It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wow. "The most significant find in Christian archeology since the Dead Sea scrolls"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Religious people, afficionados of archeology and ancient cultures, general gawkers -- this strikes me as AMAZING. It will not be new news to some people, but it is to me. I cannot wait until more on this comes to light.

This is already being discussed in the Breaking Alternative News forum, but I wanted to open up a more free-wheeling, perhaps religion/faith based discussion on it here on the offtopic boards. I believe that's permissible under the T&C, am I right?

Let's look at a few of the salient points:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f4e1cee53407.jpg[/atsimg]

British archaeologists are seeking to authenticate what could be a landmark discovery in the documentation of early Christianity: a trove of 70 lead codices that appear to date from the 1st century CE, which may include key clues to the last days of Jesus' life. As UK Daily Mail reporter Fiona Macrae writes, some researchers are suggesting this could be the most significant find in Christian archeology since the Dead Sea scrolls in 1947.

The codices turned up five years ago in a remote cave in eastern Jordan—a region where early Christian believers may have fled after the destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem in 70 CE. The codices are made up of wirebound individual pages, each roughly the size of a credit card. They contain a number of images and textual allusions to the Messiah, as well as some possible references to the crucifixion and resurrection...

More at source (Yahoo news)

Some Christians on this board might find the following of particular interest (either pro or con):

...Some of the codices were sealed, prompting yet more breathless speculation that they could include the sealed book, shown only to the Messiah, mentioned in the Book of Revelation. One of the few sentences translated thus far from the texts, according to the BBC, reads, "I shall walk uprightly"--a phrase that also appears in Revelation. "

More at source (Yahoo news)

That's certainly something to chew on. Thoughts?

edit on 3/30/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Have they been translated to english yet?

I would like to read what they say...

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
When I opened this thread, it said something called aplle 7647dfghfd was installed on my computer.... It is the only browser window I have open right now.... So whats going on? Does anyone else get this?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Existing thread already made I believe.
Mods can you find and link it to this please thanks.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
So does this mean Jesus was legit?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by PoorFool
So does this mean Jesus was legit?

I wouldn't think so, any more than the Dead Sea Scrolls did. When the Gospel of Thomas was found that didn't do it either. It just suggested Jesus made out with Mary Magdalene a lot. It will be very exciting to see them translated, but I can't see how their existance would affect belief one way or another.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
One more find that helps prove the Ancient Alien theory.

Yes!!!!

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
It's sad that these experts are convinced that a sketch of walls on one page obviously refers to Jerusalem and that a small building with a opening obviously refers to Jesus' burial tomb. Pretty amazing that these folks see such obvious stuff in drawings like that. People are way too hungry for evidence to prove what they want to believe in this field of study.

new topics

top topics

join