It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The most Amazing photo of Saturn by NASA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
This marvelous panoramic view was created by combining a total of 165 images taken by the Cassini wide-angle camera over nearly three hours on Sept. 15, 2006. Cassini was approximately 2.2 million kilometers (1.3 million miles) from Saturn when the images in this mosaic were taken. Image scale on Saturn is about 260 kilometers (162 miles) per pixel.

I understand this is an old picture and it's been enhanced but revisiting this image and the amazing Cassini mission is better than a lot of other things going on here. Why is this image so special other than the obvious breathtaking electromagnetic forces imaged and brightness in eclipse? We can see our home Earth interior to the G ring and above the brighter main rings at the left upper side near that faint arc of red, like a rainbow.

Link to JPL's Cassini mission site location of this photo with links to the full resolution image and others featuring earth.

photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov...

Another high resolution image source.

edit on 30-3-2011 by Illustronic because: Added another image source.

edit on 30-3-2011 by Illustronic because: Fixing bad link.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
That is an amazing picture!

Only question I have is how much has it been "enhanced"?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
It overexposed some areas for visual impact, the links will show you and the text will explain.

This image is taken from a distance 9 times further away than our moon.
edit on 30-3-2011 by Illustronic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing, it's a beautiful sight. I would love to open my window around midnight and get this

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I don't think it is over exposed.... im pretty sure it is known as Ring shine.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Absolutely love it. It seems so dream like and hard to imagine up there in space somewhere.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
and yet the moon is still black and white...le sigh....

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
looking at this reminds me that after nearly 40 years on this planet my one and only regret is that im never going to get to see the wonders of our universe up close, and it makes me very sad indeed

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

I can't help but notice what looks like the silhouette of some lady above and below saturn.. like a glare of a different dimension.. maybe I'm the only one, but I see crap that that alot recently.

eta- yeah, almost looks like Mona Lisa
edit on 30-3-2011 by Myendica because: (no reason given)

top topics

join