It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Class of 1958 vs. 2011

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by NthOther

How far we've come.
About a month or 2 ago a student at the high school I attended got in ALOT of trouble for posting a distasteful comment on Facebook saying that, "school sucks I wish it would blow up." Well somehow someone saw this and the authorities were called and the FBI and maybe DHS show up to this kids house and confiscate all the families computers and whatnot and the kid got expelled and is going to serve jail time on the account of terrorism or something, not exactly sure what but it had the word terrorist in the charge. Now I don't think what he did was right, but I think they went way overboard with this. Couldn't he just got a slap on the hand or something else? All this coming from a school where there are maybe a maximum of 300 students. I graduated in 2010 so I talked to some of the kids in the graduating class of 2011.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
That gave me a huge laugh.
I remember sitting in school, watching kid after kid get detention and suspended for the most
trivial things you can imagine. (like suspending and bringing to court a 5th grade girl who unraveled a paper clip, claiming it was a deadly weapon, my hairy backside it was!)

School is a joke, it's a enormous cesspool of socially awkward, and spoiled brats.
And the teachers? well, 9 out of 10 teachers in my high school learned as we learned for christ sake.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I think scenario six is over-exaggerated, no way you get charged for that....
edit on 30-3-2011 by MikeBoss because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I graduated from high school in 1996 and in the community I went to school in, even as recently as that, it was very common for people to have hunting rifles and shotguns in gun racks in their trucks at school.

I was never a hunter myself, but some of my friends were and had guns in racks all the time, no one ever said anything. I'm sure things have changed since then though, considering my old high school is now the second largest in the state.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I am truly saddened at the way the world is today. My grandma was just telling me a story about when she was in High School they had classes called Rod and Gun, where they would learn to shoot (in the Gymnasium no less), clean the guns, how to be responsible with them, and how to build fishing reels and tackle for sustainability. I'm only 21 and I know the world shouldn't be this way. I nearly cry because the way of the world today. I hope people wake up and realize that it can be changed and we can go back to the days where you knew your neighbors, had block parties, helped others in need, had compassion, and knew not everyone was bad.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Welcome to the nanny state.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by America?

Your poor friend! Thats absolutely ridiculous!
Did they look for actual evidence for a plan to blow up the school? Of course not.

I got a friday after school detention for picking a flower in the flowerbed next to the canteen.
The teacher even went far enough to pull me out of class and asked me "would you like it if i came to your garden and picked your flowers" and then i got a big pink detention slip.
And they wonder why i didnt turn up.

It was the most ridiculous thing ever, my school is ridiculous with the way it handles these sorts of things. They also made a rule where there was 'up' stairs and 'down' stairs. So they were pretty much getting us to walk in a clockwise fashion around the school as going up and down the stairs at once is dangerous and against some OHS protocol. (bull$hit) that didnt last too long.

Maybe if they worried more about the students actually doing there work, and ACTUALL work not the pre conditioned bs, things would go a little better

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
If what I read here is true America is in trouble...
The school system where I live was quite the opposite, I even remember teachers giving students headache tablets if asked although the school had massive paranoia about marijuana to the extent that laughing in class ment a meeting with the counsellor and even then I dont remember anyone being caught for it even though most of the students were high most of the time!

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

I cant agree more with this thread.

it is ridiculous what is going on today. all kinds of medication for the kids, you can't comfort or scold them, If you do someone is knocking at your door and you're in trouble, then you hear on the news, what could of ever went wrong with the children of today.
DUH!!!
When i was growing up a good smack fixed most problems i had and i didn't need any medication to cure whats was wrong just a good punishment i learned pretty quick .
But now everything has to be politically correct, what a crock of BS.
Our Kids, Law makers and Government all need a good kick in the Butt and to be sent to their rooms with out dinner.
Things need to go back to old school and just punish the real abusers not everyone.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
While I generally agree with the OP's points, a couple of things. In 1958 people still trusted (mostly) their government and elected officials to do the right thing. In 1958 people the government was still able to keep dissenters and other potentially embarrassing information under wraps and out of the news. In 1958, breaking news might have been within a couple days of when something happened if you had a radio or tv. A week or more if you only had newspapers. In 1958, it was relatively common for atmospheric testing of atomic bombs. In 1958, the American Dream (if it ever existed) was slowly twisting and dying on the vine. 1958 wasn't all it was cracked up to be either, even when compared to problems today.
edit on 31-3-2011 by crudos because: grammar

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by thewanger
Just remember it is the counter-culture of the 60's running the country for the last many years. Dope smokers and commies.

Dope smokers and commies, yes these 2 groups in America have brought the downfall of a once great nation. Nothing to do with the coke snorting capitalists on Wall Street

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
For those of your who think that it was better times back in the day...

Sedan Nuclear Test, 1962

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Viking9019
Welcome to the nanny state.

Literally.. The main problem with the educational system is that it has become a woman's industry. And female teachers are using their power in the system to label any display of masculinity as a pathological disease(positive or negative). As well as using their power to hold back boy's in favor of girls.

They need to eliminate the gender gap in the teaching profession and bring it to 50-50, so these man-haters can't cause as much damage.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
The article reflects the truth and how sad it's become. And some people nothing has changed all these years.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
The email takes advantage of the notion that you won't understand or know how far society has changed in those years.

Originally posted by NthOther
I was sent this email this morning. So true, and a sad reminder of how ridiculous our society has become:

Scenario 1:

Jack goes quail hunting before school, then pulls into the school parking lot with his shotgun in his truck's gun rack.

1958 - Vice principal approaches, looks at Jack's shotgun, then goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.
2011 - School goes into lockdown, the FBI is called, and Jack is hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors are called in for traumatized students and teachers.

1958 -- That would be in the rural areas only. Not in the cities. Right after the war, there's no food stamps and no public welfare and many families in rural areas go to bed hungry if someone doesn't hunt. Columbine is decades in the future. No one brings a gun to schools to hunt and kill students.

2011 -- and what purpose is there to bringing a gun to school when most families use food stamps for food and the only ones hunting or fishing tend to do it for recreation? This is decades AFTER Columbine and guns inside school is a real issue. The possibility that the gun was there for hunting and killing another student is real, and it's terrifying for young teenagers. Maybe not for you, but with kids it's different.

Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.

1958 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up being buddies.

2011 - Police called. SWAT team arrives and arrests both Johnny and Mark. They are both charged with assault and expelled, even though Johnny started it.

"Shake hands?" "End up being buddies?" Someone had been watching "Leave it to Beaver." In the real world, the bullying and fighting continues. And in 1958, kids got expelled for that kind of activity in the schools I attended.

Jeffrey will not sit still in class, disrupting other students.

1958 - Jeffrey is sent to the principal's office and given a good paddling. He returns to class, sits still, and does not disrupt the class again.

2011 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin, turning him into a zombie. He is then tested for ADHD. The family gets money from the government because Jeffrey has a disability.

1958, real world, Jeffrey drops out of school. The only reason he'd sit still after a paddling and be a "good boy" is if he had been acting up to be "class clown." Those with ADHD issues got into fights, got punished, got into more trouble and then got sent to reform schools (prisons.)

en.wikipedia.org...

Mark has a headache and takes some aspirin to school.

1958 - Mark's teacher asks, "Anyone have any aspirin?". Mark is happy to share.

2011 - The police are called and Mark is expelled for violating the school's zero tolerance drug policy. His car is then searched for drugs and weapons.

You know, I don't see any stories that match the 2011 concept. I do see permission forms that say "my kid takes tylenol and it can be given to him at school." There were problems with drugs in the schools in the 1950's (read VALLEY OF THE DOLLS -- the drug culture was there). Drugs are given by nurses today to ensure that the kid is getting the right meds.

Pedro fails high school english.

1958 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes english, and goes to college.

2011 - Pedro's cause is taken up by the state. Newspaper articles appear nationally claiming that teaching english as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against the state school system and Pedro's english teacher. English is then banned from the core cirriculum. Pedro is given his diploma anyway, but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he can't speak english.

1958, Pedro doesn't get into school at all. This was the era of segregation. Pedro couldn't get into college. Most Blacks can't get into colleges (except Black only college.) "No Dogs or Mexicans" signs were common ( en.wikipedia.org...-1960s ) Lynchings were not unknown, and attempts to have an anti-lynching law were defeated.

2011 -- I teach kids that have little English (and this is in Texas, by the way.) By the time they're in 5th grade, they are bilingual. There are kids who drop out and there are kids who have poor English skills. Some of them are Caucasian. Some are Black. Some are Hispanic. A few are Asian. So my direct experience as someone who teaches is that they do indeed learn and (like kids everywhere) some are much better at it than others.

The lawn mowing guys are generally "green card" guys and not Spanish speaking native Texans.

Jimmy falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs Jimmy to comfort him.

1958 - In a short time, Jimmy feels better and goes on playing.

2011 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job, facing three years in state prison. Jimmy undergoes five years of intense therapy.

Not accused of being a sexual predator, but BEFORE becoming a teacher you are taught how to give appropriate hugs (from the side) and what is appropriate touching. You do have to take classes AND have an intensive background checks. Sometimes it doesn't work.

The quote also failed to note the "Lolita" stories of the 1950's and 1960's and the issues there.

So... it's amusing, but don't take it for fact.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by crudos
For those of your who think that it was better times back in the day...

Sedan Nuclear Test, 1962

Ah yes. I remember that. And the "duck and cover" drills.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
"Shake hands?" "End up being buddies?" Someone had been watching "Leave it to Beaver." In the real world, the bullying and fighting continues. And in 1958, kids got expelled for that kind of activity in the schools I attended.

Maybe it's just where you're from then. I know people who got into fights at my high school and then ended up being best friends, and that's in the late 1990s.

When I was in elementary school, me and one of my best buddies got into a fight, because he kept jumping onto my back, so I eventually slung him over it and we got into a fist fight. The teachers made us apologize to each other and immediately after that we were best of friends again. No expulsion or being sent to the office or anything. That was in North Carolina.

And what's ironic is that at that time (maybe even today), North Carolina still allowed their schools to paddle kids. There was a paddle in a glass case like a fire extinguisher outside the principle's office. Your parents had to sign a permission slip at the beginning of each school year for the principle to be allowed to paddle your kids. My parents didn't sign, but I was never sent to the office anyway, even for that fight I just mentioned.

Of course North Carolina was also ranked 48th out of the 50 states as far as public education at that time...

edit on 10-4-2011 by bsbray11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by America?

About a month or 2 ago a student at the high school I attended got in ALOT of trouble for posting a distasteful comment on Facebook saying that, "school sucks I wish it would blow up." Well somehow someone saw this and the authorities were called and the FBI and maybe DHS show up to this kids house and confiscate all the families computers and whatnot and the kid got expelled and is going to serve jail time on the account of terrorism or something...

That's absolutely ridiculous, isn't it (sorry I haven't responded to anyone's posts yet--been away from a computer worth a damn for a while)?

Your story reminds me of when I was a sophomore in high school in 1994 learning PASCAL in Computer Programming II. The assignment was to code a computer game. I designed one resembling an Atari version of Doom where the end boss was the principal of our school. Instead of being arrested and thrown into juvenile hall, I got an A+. My teacher even showed the principal and he got a good laugh out of it... and he hated my guts in the first place.

I'd like to point out that I didn't go to a rural school, as one previous poster inferred that such areas were the only ones so "lasse faire" in the past--this was a major metropolitan city. This wasn't very long ago either, compared to 1958. The statist nannyism has accelerated exponentially in recent years.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi
Well as this is America

Leroy goes to his Negro Elementary School, but on his way is picked up by Jo, Fritz and ten of their KKK mates. They have a jolly good laugh at his expense and then throw him off a bridge to his death.

Hope this helps balance the rose tinted glasses view of the past.

Regards

I don't think the original author of this mass email (as someone else pointed out, this is apparently a re-post) intended to make a "rose-tinted" presentation of the past, but rather a puke-green observation of the present.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Scenario 7

1958 Alexandra gets home from school and invites friends over for a party. It gets chilly out so they light a bonfire. Everyone is invited from around the neighborhood, and they bask in the light of warmth, food, and friends.

2011 The snitches at 815 S Prospect see that in the adjacent yard, some kids are having a fire. It may be a party, a terrorist act, or a house fire~not sure, so they call the police. Firetrucks are sent to put the fire out, and the cops make a note that this Alexandra Green is a regular trouble maker. Radioactive plumes fill the planets atmosphere, and there's no note of this on any zionist owned media outlets.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join