It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hackers still target NASA.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
NASA have come out and admitted that they are still being targeted by hackers in search of elusive information.
I'm amazed with the Gary McKinnen case still unresolved that they have let this be public knowledge and surely it will act as an ongoing challenge to some people.

www....(nolink)/nasa-fails-to-learn-from-ufo-hacker-644/

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by CrashRetrieval

Maybe NASA should be open with all their information, then they wouldn't be a target.
Unless hardware/software damage was done, I don't think they should make such a big deal about it. What do they have to hide huh?
I know there are people out there with the capabilities to get into that system without much effort, and I hope they expose whatever they can get their hands on.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by BaitingThePublic

Maybe NASA should be open with all their information, then they wouldn't be a target.
Unless hardware/software damage was done, I don't think they should make such a big deal about it. What do they have to hide huh?
I know there are people out there with the capabilities to get into that system without much effort, and I hope they expose whatever they can get their hands on.

Maybe BaitingThePublic should be open with his information, then he wouldn't be a target.
Unless hardware/software damage was done, I don't think they should make such a big deal about someone hacking into his computer. What does he have to hide huh?
I know there are people out there with the capabilities to get into his system without much effort, and I hope they expose whatever they can get their hands on.

---

You see the problem now?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by skyjohn

Well I'm sorry, I didn't know NASA touched such a nerve with you.
Don't get me wrong, i'm all against invasion of privacy. Going into any system with intentions to simply damage and corrupt everything is just plain stupid and pointless.
But if I had a massive telescope & the power to see the stars and beyond, I'd be open with every single bit of information I had, and would let the public see for themselves. Seems that with the measures they took with that Gary McKinnon guy, they had something to hide.
Just MHO..... why the hostility?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by BaitingThePublic

NASA is open with all their information, yet there's always going to be someone who thinks they're hiding little green men somewhere.

Cyber-attackers who hack into the network could use computers to exploit other weaknesses and ‘severely degrade or cripple NASA's operations’, the report said.

Daily Mail

What are you expecting to find that's worth screwing up an expensive space operation?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   

reply to post by skyjohn

Well I'm sorry, I didn't know NASA touched such a nerve with you.
Don't get me wrong, i'm all against invasion of privacy. Going into any system with intentions to simply damage and corrupt everything is just plain stupid and pointless.
But if I had a massive telescope & the power to see the stars and beyond, I'd be open with every single bit of information I had, and would let the public see for themselves. Seems that with the measures they took with that Gary McKinnon guy, they had something to hide.
Just MHO..... why the hostility?

I wasn't being hostile at all, I just repeated what you said right back at you.

If you think it sounds hostile when it's aimed at you then maybe what you said would also sound hostile to someone working for NASA.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Well I've got a feeling they've at least seen some anomalies that haven't been expressed to the public.
And that says they COULD do damage and mess up operations. Like i said, going in with the wrong intentions is not what I'm supporting here. It's possible to view files without having to sabotage everything.
I guess I'll leave it at that. I'd just like to know what's out there, as much as the officials do anyways, my bad.
Have fun with the thread

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by skyjohn

Maybe BaitingThePublic should be open with his information, then he wouldn't be a target.
Unless hardware/software damage was done, I don't think they should make such a big deal about someone hacking into his computer. What does he have to hide huh?
I know there are people out there with the capabilities to get into his system without much effort, and I hope they expose whatever they can get their hands on.

---

You see the problem now?

You are comparing a single individual to a publicly funded corporation/division of government. If you do not see the difference in why that is beyond relevant, you will not agree with me.

Humans have rights, corporations are not people. They have to answer to a board of representatives, which are usually who bankrolls the operation. Who pays NASA? We do, yet we are not the board, so we are entitled to exactly nothing according to them. We desire their information, the information we pay them to find out for us through taxes.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001

NASA is open with all their information, yet there's always going to be someone who thinks they're hiding little green men somewhere.

Cyber-attackers who hack into the network could use computers to exploit other weaknesses and ‘severely degrade or cripple NASA's operations’, the report said.

Daily Mail

What are you expecting to find that's worth screwing up an expensive space operation?

This post was priceless. Here we have a straight shooter who thinks along the MSM lines and what the government say about it. Whatta good citizen

edit on 30-3-2011 by Telos because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Telos

This post was priceless. Here we have a straight shooter who thinks along the MSM lines and what the government say about it. Whatta good citizen

As I tax payer I own those computers! I don't want some punk kid breaking them because he refuses to believe there are no little green men on the Moon!

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
If NASA can't do any better than upload an cropped black and white 95kb image of Mercury, you will expect hackers.

I doubt NASA would store anything accessible, but NASA sends a message that it's not open source even if the taxpayers pay for it.

Expect it, don't whine about it.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by star in a jar
If NASA can't do any better than upload an cropped black and white 95kb image of Mercury, you will expect hackers.

Would you like to bet they can't do any better? Perhaps it's because it's been one day since the announcement?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
reply to post by Telos

As I tax payer I own those computers! I don't want some punk kid breaking them because he refuses to believe there are no little green men on the Moon!

I see. I hope this punk "kid" is not someone like McKinnon. I can tell that with you as a tax payer, the system is so proud. American $ have really found a proper way to be used.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I think they should lay off the NASA hacking as it could potentialy get dangerous depending on who is doing it. There is probably info on government/army satellites that should not be public knowledge. And besides what "smoking gun" have any of these guys that hack NASA produced?

top topics

join