It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Caesium fallout from Fukushima rivals Chernobyl

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Radioactive caesium and iodine has been deposited in northern Japan far from the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, at levels that were considered highly contaminated after Chernobyl.

The readings were taken by the Japanese science ministry, MEXT, and reveal high levels of caesium-137 and iodine-131 outside the 30-kilometre evacuation zone, mostly to the north-north-west.

Iodine-131, with a half-life of eight days, should disappear in a matter of weeks. The bigger worry concerns caesium-137, which has a half-life of 30 years and could pose a health threat for far longer. Just how serious that will be depends on where it lands, and whether remediation measures are possible.

After participating in last night's ATS Politics show, and biting my tongue while those scrutinizing the developments closely were regarded as hopeless fear-mongers; I offer this, which I was unable to share at the time:

www.newscientist.com...

Make of it what you will.... I know some insist that there is nothing to worry about.... all I can say is, they naturally don't consider those living in the north East of Japan.

edit on 30-3-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Great find. It's fun to finally see that a real true fact is now mentinned. I'm not for propaganda of fake informations but I'm a beliver the everyday person has the right to be informed of whats truly happening even considering the panic risk. Panic is better than mass deaths IMO concerning nuclear disaster.

S&F

Thruthseek3r

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

caesium-137, which has a half-life of 30 years

Ouch.

Well, we're even getting minimal traces of some radiation over here in Blighty, so, considering this is yet to end for those poor Japanese, I'm sure we'll be hearing more of this in the future.

Sad times.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
It seems that we will be wading through the bs for months to come...
at levels which far exceed the radiation...the radiation concerns are just beginning.

The International Atomic Energy Agency, meanwhile, reported Wednesday it found radiation in a village outside the evacuation zone at levels that are twice where it would recommend evacuations. Officials emphasized the reading was found in only one spot in Iitate village, about 25 miles (40 kilometers) from the plant, and did not say they were recommending an evacuation. The exclusion zone has a radius of 12 miles (20 kilometers). www.signonsandiego.com...

I am sure those in that village (still not even named in this article) are not comforted in any way
by the sheer bull of the IAEA.

edit on 30-3-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Thanks for the thread. I don't know how to imbed threads - not a computer literate person - but if you go to the Animated Map of the radioactivity plume from Fukushima Updated in Real Time on ATS under Top Topics+ - then go to page #3 - near top of the page you'll see a post by Hawaii50th. He posts a utube video that shows and explains the circulation of not only cesium but also xenon - already circulating the globe from Fukushima. This utube vid takes all the maps and explains what you are seeing and what it means.
Perhaps some other computer savy person can post this link and save readers the trouble of going through the steps I've just mentioned.
This is worse than most people imagine - getting more dangerous every day - with no end in sight. Only reliable info is on alternative news sights like ATS

new topics

top topics

join