It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Censoring Earthquake Reports; Protecting the Nuclear Industry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
There are several "live" earthquake reporting sites on the net, but they are NOT listing quakes "live, as they happen." In fact, earthquake locations are not appearing until after independent news reports hit the Internet. Such is the power of the Nuclear Industry.

The Nuclear Industry convinced the world that nuclear energy is Green Energy, taking advantage of global warming concerns. Orders for nuclear reactors were rolling in - even from nations on fault lines, in earthquake prone areas.

Then, in the 4 weeks between February 22 and March 24, our planet experienced 3 devastating earthquakes:

Christchurch, February 22;
Japan, March 11;
Burma/Myanmar, March 24.

The Japan quake highlighted the dangers of nuclear power, and Indonesia started pulling back on nuclear deals. The Burma quake triggered several in Thailand, one of many nations slated to build more nuclear reactors, and revived anti-nuclear concerns there.

"They were triggered by the earthquakes in Burma, …," said Adisorn, who is the chief meteorological official in the North.

A funny reporter summed it up for us in the Bangkok Times:

If Japanese officials in charge of the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant were as smoothly efficient as the officials in charge of media management, there wouldn't be any need to spin the story.

…consumers have their concerns, but were largely convinced that despite the continuing, unfixed radiation leaks there is really no cause for concern…

Chief cheerleader Seiji Kojima, Japanese ambassador to Thailand, made the media rounds with a simple three-part message: ''Don't worry, be happy, mai mee panha [no problem].'' …

The Public Health Ministry backed him up. …

The Atoms for Peace office, which runs Thailand's only nuclear reactor in Bangkok, was also on the job inspecting food and other items from Japan, but without setting off the Geiger counters.

The anti-nuclear activists turned down the volume a bit. The pro-nuclear activists turned up the volume a bit. Once again, it became ... well, if not acceptable then at least permissible to speak well of the idea that Thailand would benefit from one or a few nuclear reactors to produce electricity.

A prominent voice spoke up. …Give Thailand 20 or 30 years, …and it will either have nuclear power plants or it will have blackouts and energy shortages.

Then, right on schedule, so to speak, a major earthquake hit and scrambled the nuclear debate yet again. The 6.8 magnitude quake, centred inside Burma just 56km north of the northernmost district town of Mae Sai, shook the ground and swayed tall buildings in Hanoi and Bangkok.

Inside Thailand, a 55-year-old woman died when a concrete wall fell on her, the only registered casualty. But in Burma, there was devastation …

…the quake …highlighted Thailand's shifting position on tectonic plates with fault lines in the North and in Kanchanaburi…

The earth is rocking, and has been for a while. But our "live" reporting is censored - and unreliable. Worse, our planet's scientists are spewing poppycock, hooked in to "prevent panic." It's all damage control from the Nuclear Industry. What a crock.

Time to own up: Our planet is unstable, and subject to change. Sometimes radical change. Don't make it worse. Deal with it. Let us deal with it.

Fairly reliable: GlobalIncidentMap.com
Online inconsistently: Magnetosphere Simulations

edit on 30/3/11 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
ALL governments = EVIL .....

Chief cheerleader Seiji Kojima, Japanese ambassador to Thailand, made the media rounds with a simple three-part message: ''Don't worry, be happy, mai mee panha [no problem].''

I hope he'll be happy when he is laying in his coffin.....lol....stupid A$$ Bastard....

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
The Nuclear Industry is suffering in a lot of ways now - and nuclear waste is being noticed.

Plans to ship generators containing radioactive waste on the Great Lakes have been delayed.

...The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission granted the power company a license in February to ship 16 generators from Owen Sound, Ontario, to Sweden. The license is good for a year.

...There is no timetable for plans to ship the generators, but Cannon said efforts to get permission from such governments as the United States, England and Sweden would continue.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
sofi, not sure I am in agreement with this notion. It takes time to plot and deliver information on quakes. The USGS itself can take up to 30 minutes or more sometimes to list quakes after they happen. This is normal. On larger quakes they usually list those pretty fast, within 10 minutes after they happen.

Another problem is what listing services you are using. The USGS only lists quakes above 4.5 magnitude. In this case in Japan, you must watch the JMA if you want to see quakes lower in magnitude. But even watching the JMA, I have seen some quakes in GEE that have gone unreported. I know they are quakes because multiple stations confirm them. And it used to be that NHK was reporting the bigger ones, warning residents. The JMA uses an early warning system that detects the P-waves, makes an instant estimate of the size of the quake, and then alerts before the much more damaging S-waves arrive. However, that last 6.0 the NHK gave no warning for, and interestingly, it was close to Fukushima.

With the massive damage, power outages, and extreme circumstances, I am amazed we have any reporting on quakes at ALL in Japan, and amazed also that they have kept the seismo stations up, despite all that. I'd like to buy into your premise here, but the technicalities of recording and plotting them are making that difficult for me.

Honest. I still

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

The Harper government fired Linda Keen when she tried to bring Canadian nuclear safety regulations in line with international standards.

The problem is that nuclear power companies like TEPCO and the government regulators are "essentially one and the same," says Gordon Edwards of the Canadian Coalition for Nuclear Responsibility, a civil society organisation.

This is the situation not only in Japan but in Canada, the United States and other countries, Edwards said.

"There are few independent nuclear experts in the world. Everyone either works in the industry or used to and are now regulators," he said.

Canada has a large government-owned nuclear industry with 17 reactors providing 15 per cent of the country's electricity. The Canadian government has sold its CANDU nuclear reactors to several countries, including Argentina and, most recently, China.

Canada's nuclear plants have been plagued with costly repairs and shutdowns, mainly due to leaking pipes. While there have not been any fatalities, repair costs have been in the billions of dollars.

The industry and regulators are not interested in educating the public or policymakers, Edwards says. "They never explain that radioactivity can never be turned off. They don't explain that even when a reactor is shut down it still generates an enormous amount of heat that has to be removed to prevent a meltdown," he stressed.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
S@F again bringing the unspeakable to the forefront Sophi.

Seems even here on ATS there is usually a backlash for even suggesting that anything is tampered with and then the sucking up starts in case any of those sites are monitoring ATS, they really are grateful to get any news censored or not, could this be part of the problem?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Really - it's happening. Got me quite PO'd last night when I was trying to verify this report from China on Xinhuanet: Another 6.4M near Fukushima, NSA Admits Containment Mechanism May Be Breached.

And the "blame the terrorist" campaign that's started now to cover-up radioactivity? Pah!

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Kind of Ironic that we had a 3.5 quake yesterday 40 miles from one of our nuclear sties in the Deep River, Chalk River area. Could TPTB actually be planning on setting off more nuclear accidents to make sure the worls gets a good dose of radiation? Just a thought.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by rogerramjett

Originally posted by rogerramjett

Could TPTB actually be planning on setting off more nuclear accidents to make sure the worls gets a good dose of radiation? Just a thought.

I think it's more likely that they've been covering up ongoing problems - and leakage. Not to mention the accumulation of radioactive dust from the depleted uranium used in all those little wars - and the Japan meltdowns.

Now, people are getting their own geiger counters, internet sites are being set up to compile the information - and everyone is about to find out just how bad it all is.

We've totally contaminated our world for profit and toys - but the banks are foreclosing on our homes anyway.

Time to rethink.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
S@F for you Soficrow.
I think you're on to something here.
Let's see what member research brings up

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

I think you should realise that ALL earthquake reports are 'preliminary' reports. Earthquakes are not being hidden. As TA says sometimes it can be a while before the quake is reported and I can tell you now that if you watch earthquakes as much as I do you will know that they can come in hours, days, or sometimes even weeks after the event. In addition to this the magnitudes may be adjusted up or down, the latitude and longitude may change etc etc.

Believe it or not as you will, some quakes will be reported by one agency and not by another. This may be because of reporting levels but it can even happen for mag 6 quakes.

Only today I found a mag 6 quake that has appeared in the USGS lists that was NOT in the 7 day listings at the time, in other words since I pull the 7 days listings, and it was not in my database, then it happened to come into the lists after 7 days had passed. This is not an uncommon occurrence. During times of heavy activity it can be a task to sort out the earthquakes one from another. There have been several instances of earthquakes suddenly becoming 2. for the price of 1

You all seem to think this is such an exact science. It is not. Not only do different agencies use different methods that give different results, they don't all measure on the same scale. Some will be Mb, some Mw, some Mi and some ML or another scale.

No one is censoring reports. That is just plain stupid since the waves from a larger earthquake travel all round the world and will be turning up on every seismo. If you really think 'they' could possibly censor that then you are mad.

At the end of the day it is not their job to report these to the public. That is only a part of their job, and a very minor part at that. They are in place to look at the hazards of seismicity and that is an overall view. They are not in place to report every single earthquake. We should be grateful that they do what they do.

Perhaps you can explain that last part of your rather sensationalist headline? In what way would not reporting an earthquake protect the nuclear industry, bearing in mind that this is the USGS you are talking about and the nukes are Japanese?

You appear to have forgotten that for one of these reactors to be breached is an act of God and it would be to their advantage to report the earthquake rather than cover it up as covering it up means that the breach may be construed as caused by bad design or operation.

You might want to check the radiation monitor in my signature as well. There is no abnormal radiation in the US at present.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I checked the rad monitor you indicated. \it shos levels of 8 to 55 avergaing say about the teens, but as high as 55 whatever it is they count.???
There is NO explanation as to danger levels or anything i could see ...how would we know whats normal>
Is Denver just plain too high in the sky for its own good?(less distance for the rays to come in...)
Or WTF?
I sawe that Atlanta had a 139 reading here the other day, was that bad?
Its all pretty cornfusing for the layman.
The news said elevated levels found in local waters and seaweeds near vancouver BC. this was said to have to have been four time stronger to be harmful, but i think of it as a quarter the way to being a threat. Even this 75% increase margine ios not much compared to the amount of materials that can escape from the stricken facilities.
Not to understate the situation the kapaanese people find themselves faced with and i fully sympathise, but this is not a local problem any longer.....This is a world situation in which all nations with useable resources either to cool the reactors or aid in the defusing of these monsters should now be stopping all but the most nessessary of functions, and bring the world s resources to the aidf of Both Japan and the rest of the worlds children.
There are thousands of tons of fuel rods which are still radioactive stored at this place.They have the potential for the largest dirty bomb in history going off right on the edge of the pacific ocean!
This is not a matter for Tepco, or the Japanese Goverment to decide anymore, but a matter for all the worlds experts to input and ponder solutions.
The time is growing shorter to stop this as cleanly as possible.
Clearly we risk soime heavy pollution that will take possible centuries to erase the dangers.
Food sources for entire populations may be at risk!
There is a growing number of crop and food failures as the weather of the world has turned indigent and we are faced with floods hurricanes and divers earthquakes and disasters.
Droughts have killed off millions already!
This is just one more straw on a groaning camels back....How long till total meltdown spews radiation for hundreds of miles.???????

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan

I think you should realise that ALL earthquake reports are 'preliminary' reports.

I DO realize it - and stipulate in the OP that I'm referring to sites that advertise "LIVE" earthquake listings, as they happen.

These sites distinguish "preliminary" reports from those "reviewed by a seismologist" as "not reviewed."

No one is censoring reports. That is just plain stupid since the waves from a larger earthquake travel all round the world and will be turning up on every seismo. If you really think 'they' could possibly censor that then you are mad.

Erm. A simple program would do it.

They are not in place to report every single earthquake.

Then they shouldn't say that's what they're doing.

Perhaps you can explain that last part of your rather sensationalist headline? In what way would not reporting an earthquake protect the nuclear industry...?

...for one of these reactors to be breached is an act of God and it would be to their advantage to report the earthquake rather than cover it up as covering it up means that the breach may be construed as caused by bad design or operation.

Certainly. It's quite clear that ongoing leakage and radioactive dust from depleted uranium weapons and Japan's putative meltdowns has blown round the world.

This is particularly important because low level radiation exposure turns normal healthy proteins into disease-causing infectious prions.

environmental insults, either physical (heat, pressure, radiation) or chemical (heavy metals, arsenate, toxins), also cause proteins to misfold into toxic shapes.

The world already is experiencing a budget-busting Dementia Pandemic and Chronic Disease Pandemic that arguably were caused or triggered by prions.

And it's about to get a WHOLE lot worse.

You might want to check the radiation monitor in my signature as well. There is no abnormal radiation in the US at present.

You have heard the story about the frog in water brought slowly to a boil, right?

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   

These sites distinguish "preliminary" reports from those "reviewed by a seismologist" as "not reviewed."

Since I don't know which sites you are looking at I cannot comment on that other than to say that reviewed by a seismologist is NOT the final solution.

Erm. A simple program would do it.

Obviously you do not spend much time riffling through seismic waveform files as I do. It is damn near impossible and the point that I was making was that whilst the USGS and EMSC might possibly be able to confer, how about all the other regions throughout the world that have their own copies of waveforms? Sorry, it would NOT be possible to remove an event from every siesmo in the world and certainly not with a simple program!!!

Then they shouldn't say that's what they're doing.

I don't believe they do, but I may be wrong. USGS admits that it does not promulgate world wide events under 4.5 magnitude normally.

The world already is experiencing a budget-busting Dementia Pandemic and Chronic Disease Pandemic that arguably were caused or triggered by prions.

Radiation has always been around and in some areas it is many times worse than others, I am talking about things like radon gas here. You seem to be suggestion that prion diseases are caused by radiation, however I do not believe that to be the case. They were discovered by a radiation biologist, but because they were resistant to radiation.

Much of the causative factors of dementia, particular in the western world, are due to our diet and lifestyle and the rubbish that is placed into the food chain by manufacturers and condoned by organisations such as the EPA and it equivalents. Very few people in the West have what could reasonably be considered to be a healthy diet - one that we were designed for.

One of the causes of Altzheimers is aluminium and some areas have naturally high aluminium in the water such as the highlands of Scotland. Where it is not naturally high we try and make it so with aluminium cans, cooking utensils etc.

I don't see it getting a whole lot worst unless more of this rubbish is forced down out throats by Big Agri et al. supported by Big Pharma who want it to happen.

You have heard the story about the frog in water brought slowly to a boil, right?

Watch the monitor. If that starts showing over 120 in many areas regularly then the water is coming to the boil! Time to jump out!

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Sites that say they're providing "live" earthquake reports, but don't, include "emsc" and "Japan Quakes." On the other hand, GlobalIncidents does seem to be live.

With all respect to you and others who review seismic waveform files - my assumption is that the "live" reports rely on computer programs, NOT actual people. I also assume live reports are "modified" after review by actual humans.

Given that "live" reports result from programs monitoring seismic activity reports - it's not hard to build in a "delay" or "silence" directive.

USGS doesn't figure into this.

...You seem to be suggestion that prion diseases are caused by radiation, however I do not believe that to be the case.

You need to replace your beliefs with information and evidence.

You asked for a motive; I provided it here:

environmental insults, either physical (heat, pressure, radiation) or chemical (heavy metals, arsenate, toxins), also cause proteins to misfold into toxic shapes.

You're right though, like other standard decontamination procedures, radiation does NOT kill prions - it causes normal proteins to mutate into prions, and prions to mutate and evolve into new strains.

They were discovered by a radiation biologist, but because they were resistant to radiation.

...While good, Alper and Griffith's work was built on the shoulders of other greats like Gadjusek - who's work dates back to the 50's. Personally I'd credit Linus Pauling for discovering prions, based on his seminal work describing the "a" and "b" conformations of the actin protein - but I wouldn't dismiss Prusiner!

And again - all of the standard sterilization and decontamination methods, including radiation: a) can create prions by causing normal proteins to misfold; and b) cause prions to mutate and evolve into new strains.

Much of the causative factors of dementia, particular in the western world, are due to our diet and lifestyle and the rubbish that is placed into the food chain by manufacturers and condoned by organisations such as the EPA and it equivalents. ...

Incomplete info. ...See above re: creating prions and new prion strains. Same process, different agents.

One of the causes of Altzheimers is aluminium and some areas have naturally high aluminium in the water such as the highlands of Scotland.

Yes, there is an association between aluminum and Alzheimer's - it's most likely one of many agents that promote protein misfolding, and create prions.

NOTE: "Prion" originally referred to ALL "proteinaceous infectious particles" but was redefined to cover only those involving the (also renamed) normal "prion" protein found in the brain. Other diseases caused by misfolded infectious proteins (prions) are now called "conformational" diseases or disorders. The names change depending on the cells and systems involved as well as the symptoms.

There is so, so much more but here are a few quick picks - old news, but apparently you missed it:

Mad Cow And Alzheimer's Have Surprising Link

Scientists have discovered a surprising link between Alzheimer's disease and mad cow disease. It turns out both diseases involve something called a prion protein.

Link found between Alzheimer's, mad cow protein

The Prion Link to Cancer

Cancer is a disease with many different causes including genetic mutations and retrovirus infection. In recent years, however, many links have been found between prions and various types of cancer. In 2009, researchers found a prion biomarker for pancreatic cancer (Li et al., 2009) and in another report it was demonstrated that prion protein (PrP) antibodies slowed the rate of tumor growth in colon cancer (McEwan et al., 2009).

Prion protein: From physiology to cancer biology.

Prion protein (PrPc) was originally viewed solely as being involved in prion disease, but now several intriguing lines of evidence have emerged indicating that it plays a fundamental role not only in the nervous system, but also throughout the human body. PrPc is expressed most abundantly in the brain, but has also been detected in other non-neuronal tissues as diverse as lymphoid cells, lung, heart, kidney, gastrointestinal tract, muscle, and mammary glands. Recent data indicate that PrPc may be implicated in biology of glioblastoma, breast cancer, prostate and gastric cancer. Over expression of PrPc is correlated to the acquisition by tumor cells of a phenotype for resistance to cell death induced by TNF alpha and TRAIL or antitumor drugs such as paclitaxel and anthracyclines. PrPc may promote tumorigenesis, proliferation and G1/S transition in gastric cancer cells. This review revisits the physiological functions of PrPc, and its possible implications for cancer biology.

Cellular prion protein promotes invasion and metastasis of gastric cancer

Prion Protein Identified As Novel Early Pancreatic Cancer Biomarker

Li, C. et al. 2009. Binding of pro-prion to filamin A disrupts cytoskeleton and correlates with poor prognosis in pancreatic cancer. J. Clinical Investigation 119(9):2725-2736. doi:10.1172/JCI39542.

McEwan, J. et al. 2009. Antibodies to prion protein inhibit human colon cancer cell growth. Tumor Biology 30:141-147. doi:10.1159/000225243.

new topics

top topics

join