was just me I really just couldn't believe it.

Nothing better to do with tax payers money to other tax payers.

I am in NYC and I have seen such an increase in nypd ticketing for the silliest offenses.
It's been going on a few years jay walking,loitering after dusk in parks, they actually arrested someone for taking an air conditioning unit that was in the garbage. Charged him with theft of department of sanitation property because in the city when you toss out a fridge or a/c you have to call first to arrange a pick up. After arranging a pick up it becomes there property to recycle or do what they do with it.

At first I thought the city is broke extra revenue from us serfs but it's starting to seem like the tightening of the screws. What next ticketing people for hygiene standards...

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by navione

You get a week in jail for not having a light on you're bike at night when you ride, everyone is selling their souls to become bureaucrats.

I can hardly see these people having souls anymore.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by navione

here is your video..

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I hope enough people complain that this stupid lying b*tch in this video and the cop that is with her lose their dam jobs. This is America and these Nazis need to be evicted from this once great land. Im so sick of these corrupt bastards.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by navione

That is ridiculous! This is going on in a country where an organic substance like cannabis is illegal and widely banned from alleviating diseases. Even the mental disorders that come along with being a citizen of this heavily taxed nation.

I can't even fathom why having a basketball goal on your property by the paved street is an issue.
??? Even if they were facing the driveway, I bet they still took them down (given that they were closer than 7 feet to the road) What is this country coming to?

edit on 30-3-2011 by sixneuproele because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Delaware Code Title 17
Chapter 5, Section 525
§ 525. Maintenance of clear zones within rights-of-way.
(a) The Department is authorized to maintain clear zones
within the rights-of-way under its jurisdiction in the
unincorporated areas of the State. In maintaining these clear
zones, the Department shall have the immediate authority to
remove artificial obstructions placed therein, including, but not
limited to, nonofficial signs, poles, mailboxes not placed in
conformance with Departmental regulation, or other hazards to
safe passage. In removing artificial obstructions, the
Department shall attempt to determine the owner of the
obstruction and provide written notice and an opportunity for
the owner to recover the obstruction after its removal. The
Department shall also have the immediate authority to remove
or trim vegetation growing within these rights-of-way.
(b) As used in this chapter, the term "clear zone" has the
following meanings:
(1) For all roads except those described in paragraph (2)
of this subsection, the term includes the total roadside border
area within a right-of-way, starting at the edge of the pavement
and continuing for a distance of 10 feet perpendicular to the
pavement edge.
(2) For all interior streets within residential subdivisions,
the term includes the total roadside border area within a rightof-
way, starting at the edge of the pavement and continuing for
the shorter distance of either:
a. Seven feet perpendicular to the pavement edge,
or
b. If there is a sidewalk adjacent to the street, the
sidewalk edge further from the street.

(3) The total area within the median strips between
traveled ways or on any channelization islands, except as
permitted by § 1108(d) of this title. (71 Del. Laws, c. 318, § 7.)

It's the rule folks.... Yes, a stupid one, but one nonetheless.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
It does seem an incredible waste of resources in an era when resources are so scarce. Gotta say, I too understood that DOT woman to be saying they would leave the pole if requested. Either she is a bald-faced liar or one of the worst communicators I've ever seen. Strike that, it would be AND because she is definitely lously at communication, the only thing in question is whether or not she lied.

My dad always said that there should be a new law passed that would required legislators remove 2 useless/obsolete laws every time they write a new one. This is one of those that makes me know he was right.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I agree based on the ordinance that the hoop should be taken down HOWEVER notice should have been given to the homeowners that they have x amount of days to become compliant of the ordinance or it will be torn down. I do believe that the neighborhood dispute will most likely erupt into something crazy or out of the twilight zone where that lady that complained is ousted somehow.

I think the lady that was dressed in the sweats and glasses needs to take a major look at herself and measure her ethical and moral worth. You can clearly hear her say the owner can keep that pole and hoop. Then 2 minutes later say she didn't. It would be very nice if someone ran an excavator through her house and claimed it was too close to the street (but she can get it back)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

A good reason to not buy a home in that area.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Well, 'bout the only thing I can say is, I'd and the surrounding neighbors would make life misserable (nothing illegal) but I'd make it so uncomfortable for the idiot neighbor who lodged the complaint. Pure stupidity. I'm really ticked at the part where the stupid "B" said right on tape that they could keep the pole and still took it away.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by HellstormRising

The guy in the video said that he had been served notice. He and his state rep responded, but recieved no response to their response. He knew it had to come down and he didn't take time to move it.

I think that it is all a bunch of bull. The goal had been there for years. A new neighbor complained and the state followed the law. Unfortunately the lady didn't use her discretion. The goal was clearly not a hinderance to the the right of way. It had been there longer than the complaintant and was never a problem previously. That piece of paper should have just slipped in to the circle file by accident.

This is idiocy and I hope that shrew in the sweats gets her job yanked.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
This is incredible that, with municipalities being forced to lay off workers and cut back on services, these jerkwads could come up with the money to pull this stunt.

But then again, they are performing the most important function of any government employee; letting everybody know who's in charge.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeNice81

oh no doubt I totally agree with what you're saying how it's ridiculous and she should lose her job. I missed the part where he said he was served a notice and I understand the thought process that it's been there for a long time etc. The only problem I see with this then is that the law needs to be repealed because it needs to be applied fairly. With that being said it IS a crap law. He should have taken it down regardless and continued to fight the law to get it repealed instead of taking the defiant method. If it doesn't work through the legal process then by all means he should put it back up in the form of a hand with the hoop and pole being the middle finger.

I'm probably not articulating this correctly but I agree with the guy that it is crap his pole got confiscated etc and that harlot who is a liar and a shill should lose her job and her face/name should be posted over the entire city. I hope her name is marred to the point where she cannot find jobs any longer. I can't begin to tell you how much I disdain liars and hypocrites.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by HellstormRising

In matters like this there is usually room for discretion on the part of the agent. Unless there is a general order or SOP that states she must do this in every case, she is understood to have a bit of discretion. If the goal was there before the complaintant or the ordance she could, and should have just turned her back.

Believe it or not cops and "enforcement" officials are given the ability to unevenly enforce matters like these. The reason is that there are some people that doing things that only a law like this can stop. A person piling old car parts near the road, or not trimming trees that can cause a hazard to power lines or traffic would fall under necessary use of the law. A person with a basketball goal that has been up for a generation or more does not. If they have kept the area maintained, and it is not a public hazard, you can and usually do look the other way.

Laws are generally supposed to be used to prevent abuses that endanger others or the violator. If there is no danger or damage many times it is allowable to let things slide to some extent. That is in the absence of a general order, SOP, or law that states otherwise.

top topics

join