It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Congressman (Wis.) Sean Duffey To Town Hall Meeting - " I have to struggle on my $174K salary"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Democrats and liberal websites are trying to paint Wisconsin Republican Rep. Sean Duffy as out of touch after the lawmaker--and former Real World cast member--claimed to be struggling on his $174,000 a year salary.

"Poor Hollywood Sean Duffy. He only makes four times the median family income in Wisconsin," state Democratic party chairman Mike Tate said in a statement Tuesday. "Has Sean Duffy ever been in the Real World?" asked liberal site Blogging Blue.

Outrage on the left this week was sparked by reports Duffy had complained at a town hall meeting that he has to "drive a used minivan," pays too much for health care, has "more debt than all of you" and struggles to pay his bills--all on $174,000 a year.

A constituent pointed out that $174,000 is three times his own salary.

Duffy said he resigned as Ashland County District Attorney before campaigning for seven months during which time he collected no paycheck. But the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee says that's not so. "He took a taxpayer funded salary as District Attorney for the majority of [his] campaign for Congress," the committee said in a release Tuesday. Additionally, "Duffy reimbursed himself over ten thousand dollars for everything from mileage to miscellaneous expense" while on the campaign trail, the DCCC claims.

But OpenSecrets deems Duffy's minimum net worth at $-837,984 and his maximum net worth at $2,995. Duffy's personal financial disclosure statement filed in May 2010 revealed he and his wife, author Rachel Campos-Duffy, earned $154,000 in 2009 and in the first half of 2010, Duffy and his wife reported earning $35,200. His reported liabilities total between $430,005 to $950,000. Duffy is due to file his next financial disclosure in May of this year.

I find it ironic that this guy was a cast member on "The Real World" because he is living in anything but the real world.

It seems that he was trying to identify with the struggle of his constituants, who have obviously suffered and lost a great deal during the economic collapse. Looks like his foot has been firmly implanted into his mouth, as most of those same people he was decrying his sob story to make a mere fraction of what Duffey makes as a US Congressman.

How can someone be so entirely oblivious to the current plight of the working American tax payer when he lives in such a fantassy land, where $174K annual salary is only a working wage?

How can a man represent the needs of the people when he has no clue what it is to live as a working class American?

Just another out of touch politician who lives like a well fed pig off of the tax dollars of the working class, yet still has the nerve to lament and complain about how "times are tight".

Unbelievable.

Link
edit on 3/30/11 by BlackOps719 because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/30/11 by BlackOps719 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
What!! Does he want people to feel sorry for him.

He says he is in debt well that is HIS fault nobody else's. He obviously lived beyond his means and on plastic/credit. This guy makes me sick, complaining about making this much money which could support 2 families!!

I have lived off of 10k a year before. It's all about budgeting and sticking to it. I was able to go out and do things but I saved for it. I didn't have a car payment which was nice and why would I have one when I barely made enough money?

This is what is wrong with this country. People overspend on credit and then can't pay it back. I have ZERO sympathy for these people, ZERO. Give me 174k a year and my lifestyle would not change guaranteed. I know how I am with money. I don't like to spend it unless it's something I feel I need and even then I am an avid thrift store shopper

He needs to man up and deal with it. He put himself in this predicament nobody else is to blame but himself...Same goes for the rest of this country. I have no sympathy for people whining about not being able to pay their bills and yet they have thousands of dollars of debt via credit....DONT GET CREDIT CARDS!

The only thing I would ever buy on credit would be a house. I dont even like car payments which is why I go to buy here pay here places. I usually finance a car for a year and I am good to go. I have a 98 Mustang and it runs GREAT. I didnt want a huge car payment. My car does what it was meant to do, get me to where I need to go. I dont care if it looks good or not. I'm not trying to show off or impress anyone.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

He makes four times the median income in his own state.

This guy is whining to people about having to budget his income that is four times what they are forced to subsist on, and he expects people to feel bad for him.

What was that John Mccain said during the last election...something about middle income being at around 1 million dollars....lmao.

And we wonder why they throw money around like it has no value.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
He may very well be struggling. It all depends on what he has done with his money. $170K+ per year is not enough money for three houses, a yacht, and several $25K vacations per year. I'm not saying that's what he's doing, I'm just bringing up that it depends on the lifestyle he set up for himself.

The problem is that people, any people, that make $175K per year and live like they make $250K, are going to struggle. Same with those that make $35K and pretend it's really $70K.

Now, he was, undoubtedly, rather stupid to bring this up at all -- and even breathe the word "struggle" anywhere in the vicinity of his salary range, especially given the current recession and the average median income.

But, money doesn't always equal intelligence.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I feel so, so sorry for him......I want him to try and live on my $843.00 a month Va. disability....He makes more in 10 days than I get all yr..If he wants to struggle then he needs to live on my income...he will then know what a struggling American life is all about...

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
The cost of living in the DC area is pretty high....especially Northern Va and contiguous Maryland suburbian real estate.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I think all politicians want people to believe that they are just like them. Struggling to make a living, trying to do what is right for the greater good. All of it is bull as I would think many on ATS know.

This guy has no idea what it is like to be even middle class. This guy went to a private universities for marketing and law, was on one of the most successful reality TV shows of its time and since then has occupied very powerful positions in his state.

This man has no right to complain about his financial situation, and instead of trying to relate to voters he should actually fight for them.
edit on 30-3-2011 by Openeye because: Spelling

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
This is a prime example of how our government is so disconnected from it's people. Let's see how whiny he is after he's out on his a##. Let the purge of this worthless government begin. These people obviously have no place representing us. I just hope there isn't another nutbar like Loughner around the corner somewhere to make a martyr out of one of these scum.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Why the hell are we paying are public officials that kind of money? If your a public official you should be capped at 50-60k, if you cant make a happy living on that your high.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicCitizen
The cost of living in the DC area is pretty high....especially Northern Va and contiguous Maryland suburbian real estate.

That would cost a lot of money....if the members of the US Congress actually paid for their own housing while living in DC and not living in housing paid for and provided by US tax payers.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I'm sure glad there are still some politicians who understand what it's like to struggle on a working Joe's salary...

(cough)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

Dont they get a housing allowance that only pays for part of it....? A lot of Congressmen chose to buy 2nd homes there and they are quite expensive in that area.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I'm not a politician but if you fine tax payers hand over you're hard earned cash I'll represent you and do a better job than this buffoon.

edit on 30-3-2011 by CordDragonzord because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I would like to pay this douche bag in cow S***. He is as special as they come and the fact he is whining about such things only goes to prove he suffers from some kind of mental deficiency.

I would hate to see someone like this face a REAL problem, God forbid.
I's times like this I wish a drank, cause I need wash my mind out now.
edit on 30-3-2011 by snowen20 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I'd like to see him live on minimum wage. His whining reminds me of the French revolution. "Your Highness, the people are revolting because they have no bread! If they have no bread, let them eat cake!" That is the kind of disconnect from reality it reminds me of.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
By the way I forgot to mention, thanks for starting out your thread with a laughing emoticon OP.
That wastes no time in placing this guys problem right where it needs to be, in the stock of laughter.
S&F by the way for pointing out stupid people.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Political bafoonery at it's finest. Same old story from these clowns, the left hand begs for spare change while the right hand tries to boost your wallet. Notice how they always have bogus, pre-scripted tales of hardship that they love to unload on any commoners within listening range, then turn around and throw a tantrum when they run out of Grey Poupon.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by MichiganSwampBuck
I'd like to see him live on minimum wage. His whining reminds me of the French revolution. "Your Highness, the people are revolting because they have no bread! If they have no bread, let them eat cake!" That is the kind of disconnect from reality it reminds me of.

I doubt he could live on minimum wage! He probably doesn't know how to budget his expenses which is what got him in this predicament to begin with.

She never said let them eat cake
that is a myth...sorry had to say that but i get your point of saying it. Makes sense

Don't hate me

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Wow, he makes 11.6 times more than me. Poor guy.

I am quite sure he does have more debt than many of us, but whose fault is that?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowen20
By the way I forgot to mention, thanks for starting out your thread with a laughing emoticon OP.
That wastes no time in placing this guys problem right where it needs to be, in the stock of laughter.
S&F by the way for pointing out stupid people.

I felt it was appropriate since it was my first reaction when i read the article

Poor little guy

<<   2 >>

join