It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dear Bill Gates

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnySeagull
reply to post by mblahnikluver

sorry. never seen buffy.

i'm so embarressed/ashamed.

Haha don't be lol I use Buffy references a lot at times lol

It just popped into my head at that moment.

Funny cause I also have a Buffy tattoo lol yup I do!

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I love the last line lol

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Ok I appreciate the links but I guess I didn't make it clear... I am PC ILLITERATE. I would screw this computer up so bad if I tried that...Believe me I know how I can mess up a PC with a few clicks lol

l know you can put windows on the new Apples which is something I will not be doing...ever lol

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   

wow. a buffy and an apple.

what other tattoos have you got?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   

oh hell, the PC V Mac thing has been going on since...well, since people called Mac by its original name, Apple.

I, being a nerd, love PCs and hate mac for perhaps the exact reason you don't like it...I can "pop the hood" and see whats going on, tweak it for super preformance, etc...I feel in control of a PC, but thats because I know what I am doing. My parents have reciently got into computers and I was seriously considering recommending they get a mac..simply because of its user friendly-ness..however, my religion won over my common sense and am now their default tech support guy sadly.

But ya, the war rages on..what is better, user friendlyness verses power and control through complexity.

Some of us nerds are actually a bit miffed at windows 7 for trying to become too user friendly actually...

And finally, I personally don't think everyone should be able to easily jump on a computer, and especially not online...in the early days of computers, you knew when you got online (bulletin board system or something) the people you interacted with were typically pretty intelligent..you needed to be just to get on in the first place...

Then 95 came out and it became a bit easier...AOL hell sent out their services and it allowed even more average minded people to jump on this internet thing..luckily they seemed pretty contained behind their AOL kingdom and lacked the ability to figure out how to truely go on the net (verses the service net segments and chatrooms AOL offered).

Now...its becoming so easy that total morons can simply smack their keyboard and get to any part of the net...you will note a massive quality reduction in the past 10 or so years from online content. Hell, even video games for computers are now starting to move towards idiots verses intellects.

I may have to write my own rant thread on this...but a good example is supreme commander...a classic realtime strategy game..highly complex. they just released a new supreme commander (2) and their "improvement" was making the graphics a bit better (arguably...frankly, it looks much..much worse to me) and removed -all- complex things in order to attract a wider PC audience whom appearantly don't have the braincells to figure it out...grrrr

grrrrr

and this is not new...the more dumbed down and easy it becomes to get online, the more the content will cater towards just that...

grrrrrrr

-shakes fist-

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Want to flame something? ......the microsoft word paperclip help buddy

If I could have reached inside the screen......

Stupidly optimistic, self righteous little f**k

"Hi, it looks like you are writing a suicide note...."

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Haha yeah the rivalry has been going on forever lol

I wish I knew how to use PCs honestly. I never had that chance in school, the internet was just coming to popularity and my bf was the only person I knew who had it. We didn't have to take computer classes in school, just typing.

If I knew how to use a PC I'm sure it wouldnt be so bad but I will stick to my Apple
that i know.

hey go ahead and rant, it's the rant forum and it's my thread so I dont care

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnySeagull

Eiffel Tower, two Shakespeare quotes and the Fleur de Lis

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
@ SaturnFX

Yes, in a way windows 7 is a bit toooo user friendly. Its tried to make things easy that shouldnt necessarily be easy for everyone, not least the networking side of things. Im still not sure I know where my TCP/IP settings are....

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I know better than to get involved in a Mac/PC war but I felt the need to clear up some outdated misconceptions.

A brand new Mac comes with the OS pre-installed and includes some handy software for the amateur to semiprofessional in both audio and video. Both of which can be upgraded to a fully professional suite of software for nominal cost yet not lose the work already done when you upgrade. Everything recorded with GarageBand as far as layouts and settings for each project's tracks are still viable and read by the pro suite.

The Mac Mini at $700 is a bit pricy. A low end Alienware gaming computer starts at $1200 and a quality Dell XPS 8300 starts at $750. Yes there is a lower end one for $500. But let's stick to apples and apples when it comes to graphics cards included versus low end built in chips. Windows 7 is pre-installed as well here but you still only have what comes with Win 7 for software. Give the difference in setup times, a Mac can have the first guitar track laid down before the PC has the appropriate recording software installed.

OS X is a Linux variant built based on BSD. Not the most popular flavor but it is what the Next was built one while Steve Jobs was away from Apple.

Office software. Neither come with any office software for free. If you want compatibility with Microsoft Office that the rest of the word uses you have to either pony up the cash or use something else like Open Office. But as far as database building goes. I still enjoy FileMaker Pro over MS Access just because I can build and change on the fly. Again FM Pro is cross platform.

Right clicking on a Mac has been around for quite a while now. You get a little pop up window with much of the same options. One change in OS X versus the old OS 8 and 9 is that you have to use a mouse. On the old OS's a mouse was optional as everything could be done from the keyboard in almost all software. The exception being some shareware and freeware programs.

Gaming. You can play a variety of games on a Mac and the Best thing is that if it says on the box that it will work then it will work. There is no 10000 different types of builds to consider, although it is possible to custom configure your Mac in such a way that a particular game will not work. Then again look at what happens if you type random bits in the System Registry on a PC. It might not ever boot up again.

Mac's are cannot be customized. The oldest myth there is right there. To my left on the other side of the room is an old Power Mac 5400. This is an old all in one unit that predates the iMac. It has a 200 MHz Power PC processor that had a G3 400 added to it. It had an external CD burner and a Zip Drive, a Jazz Drive, 2 external HD (one of which was set up on a switch to become the boot drive). I was able to boot it up and run it in any one of 5 different OS's including Win 98 on a old P2 166 that I had added to the mix. I called it the Franken-Mac because of the way it was cobbled together to work as it did.

Worst problem I had was running out of memory on the Win 98 portion of the setup so PC gaming was limited. I hope that this cleared up a few misconceptions without causing too many arguments. And if anyone can show me a good PC laptop that can become a mobile recording studio that can record 8 live tracks at once without bogging down for considerably less than the MacBook Pro 13's $1200 price and using Fast Track Ultra let me know.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Nothing beats a Mac for video/audio production, nothing! My Macbook Pro blows away my PC in terms of speed, reliability, noise, boot-up time and it just seems to process everything quicker and cleaner.

I'd never get a corporate logo as a tattoo though, that's kind of sheepish to me.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

I am well aware of the Apple cost but to me in the long run it is worth it. Its like buying a VW over a Hyundai lol

Uh yeah...you should review the reliability records for VW vs. Hyundai.

I think you've bought into the corporate shenanigans a little too much.

Take that from a VW owner. My next vehicle is going to be a Hyundai.

Edit - I did some looking for you.
www.consumerreports.org...
edi t on 30-3-2011 by WickettheRabbit because: Ah...VW

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Bill Gates hasn't been heavily involved in Microsoft for a few years now. He stepped down, becoming a non-executive chairman, so he could spend most of his time with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. This man is amazing for what he is doing with his foundation. Bill and Melinda are some of world's most generous philanthropists, who plan to give away 60 billion dollars.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by whenjasonattacks

Ill get flamed for this but oh well ....

i noticed a few people state that the Macs are under powered and useless and i thought id chime in....

2.2GHz quad-core, Intel Core i7, 4GB 1333MHz, 750GB 5400-rpm HD, Intel HD Graphics 3000 and AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5

those are the stock specs for a 17 inch macbook pro i dont really think thats under powered by any means and a mac pro desktop gets even beefier with 12 cores and up to 64 gb of ram... overkill yes underpowered no.

I will agree that the Mac OSX is not compatible with every program but you are able to install windows on a mac if you want so that kinda eliminates any compatibility issues

edit on 30-3-2011 by Phaylure because: spelling

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by WickettheRabbit

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

I am well aware of the Apple cost but to me in the long run it is worth it. Its like buying a VW over a Hyundai lol

Uh yeah...you should review the reliability records for VW vs. Hyundai.

I think you've bought into the corporate shenanigans a little too much.

Take that from a VW owner. My next vehicle is going to be a Hyundai.

Edit - I did some looking for you.
www.consumerreports.org...
edi t on 30-3-2011 by WickettheRabbit because: Ah...VW

Again you dont seem to get what I was trying to say..

Some of you people on here need to take a damn chill pill....

Also I dont like anything corporate and my tattoo I love and it's all me and has personal reasons besides it being Apple's logo....

I dont like either cars, I prefer American made, FORD!

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by whenjasonattacks
Bill Gates hasn't been heavily involved in Microsoft for a few years now. He stepped down, becoming a non-executive chairman, so he could spend most of his time with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. This man is amazing for what he is doing with his foundation. Bill and Melinda are some of world's most generous philanthropists, who plan to give away 60 billion dollars.

I don't care, he created the monster

Also look into his "charities." I am not saying he doesn't give but it is still beneficial to him as well. Also he is for eugenics and well I'm not.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Phaylure

That is the Macbook Pro I shall have in May! I can't wait.

I miss my powerbooks, they were the bomb!

I sold one to get a plane ticket to see my bf...well yeah I should have kept my Apple...lol

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   

writing this on a i5 quad core, 4 gig ram ASUS running Win7 (and ubuntu on VMWare). never a problem. cost me

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I really liked the OP picture of Hillrod on the wall

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
when vista came out I switch to osx86 then bought a mac, and always still used linux on the side...
now I have a android phone, I dont used either as much anymore... chrome looks good but im afraid itll be a bigger android, it seems like owning a itouch and a ipad...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join