What are the best Geiger counter to acquire ?

page: 1

join

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Hi all ATSers,

This is my first thread so if it is in the wrong section moderators, feel free to move it to the right forum.

With all that happened so recently ( radiation spikes on radiation networks, Japan, etc) I finally decided it was time for me to get a hand on a geiger counter. I'm no expert in this area so I went on ebay but didn't find anything digital or with a decent price (which looks like homemade geiger counter :dn

What do you guys suggest me ? I have a 200-400 $ budget and don't want to pay more but I prefer a digital to analogue indicator for precision. Fast readings would be great too ( better than a reading each 36 seconds ...).

By the way if there are others characteristics I should consider in my purchase feel free to teach me about it I would be glad.

Thruthseek3r

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by thruthseek3r

Is it not true that regular geiger counters do not pick up on the (MOX) plutonium isotopes?
I don't know and it would be nice to have this verified, but I would think that would be something to seriously ask about when buying one.
edit on 30-3-2011 by OptimisticPessimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by OptimisticPessimist

I have no idea but it could be something to consider knowing MOX was used in at least of the the Japanese nuclear powerplants in Fukushima. It is also these elements (Uranium-Plutonium) that can affect us the most and that have a long half-life.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by OptimisticPessimist

Is it not true that regular geiger counters do not pick up on the (MOX) plutonium isotopes?
I don't know and it would be nice to have this verified, but I would think that would be something to seriously ask about when buying one.

No, its not true.

A decent GC with the features you want is going to run you more than your budget and much more if you want it calibrated. There are a lot of plans out there for some neat homeade kits, but without calibration, I wouldnt trust them as anything other than a novelty.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

It is...these elements (Uranium-Plutonium) that can affect us the most and that have a long half-life.

I'm actually quite suprised there has not been a thread stating this serious fact about MOX yet.
People are rushing to buy counters, but ultimately, if they can't detect the most dangerous particles, they will surely be useless devices?
I'm likely even less clued up then you are I'm afraid - especially with regards to the effects of MOX released into the atmosphere (hence I'll be watching this thread!)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

I'm actually quite suprised there has not been a thread stating this serious fact about MOX yet.
People are rushing to buy counters, but ultimately, if they can't detect the most dangerous particles, they will surely be useless devices?
I'm likely even less clued up then you are I'm afraid - especially with regards to the effects of MOX released into the atmosphere (hence I'll be watching this thread!)

Yeah ... but that can detect them so thats a bit of a red herring. A unit with enough sensitivity can pick up gamma, alpha and beta emissions at fractions of a ms above background … you just gotta pay for it.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

I'm probably asking for much, considering the specifics requested, but is there a chance you could post a link to direct those concerned towards information about geiger counters specifically picking up on plutonium please? (I don't doubt you are correct)

I only ask because so far I've only come across a couple of sites stating that they can't. I can't remember the exact sites I perused, but they were linked from an environmental activist site, so the possibility of propaganda, or even just a stretch of the truth, must obviously be considered.

If you can't, I won't immediately dismiss your claim just because of it. I'll just have to go a-hunting for the difinitive evidence myself, is all!

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   

reply to post by SirMike

I'm probably asking for much, considering the specifics requested, but is there a chance you could post a link to direct those concerned towards information about geiger counters specifically picking up on plutonium please? (I don't doubt you are correct)

I totally agree with you on this one. That is what I'm looking for too and if not I'll be on my own. Further infos on this subject would be great.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Well, I don’t know if I could point to a website that will state “this GC will detect plutonium” because GC’s don’t differentiate between radionuclide emissions (alpha beta gamma). Plutonium is an alpha emitter (I think all the isotopes used in MOX are alpha emitters, but not 100% sure). Alpha radiation is the least energetic … a piece of paper or clothing can block nearly all of it. In fact, air can soak up most alpha emission after only a few feet of travel from the source. Accordingly, alpha particles have the most difficult time penetrating to the element in a GC tube as well. But that’s not to say all GC’s cant pick up alpha emissions, it just depends on the sensitivity of the instrument and the distance from the source but lots of detectors available on the market are capable of detecting alpha particles anyone who says differently just doesnt know what they are talking about.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Ok.
From a quick look, it seems that plutonium isotopes (or at least the ones to be concerned about) emit Alpha particles.

According to several sources, one of which being wiki:

Geiger counters are used to detect ionizing radiation (usually beta particles and gamma rays, but certain models can detect alpha particles).[my emphasis]

So it seems one must ensure they actually buy the right geiger counter for this particular disaster, as not all pick up on alpha particles.

Additionally, it seems (to this novice) that concern about plutonium may be only a concern for those in very close proximity to the reactors, if at all(?):

Alpha: These are actual particles that are electrically charged and are commonly referred to as alpha particles. Alpha particles are the least penetrating of the three primary forms of radiation, as they cannot travel more than four to seven inches in air and a single sheet of paper or the outermost layer of dead skin that covers the body will stop them. However, if alpha particle emitting radioactive material is inhaled or ingested, they can be a very damaging source of radiation with their short range being concentrated internally in a very localized area. [my emphasis]

Source

Looks as though those sites I was looking at the other day were indeed, stretching the truth quite a bit, so as to further their anti-nuclear agendas...what a way to discredit their otherwise decent sentiments!

reply to post by SirMike

Thanks, SirMike. You had posted before I'd finished this one.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

Maybe not exactly for plutonium, but do you have a trusted website where I could go look for geiger counter of a decent price (200 - 400$) ? If so I would appreciate as it is one of my primary concern right now.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   

No problem.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   

I really wish I could help you, but your price point is a bit low for what you are looking for.

You could always start with Amazon ... they sell everything.

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_7?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1301532678&sr=1-7

This one looks OK, but I would find a review ... it looks almost too inexpensive to be any good!
edit on 30-3-2011 by SirMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

Thanks for the search I appreciate

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by thruthseek3r
reply to post by SirMike

Thanks for the search I appreciate

No problem but take my advice and save your money. If you really still want that geiger counter in 2 months, look on ebay or craigslist because all the idiots who freaked out and bought them recently are going to be selling them.

I cant tell you how much 7.62x39 @ twenty cents on the dollar I bought after Y2K.
edit on 30-3-2011 by SirMike because: (no reason given)

new topics
top topics

join