It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Official: All 4 reactors to be condemed/scrapped/closed.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Radiation leaking into seawater from Japan's tsunami-damaged nuclear complex has reached its highest level yet, prompting officials to declare that four reactors will be scrapped.

Hidehiko Nishiyama, deputy director general of the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency, said seawater tested near the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power station was found to contain iodine-131 at 3,355 times the safety standard.

"We have no choice," Tsunehisa Katsumata, chair of Tokyo Electric Power Company, known as TEPCO, said as he told a news conference Wednesday that Units 1, 2, 3 and 4 at the plant will be scrapped.

ca.news.yahoo.com...

Appears to be official now; impossible to salvage. Once cooled down, they will cover and close these sites indefintley. Wonder what took so long to realize these plants ARE NOT salvagable??...

edit on 30-3-2011 by CanadianDream420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I'll go out on a limb here and give my reason: money.

Big money is going to be lost by scrapping these plants. Same reason I think they are feeding so much conflicting information on what's going. If they would have had a lucky hit and made the problem manageable they would just clean up and go about business like it never happened.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Not good at all.Let's just hope they dont get another huge quake in the next little while before they can entomb these monsters of potential death

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Disposing of all that nuclear waste, including the slag which leaked from the reactor will be quite a trick.

$310 Billion in damages? That's going to be quite a hit to the bottom line of their insurers budget.

My prayers to the Japanese people who trusted their robber-baron industrialists just as the rest of us trust ours.....

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Already a thread on this news here...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
~Someone intelligent please answer this, not some bulls*** internet scientist.

This is great news, next step should be emtombment. Is there any way this can go wrong? Say they entomb with all the necessary materials, what then? Will disaster be averted?

Please be reasonable in your answer, no fearmongering 1 in a million moon man answer. Just gimme the likely outcomes.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Redneck from Hell

This is great news, next step should be emtombment. Is there any way this can go wrong? Say they entomb with all the necessary materials, what then? Will disaster be averted?

It will be a while I think before they can start the entombment, due to heat....once they entomb which could be months or years from now...that is only a stop gap measure...concrete does not stand up to well and will have to be redone over time

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Curio
Already a thread on this news here...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please post in the above thread, and this thread is now closed.

top topics

join