It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Superstition Information Thread - Mediums, Psychics, Astrology etc.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
SUPERSTITION: What is it?

Superstition[noun]

1. An irrational belief that an object, action, or circumstance not logically related to a course of events influences its outcome.

2. A belief, practice, or rite irrationally maintained by ignorance of the laws of nature or by faith in magic or chance.

3. A fearful or abject state of mind resulting from such ignorance or irrationality..

4. Idolatry

Clearly a close minded definition that is aimed at breaking down long held beliefs by many people, no?
Key words: Irrational, illogical, ignorance.

The definition of superstition applies only to things that fall into the said description.

What exactly falls under the description and why does it belong there? What are the ramifications of believing in something that doesn't hold up to scrutiny? What is the motivation behind perpetuating superstition?

Motivations behind superstitious belief:
Profit - Influence - Complacency - Manipulation - Control

Astrology, Psychics and Other Money Making Schemes

What does your horoscope mean to you?

Italians spend £5 billion a year on fortune tellers and astrology

American Federation of Astrologers.
Avg. Sales: $1-2.5Million (A company that sells memberships and supplies to Astrologers)

James Randi

Project Alpha

Project Alpha - A truly "double blind" study.

In 1979, James S. McDonnell, board chairman of McDonnell-Douglas Aircraft and devotee of the paranormal, gave $500,000 to Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri, for the establishment of the McDonnell Laboratory for Psychical Research.

Randi saw this as an opportunity to disprove the complaint of many parapsychologists that they were unable to do properly controlled experiments because of lack of funding.

Randi believed that funding was the least of their problems. In his view, the main obstacle to parapsychology was its “strong pro-psychic bias.” This bias blinds researchers to numerous flaws in their protocols, almost all of which are related to their naïveté regarding human deception and their inexperience at detecting such deception.

Harry Houdini

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b57d9279852f.jpg[/atsimg]

Houdini's training in magic allowed him to expose frauds who had successfully fooled many scientists and academics. He was a member of a Scientific American committee that offered a cash prize to any medium who could successfully demonstrate supernatural abilities. None were able to do so, and the prize was never collected.

The first to be tested was medium George Valentine of Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania. As his fame as a "ghostbuster" grew, Houdini took to attending séances in disguise, accompanied by a reporter and police officer. Possibly the most famous medium whom he debunked was Mina Crandon, also known as "Margery". [36]

Houdini chronicled his debunking exploits in his book, A Magician Among the Spirits. These activities cost Houdini the friendship of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Doyle, a firm believer in Spiritualism during his later years, refused to believe any of Houdini's exposés. Doyle came to believe that Houdini was a powerful spiritualist medium, and had performed many of his stunts by means of paranormal abilities and was using these abilities to block those of other mediums that he was 'debunking' (see Conan Doyle's The Edge of The Unknown, published in 1931)

Houdini

Houdini Excerpt

Houdini was very close to his mother and when she died, he was devastated. One reason he wanted to expose this kind of deception was because he wanted to prevent people from taking advantage of grieving relatives.

Another reason was because there was big money involved in this kind of deception. In one case, Houdini said that $500,000 "changed hands upon the recognition of the fingerprints of a man who had died two years before."

Source

Because Houdini challenged these kinds of deceptions and proved that they were unreliable, he suggested that people should not believe everything they see.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fd326df9748b.jpg[/atsimg]

Silvia Browne FRAUD

Tugging at the purse strings

Did she forget she was on camera?

In 1992, Browne was convicted of investment fraud and grand theft,[2] and has been involved in numerous controversies regarding her claims and predictions, with reports about her failed predictions and claims appearing in several newspapers.

In a 2010 interview, Linda Rossi, Browne's business manager, told KMOV-TV that Browne's business earns $3 million a year.

Browne

I want to believe?

Forgot to give disclaimer to your clients Mr. Psychic?

Psychics Arrested - They couldn't predict it?

TAPS - GHOST FRAUD

ATS Thread

But why do it?

Don't forget to go to their conventions, buy their books and spend your money on whatever else they are selling.

Note:

Some people will say that not all Psychics are fraud, nor all mediums or Ghost Hunters. That Astrology isn't superstition but instead some major force.

The problem with this is that if there are such powerful forces out there that people are able to perceive, manipulate and control, why is it that the most noted people in these fields are frauds.

Where are the people who develop these abilities and use them without promoting and selling tickets to see it happen?

Pathological science is the process in science in which "people are tricked into false results ... by subjective effects, wishful thinking or threshold interactions".[1][2] The term was first used by Irving Langmuir, Nobel Prize-winning chemist, during a 1953 colloquium at the Knolls Research Laboratory. Langmuir said a pathological science is an area of research that simply will not "go away" —long after it was given up on as 'false' by the majority of scientists in the field. He called pathological science "the science of things that aren't so". [3]

According to the Collins English Dictionary 10th Edition fraud can be defined as: "deceit, trickery, sharp practice, or breach of confidence, perpetrated for profit or to gain some unfair or dishonest advantage".[1] In the broadest sense, a fraud is an intentional deception made for personal gain or to damage another individual; the related adjective is fraudulent. The specific legal definition varies by legal jurisdiction. Fraud is a crime, and also a civil law violation. Defrauding people or entities of money or valuables is a common purpose of fraud, but there have also been fraudulent "discoveries", e.g. in science, to gain prestige rather than immediate monetary gain.

Some related threads on ATS.
Friday the 13th
Evil Trees
James Randi vs. ATS
The Rapture
Psychics
Mediums

Joseph Goebbels (the Minister of Propaganda in Nazi Germany) “A lie repeated a thousand times becomes a truth.”

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Great thread Boncho!

I am a firm believer in astrology, psychics, mediums and different mental abilities like telekinesis and telepathy.

IMO those who have these abilities will NOT be out in the public making books and charging for their abilities that they see as a gift. They usually don't put themselves out there like that.

I believe we have the ability to do many of these things and I believe many of our ancient ancestors knew this as well and also harnessed these abilities but what happened? IMO religion happened and it became "evil" to do anything like this.

Astrology is a subject I defend constantly. There is so much more to astrology than a daily horoscope. I would love to post mine and I have thought about it but I don't know if I want my personal life out here on the internet but my natal chart has been dead on accurate my entire life. It's kind of creepy but there is something to it and I do believe in astrology. I consult my cards and chart for decisions. I did for a while however turn from it because it was so overwhelming and it kind of freaked me out but recently I went back to it and I have to say I am happy I did.

People like Sylvia Browne piss me off! She is a fraud and plays on peoples emotions. I'd like to see her go against real psychics and mediums. Has she been to Cassadaga, FL? Cassadaga has more mediums than anywhere in the world. There is so much behind the city and it's founder and his family history with psychic abilities it's so interesting. I watched a documentary on the city a few years back and I never knew the story behind it until now. It's a small town, not far from me either
but it's got quite a few mediums and every single house has at least two spirits in it. It's near an energy vortex which is another cool thing about the area. It's just awesome!

The TAPS guys well same thing, frauds imo. I don't care for anyone that is openly out there showing off their talent or lack there of. Sylvia Browne and John Edwards pray on people and manipulate what they say to get the answers they get. I watch them and it just irks me. I have a friend who sees a psychic every first Saturday of the month and she has been very accurate with things she has said, so much so my friend has been freaked out a few times.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Great post. While I don't think I will be able to agree with you on Astrology there are some other points we are able to agree on.

As far as Psychics go, personally I had an experience with one in Asia that was surprisingly accurate. Of course, the money charged was a pittance and I am unsure as to the explanation of the accuracy.

It is amazing how accurate people can be when they are vague

That was the major problem with the reading, although something she said did happen, it could have applied to a number of situations. But it did make for a great story to tell.

Telepathy
With developments in Biology, Nanotechnology, Electronics and Quantum Mechanics. There is a good possibility that this will become fact. (One could say it already is)

Just wait until that happens.
Telepathy
More

By implanting an electrode into the brain of a person with locked-in syndrome, scientists have demonstrated how to wirelessly transmit neural signals to a speech synthesizer. The "thought-to-speech" process takes about 50 milliseconds

Closer than we think.

QUESTION:

When everyone has supernatural abilities, what platform will the charlatans use?

edit on 30-3-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I think the success of psychic industries, including astrology, lie in the placebo effect. Most 'psychics' work by telling people generalised information that could apply to anything in their life, and, because the customer wants to believe, they will automatically interpret the reading as pertaining to a particular aspect of themselves, or of an event that has happened, etc.

However, I see no problem with it. If people are happy to whittle away their money on fortune telling and so on, then let them do just that. I think it could actually help people to resolve their problems on their own, by focusing their thoughts on a particular worrisome issue. Astrogology, psychics, etc, essentially are acting as an extra 'helping hand' - similar, for some people, to visiting a counsellor or psychiatrist.

The whole practice reminds me somewhat of homeopathy - 'medicine' that is so diluted as to contain none of the supposed original key active ingredient, and is therefore merely a placebo which some people will resolutely swear by as a panacea to whatever ails them. Never underestimate the power of the human mind to psychologically heal physical and mental afflictions - sometimes, that's all it takes.

So refrain from criticising the industry too much. If someone gets 'ripped off' by a psychic, then it's their own gamble and their own loss, and just remember that for some people, it really seems to help them. Scientifically speaking of course, placebos can only go so far, but if that's all that needed, then why not?

Sometimes I wish I wasn't so cynical and savvy, I'd probably be a lot happier if I could bring myself to believe in psychics and whatnot!

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by DeepThoughtCriminal

You bring up a very valid point, but let's also account for the opposite action within the placebo effect.

The phenomenon is related to the perception and expectation which the patient has; if the substance is viewed as helpful, it can heal, but if it is viewed as harmful, it can cause negative effects, which is known as the nocebo effect.

Nocebo

edit on 30-3-2011 by boncho because: +fix

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Cheers for pointing that out, I was kind of assuming that psychic readings and horoscopes etc would tend towards a positive reading, so in general the nocebo effect would likely be negligible in this field which based on telling people what they want to hear. I guess it depends on how much people start to rely on it.

Do you think that, like something akin to gambling, psychic readings can become an addiction for an unfortunate few? Is it common for people to develop a dependency on these things? The psychology behind this topic has piqued my interest, to say the least.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by DeepThoughtCriminal

Do you think that, like something akin to gambling, psychic readings can become an addiction for an unfortunate few? Is it common for people to develop a dependency on these things? The psychology behind this topic has piqued my interest, to say the least.

That came up quite a bit when I was looking through material for this thread. And there is certainly enough anecdotal evidence to say someone can get 'addicted' or unhealthily obsessed with psychic readings.

Unfortunately, not all readings are positive ones. There are people I know that see certain Psychics that will predict a years worth of good or bad time. What I have seen happen is the person experience it to what is predicted, but I think that is a testament to the power of the mind rather than the Psychic's abilities.

What is strange, is that even with a bad reading, the person in question refused to see another Psychic to confirm. The readings seem heavily ingrained into them and they don't want to hear another opinion.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Fallacy: Biased Sample

Also Known as: Biased Statistics, Loaded Sample, Prejudiced Statistics, Prejudiced Sample, Loaded Statistics, Biased Induction, Biased Generalization

Description of Biased Sample

This fallacy is committed when a person draws a conclusion about a population based on a sample that is biased or prejudiced in some manner. It has the following form:

1. Sample S, which is biased, is taken from population P.
2. Conclusion C is drawn about Population P based on S.

The person committing the fallacy is misusing the following type of reasoning, which is known variously as Inductive Generalization, Generalization, and Statistical Generalization:

1. X% of all observed A's are B''s.
2. Therefore X% of all A's are Bs.

The fallacy is committed when the sample of A's is likely to be biased in some manner. A sample is biased or loaded when the method used to take the sample is likely to result in a sample that does not adequately represent the population from which it is drawn.

People often commit Biased Sample because of bias or prejudice. For example, a person might intentionally or unintentionally seek out people or events that support his bias. As an example, a person who is pushing a particular scientific theory might tend to gather samples that are biased in favor of that theory.

People also commonly commit this fallacy because of laziness or sloppiness. It is very easy to simply take a sample from what happens to be easily available rather than taking the time and effort to generate an adequate sample and draw a justified conclusion.

Fallacy: Hasty Generalization

Also Known as: Fallacy of Insufficient Statistics, Fallacy of Insufficient Sample, Leaping to A Conclusion, Hasty Induction.

Description of Hasty Generalization

This fallacy is committed when a person draws a conclusion about a population based on a sample that is not large enough. It has the following form:

1. Sample S, which is too small, is taken from population P.
2. Conclusion C is drawn about Population P based on S.

Boncho, your membership registration points to about 28 days membership now. Your Posts are at 1,079, which ( unless others are also using your account ) averages to 39 posts a day from you. Quantity over quality?

Whatever you do.......
You better start doing it right......... ~ Genesis - Dance On A Volcano

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Serafine

If you want to present another side to this thread than you are by all means welcome to. Of course, you may want to do more than a quick cut & paste.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Boncho, your membership registration points to about 28 days membership now. Your Posts are at 1,079, which ( unless others are also using your account ) averages to 39 posts a day from you. Quantity over quality?

Whatever you do.......
You better start doing it right......... ~ Genesis - Dance On A Volcano

a cut a paste... for the hope of it sticking.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Serafine

Well, funny thing, ATS has some stats next to your avatar. What it tells us, is as of this post, 25% of your posts get starred compared to 77% of mine. Not that I think that means anything but I have to point it out since you are breaking down numbers.

Also, you have a low WATS index and Karma rating, of course, I wont hold that against you. If you would like to contribute an alternative or opposing view in this thread you are more than welcome too.

This thread is about charlatans and con artists that use superstition to defraud people. Please keep that in mind the next time you reply.

If you don't understand the stats in your avatar box you can read more Here.

ETA: Remember, quality over quantity!
edit on 1-4-2011 by boncho because: +info

top topics

join