Our goal/purpose in life

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Is our purpose or goal in life very simple, very complicated, somewhere in the middle or is there no goal at all?

My teenage son and I were talking recently about spirituality, the meaning of life, ect... After, I asked him the above question. His reply was: " For man, it is very complicated. However, if we could talk to animals, we'd find that for them, it is very simple." I found his answer very interesting.

Other opinions?

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 02:31 PM
link   
The way I see it, the entire civilisation has become far too complicated fror any one man or any one society to even begin to think about our purpose. People no longer want a "Humanity" purpose, they want an individual purpose, which is all so often a material purpose, like "To own my own house and have lots of money by the age of 50".

Obviously, this isn't humanitys purpose, but to most it is THEIR purpose. I agree that if animals could talk they probably would have a better view, but humans are no longer interested in a purpose. Sadly, most of now just want whats best for us, rather than whats best in the long run. So people don't want or need a purpose, they just need their money.

Sad but true. Personally, I think our purpose is to love each other, make each other happy and loojk after the world. Unfortunately, the right wing/majority see this as communism/hippy/eco warrior bull#, and prefer to dwell on monetary issues.

In short, the meaning of life, for most, is now money, but if you ask me, it's love

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 02:35 PM
link   
The meaning of life? IMHO it is actually quite simple. The only way to get to the Truth of anything is to strip away all personal morals, values, judgements, prejudices...all individual perceptions to find the Truth of a thing because that thing does exist outside of you. The Absolute Truth of a thing is that thing's existence without your or my perceptional viewpoints to corrupt its purity.

The meaning of life is to live. Plain and simple. The purpose of being born is to live and the consequence of living is to eventually die as all structures eventually decay at a molecular level.

Now if you are speaking of an individual purpose for your specific life, there is none. Life can be or not be filled with what you want it to be. Your life is yours to live and live as you see fit. The only Truth is that by definition a life is to be lived.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   
we are not sent here with some incubating "purpose" which it becomes our life's job to accomplish. no, WE decide what we will be and do in our lives.... and what we call "GOD" merely supports all that.

if you let religion wiggle it's way into your mind you will doubt and ultimately abhor yourself, and look to the dictates of religion to tell you what is so.

we've given religion ENOUGH reign over our minds on this planet, do we like the results?

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by godservant
My teenage son and I were talking recently about spirituality, the meaning of life, ect... After, I asked him the above question. His reply was: " For man, it is very complicated. However, if we could talk to animals, we'd find that for them, it is very simple." I found his answer very interesting.

That's a pretty insightful comment - no doubt if animals could speak their answer would be survival....I think for humans it is much the same response, but given that we survive based off of what we make from our cultures and what it also has given us in return, our answers will vary greatly.

For me - I see the purpose, or meaning of life to be a mix of enjoyment, responsibility, production and love.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 02:43 PM
link   
removed--

[edit on 23-7-2004 by rwsdakota]

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 02:47 PM
link   
there is no purpose that you have sepcifically. you are not born with a singular purpose job or goal. the "purpose" of us being here is whatever we want that purpose to be.

some feel their purpose is to help others and they do this. others have a different idea of what their purpose is. for example if a person feels it is their purpose to be as annoying as possible than obviously thats their purpose, but its the purpose they give themselves. it doesnt come from a higher power IMO since we are free to choose our purpose(s) in our life.

much like an opinion there is no right or wrong purpose, they are what they are.

there is no universal purpose or meaning to life. i have often wondered if maybe there is a purpose above the one we give ourselves but i dont think we'll ever find out in our lifetimes. i think if there we'll find out after we're gone. i dont know what my "purpose" is, i have a hard time staying with one thing, maybe not having a purpose is the purpose i've chosen for myself. much like choosing not to decide is still a choice unto itself.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePrankMonkey
there is no purpose that you have sepcifically. you are not born with a singular purpose job or goal. the "purpose" of us being here is whatever we want that purpose to be.

There you go then. Your purpose is to make choices. Nearly everything you do as a human being you do through choice.
Maybe your purpose is to choose and your ultimate fate is decided on whether you have made the right choices?

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 04:41 PM
link   
If you believe in the whole reincarnation thing then the purpose of living a single life would be to learn / experience a lesson that your consciousness would keep. Just like taking classes in college. Each class could be like a lifetime here. You take each class to learn something different except that once the class has ended, once you die, you don't forget the knowledge you learn, just like you don't forget the experience / lesson you learned while living. Everyone has their own lessons to learn, thats why we are all so different in our life goals or plans. I plan to major in business while someone else goes into science, we're different on that level
If we were all living life just for survival we wouldnt do anything but get enough food for ourselves and sit on our asses.
So the purpose of life, imo, is to further our consciousness with experience.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 06:45 PM
link   
It's simple really....

To love one and another...
To learn to love one and another...
Through that all things are possible...

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 07:18 PM
link   
These posts actually break my heart. God has a purpose for each person's life, and the bible clearly supports that. I can't imagine going thru life without any hope or clue as to why I'm wandering along. I guess this is why Rick Warren's "Purpose Driven Life" book has sold a bazillion copies. People feel hopeless and purposeless, and want to fill that void. So, my answer is...each person has a different purpose. Just as parts of the body serve different purposes, we figure out what ours is, do it, and the body functions better for it.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I believe there is an underlying purpose for all of humanity, and that is to learn to love one another. I also thoroughly believe in reincarnation and that we live these lives to learn to love and to see things from different points of view.

Whether your a terrorist, a murderer, or just an average person, I believe we are all here to learn to love. Sometimes a soul just needs to live a life in a persons shoes to know what can drive them to do terrible things. That way it can have compassion and sympathy for these people instead of pure hatred. Also sometimes before a soul/person can learn to love, they must hate. Only when they reach rock bottom will they have the desire to turn themselves around and love.

This doesn't mean that all of us will have to live out a life as a murderer, a terrorist, or Hitler to learn to love and have compassion for these people. No, we just need to have a bit of common sense and understanding. As far as you know did you chose your body or your life? No. How do you know that if you would have been born in the body of a terrorist and had to live their life that you wouldn't have become just like them? How can you say you are any better then they are, when you haven't lived in their shoes? Why be racist, or ridicule someone when that someone could have just as easily have been you? Could you not have been Hitler if you were born into his shoes? You can't say for sure. Everyone lives a different life and has different experiences. Some will inevitably live a much harder life and have to deal with things that will lead them to do terrible things. It doesn't mean they should be hated. Like I said, you would probably be driven to the same actions if you grew up in their shoes.

I believe many lifetimes of reincarnation can be knocked off just by truly understanding this. Not simply saying "Ya that makes sense", but feeling and practicing it everyday. Love and forgive everyone no matter what.

Reaching enlightenment can also knock many lifetimes of reincarnation off. Enlightenment is not necessary, I believe, but for many it can speed things up. The connection one feels to everyone else when enlightment is achieved, truly boosts a persons ability to love.

I'm sure somebodies going to ask me "How can you love Bin Laden or Hitler?", so let me answer it now. I love the soul that is Bin Laden or Hitler, but I do not approve of their actions. Would I kill either if I had them in custody? No. Life is short and precious and change can come at any time to anyone. I see the potential of a good soul/person in them just as I do a newborn baby. Would I punish them? Yes, but in a way that would be the most condusive in promoting a positive change in them, even though it may not be possible.

Many people think that there is no such thing as good and evil, it is all relative. I agree with this up to a point but not entirely. There is a universal idea that I believe everyone can agree on as being evil. Everyone has something they fear. Whenever someone applies a person's fear to them intentionally the victim will consider that person evil/mean/cruel. Example: A killer may kill a person even after the victim begged and pleaded for their life. The killer may see death as a precious gift that they can give to others and think nothing bad of it. But the victim fears death, and considers the killer evil for wanting to kill them. Now then the killer of course doesn't fear death and wouldn't think anyone wanting to kill them to be evil. But lets say the killer has a incredible, paralyzing fear of spiders. If someone purposefully covered the killer in spiders, after the killer told them how much he hated them, the killer would consider that person evil. So good and evil is relative in a way but universal when said, "You don't want people to intentionally hurt you, just as they do not want you to intentionally hurt them in whatever way". Doing something to someone when they desperately ask you not to IS evil.

Love and forgiveness are the hardest things in this world to base your life around. Hatred, fear, money and power are much easier to live by. I truly believe learning to love is the universal purpose of life amongst all of the individual purposes.

....hmm kind of got carried away, hopefully that made some sense.

[edit on 23-7-2004 by dusran]

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Dusran - just wondering - what circumstances prompted you begin believing in reincarnation? What "facts" (nothing less) do you base this belief on? This will educate me on your views on your purpose.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by lovemydvr
Dusran - just wondering - what circumstances prompted you begin believing in reincarnation? What "facts" (nothing less) do you base this belief on? This will educate me on your views on your purpose.

There are no "facts" per say that have led me to this belief. I just base this belief on what I currently know and what makes more sense to me. The only way I personally could know for sure that reincarnation was true is if I died, or I had memories of my past life. Sadly neither has happened to me.
However, there are many religions that suggest reincarnation (hinduism, buddhism, etc.), there are also many believable cases where people have remembered past lives. I also have a friend who has memories of past lives and I could not imagine why he would fabricate such an idea if it were not true.

The main thing that truly makes me believe in reincarnation though and not an eternal heaven or hell is by my own ability to love. Surely as God is infinately more powerfull than I am so should his ability to love be infinitately stronger than my own. Therefore how could he sentence us to an eternal hell, based on one lifetime, when he loves us so. I couldn't do it, could you?

It would be like buying a lottery ticket for your children and then killing the children that didn't win. Why would God allow some souls to be born in horrible conditions, where even a single act of kindness is rare and punish said souls with eternal damnation when they follow suit? Surely God knows how people can be molded, especially at young ages. Why punish those who have been dealt a bad hand so severely? The only explanation for this is that:
a) reincarnation is real, therefore extemely severe punishment need not be applied. Meaning God understands human nature and loves us.
b) God thinks of us as merely just a creation. Meaning we can either worship him or else he torments us forever. It makes no difference to him as we do not really matter.
c) God does not exist.

I've experienced to much to believe that God does not exist so I will drop that. Going by the references in other religions, my friend, and case studies I have concluded that reincarnation is the most likely answer.

As for why the bible doesn't really make a reference to reincarnation I have a few theories on that also.
a) Jesus didn't think it was necessary to teach.
b) It was lost in translation
c) The church/Constantine removed it to gain more control of society.

Personally I think the answer is probably closer to A. If you think about it there is really no reason to mention reincarnation when trying to teach people how to live. And even though I did (only to futher my point) there is really no reason to mention it when explaining the purpose of life. All that needs to be known as Jesus says is "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you". That doesn't mean that since you like being shot in the kneecaps that you should go around shooting others in the kneecaps. No. What it means is that you do not want anyone to do something to you that you hate, therefore you should not do anything to them that they hate.

The majority of people are lazy and are always looking for the easiest way to do things. Being that hate is easier then love, if most people knew reincarnation was true they would in many situations just chose to hate and make up for it at another time or another lifetime.

My guess is that Jesus never came right out and said what happens to a person when they die. I assume he revealed the secret in a parable that was mistranslated as an eternal hell or heaven. What was probably meant by eternal hell was the never ending reincarnation one was to endure if they chose not to live a good life. Eternal heaven was what occurred when one broke free of the cycle of reincarnation and joined God.

Reincarnation also fits more closely with our own free will. We can assume free will was one of the greatest gifts God gave us. The decisions we make are a big part of who we are. Would God take away our free will by imprisoning us in an eternal hell based upon one lifetime? Seems highly illogical. Reincarnation fits into the gift of free will much better. Meaning we can continue to chose to hate therefore remaining in this "eternal hell" or we can chose to love and enter "heaven". God punishes those who continue to hate but only for a relatively short period of time. Much like a parent punishes their children for doing something bad, to teach them... in the end what the child does with their life is ultimately up to them. A parent just tries to lead their children in the right direction. Free will is one of the greatest gifts God gave us. I cannot see him removing this gift from us for all eternity, it shows a huge lack of love.

[edit on 23-7-2004 by dusran]

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Dusran,
I don't hear many people speak, with your obvious knowledge of divine wisdom. Glad to see another soul on the path. I would be interested in exchanging notes sometime. If you are interested, feel free to U2U me.

My take on all of this is that our purpose in life is to learn to love as well. I think the first step in that process though, is to care in general. The inner battle within each of us, is over our level of caring. I know that with myself, the more negative things that happened to me in life, the less I cared about the outside world, and the more it became a fight of flight situation. If you choose flight, then it usually leads to depression. Depression, is caused by not being able to accept the world the way it is. You see how it could be, and wish it were that way. Because of the fact that it isn't, and you feel helpless in trying to change it. You end up feeling stuck or trapped in your own personal Hell.

If you choose fight, then you have allowed that negative energy to consume you, and you have transformed to neagtive yourself. As Creed says "what consumes your thoughts, controls your life". Life is about freewill as well. That means that you shouldn't allow outside influences to effect you. If you do, then who has control over you? You, or the outside influences that are impacting you neagtively? For every action, is a reaction. So if someone does something negative to you, it tends to make you react negatively. So it's about self control as well. I have a saying I try to live by, and that's to become pure positive energy. I myself am striving to have a positive influence in this world. Like many others I have a hard time accepting the world the way it is. So I have a deep desire to try to change it for the better. Not just for myself, but for my daughter, or her children etc.. The only way I can have a positive influence, is if I am positive myself. So it's about having and maintaining a positive attitude, and not letting outside influences change it or have a negative effect on it. So it is kind of simple, but in practice it can be very difficult.

So to me spiritually speaking, it is about becoming, and maintaining the pure positive energy. It is a daily battle, and I think it represents the spiritual battle described in the Bible. The battle is over our souls, and it goes on every day. If you become positive, then you are closer in relativity to God in the spiritual world. The more negative you are, the further you are away from him in death. I also agree with re-incarnation. I actually believe that when we are in the spirit world, we choose who we are going to be, and what we are going to do in this life. This is all encoded in our DNA. That is why you like Strawberries, or hate Beef ect.. Everyone is different, and there is a reason we are that way. We all have our own destiny to fulfill, we are either sucessful, or we aren't. If we aren't then we come back to try again.

What launched me to where I am, were two experiences. One was a severe car accident, and the other was tripping on mushrooms. (I consider myself, a self taught shaman.) Durring my trip, I encountered the Universal Mind. I believe the Universal Mind to be a part of God, and evidence of his exitstence. While in the spirit world, I realized all of the limitations of the spirit world. Imagine being asleep, that's about what it is like. You can think about anything, learn anything, ect., but you can't act anything out, like you can in the physical. So I am convinced that you continue to live after death, just in a different form of energy. Science even proves this point. Energy is never truely destroyed, it is just transformed into another form of energy. What you have inside your mind, is what you have in death. You only know what you know. On the other hand, you are able to learn from other peoples experiences. I remember seeing someone on my trip, that my feeling about them was "what are they doing here". If I remember this correctly, they had commited murder or something just as extreem. I went over to the person, and I saw their life like a short documentry. I was then able to understand, that this person hadn't intended to klll the people. He truelly thought he was doing it in self defence, because he thought the person, or persons he killed were trying to kill him. When we are judged, I am convinced it is on your intent, and not the actual act itself.

So to me life is a test. My belief is that after God created man, and some of the angels rebelled, that God needed to spiritually cleanse Heaven. I think God is constantly growing, and evolving to become more pure himself. That's why he cast the angels that rebelled out of Heaven. Life is a test to see your true spirit. Life is our chance in the physical to prove our loyalties, or display our true spirit for all to see. Before we come to the physical, we exist in the spirtual. The problem became, how did God know where our loyalties really lie? Do you think he would have let the angels that rebelled in Heaven to stay all of that time, if he knew their intentions all along? The problem with the spirit side, IS that it is all just thoughts/feelings. Just because someone feels a certain way about something, doesn't mean they would actually do a negative act, if given the opportunity. So in my mind, the physical was required so that you are given the opportunity to act it out. It's like a suicide bomber planning to go on a mission. He can think about it, plan for it etc.. But all of that, is a far cry from actually doing the act. There is a such thing as suicide bombers that refuse to carry out the mission, once push actually comes to shove.

So you can't really be judged for just thinking about doing it. You can only be judged for it, if you actually do the act. This is why I have a very hard time with the US's pre-emptive strike policy. It in my mind is playing God. We are taking away freewill, which God himself granted. The right to think and feel as we wish. It is entirely possible in my mind, for the anti-Christ to turncoat on Satan when and if he comes to Earth. Just as it is possible for a world leader to change theirs in mid stream. It's all about being able to see the error in their ways. That can happen at any time, up and to the point of the act being commited. We all have freewill, and freedom of thought expression ect.. As has been stated before, the bottom line as refered to by Christ himself was the Golden Rule. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. My one rule that I live by is: I can do anything I want, as long as it doesn't have a negative impact on another soul. Wheither it be physically, mentally, or spiritually. Outside of that, I can do as I choose, and I will pay the consequences for my actions.

Lastly, I think there is a purpose for the dream world as well. Just as the physical is required so that we can act out our thoughts. The dream world is required, to see what you would do, if no one knew, or could testify against your actions. In the physical, God knows you may not do the action, because you are afarid of the consequences if you were to actually carry it out. The dream world frees us of those concerns. You can do whatever you want, and not have to worry about the reprocussions. So it mirrors the spirit world. The physical is required to know what you would do, if you could actually affect the physical. The dream world is required to see what you would do if their were no moral authority affecting your decisions. These combined show God our true self. Which is what determines, where we fall in proximity to God and his spirit in "death". So what is the motivating factor to evolve and become pure positive energy? To create a better world for you, your family, friends, and future generations. So in essence it is about the death of ego. Not doing things for yourself, and your own personal gains. It is about what choices will you make no matter what the persoanl costs. If you are faced with being homeless, will you stop caring about society and steal etc.. It is stated in the Bible that life isn't easy, and that there will be many trials and tribulations. The trials and tribulations are to see if we will stop caring, or become anti-christ. The rewards are in the next life, not in this one. At least not until everyone is able to know and understand the truth about life and our existance through enlightenment. If that ever happens, then as Jimi Hendrix says. We will have true peace here on Earth, or Heaven.

Just my opinion on the matter,
Tom Sawyer

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Survival and progress of the species.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Our one and Only Purpose: Species Survival

The main purpose of a human in life is to simply pass the genetic seed with another purpose of good genetics (smart, attractive, atheletic, skillful etc) and help keep the human race alive. It's a survival instinct in all animals, and asmuch as we would like to believe we are above animals, we follow the same purpose: Survival of the Species.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 12:45 PM
link   
This is my view,

We come to earth because we choose too, our goal is to experience life and to learn and grow spiritualy from it, yes some people come to this earth to experience harships and sufering but this people spiritualy are more advance than other to be able to live like that.

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by WolfofWar
Our one and Only Purpose: Species Survival
The main purpose of a human in life is to simply pass the genetic seed with another purpose of good genetics (smart, attractive, atheletic, skillful etc) and help keep the human race alive. It's a survival instinct in all animals, and asmuch as we would like to believe we are above animals, we follow the same purpose: Survival of the Species.

That's so silly when people dehumanize us that way. Guess what? I've got MAYBE 70-80 years TOPS left on this earth. Why would I care what happens after that? I'll be long gone. If I have children, it won't simply be because I want to 'procreate and help the species survive.' It may sound cold, but I couldn't care less what happens in this world when I'm through with it. 300 years down the road, when walruses begin to take over the earth and systematically kill of every human being, do you think I will care? Nope. So don't make our life purpose to be as simple as 'species survival.' As long as my species survives long enough to let me live my life to its end, I'm good to go. I couldn't care less about the long term survival of the human race, because I'm not gonna be a part of it. Good luck against those walruses though!

As for our real purpose. Of course no one knows for sure. I think it's just to see how we react to stuff. I believe there is a God, one God, and he puts things in place to see how we will react. I believe that he is probably the stimulus behind all religions, even though many contradict each other, just to see how we will respond. I think our real purpose is to live fulfilling lives, and the definition of fulfilling varies for each person, and that we are to be accepting of everyone. We're all here for a reason, yet no one knows that reason, so who are we to judge? We're here to experience life, from the things that make life the greatest gift in the world, to the things that make you just wish your life was over.

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   
The purpose, meaning, goal of each individual life is to know God. To grow in the grace and knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ. This will mean salvation and a changing of your spirit which changes your body and soul to be like Christ. God will use you to display this truth to others. You will also be given an eternity that will be truly fulfilling.

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join