It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking for a Car, Suggestions Welcome

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Hi,

Could you suggest what kind/make/etc of car would be good for an inexperienced driver, mainly in the city?

Thanks!

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by investigative

For city driving i would suggest an automatic firstly. Less working the gears, clutch etc.

Secondly, since you did not mention a budget, it is a bit tough.

I am a firm believer in BMW. Good reliability, and a very good ride. You can pick up older models for a fair price though, just make sure it has a full service record.

If you looking for somthing smaller, a Honda is a good choice. Most Japanese, and Asian cars are rather reliable and very light on fuel too.

Give us a budget, and i can be more precise.

VVV

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   

My wife and I picked up a 2010 toyota Yaris Hatchback. Great little beginner car, plenty of storage space with the hatchback. It's incredibly good on gas, and if you are talking strict city driving, fantastic on gas. It's not for everyone, but ignore the recent mishap with a few Toyota models, they make great cars that, if cared for, last quite a long time.

Can't speak on any other makes or models, we only have the Yaris.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I looked at your suggestions and I think there are some good ones there
Thanks for helping!

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
As you are a new and inexperienced driver, I would recommend either a Honda Civic, a Toyota Corolla or a Toyota Yaris. Get the Yaris only if you have no children and do ot plan any in the near future. It is very small, not mini-cooper small but still very small none the less. A 2-3 year old Corolla or Civic would be my first choice in your situation.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

As a former employee of Toyota, I can honestly say nothing bad about the Toyota Yaris. I've never seen one once in the shop for major work, you get a good solid 35-40 mpg, and quite roomy. the 1.5 liter engine, although small, has enough power for any need. I have the smae powerplant in my scion xb and it's a great engine.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
interesting.

Is there a fundamental shift in America to smaller cars ?

I was led to believe you all drive massive gas guzzling monsters.

For the OP, the Yaris is a good car to own or even a Kia Rio.
Big enough to be useful but small enough and cheap enough to own.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   

when you sa inexperienced, well that changes some things... I guess kia... Was going to say an STi, but that may be too much.. I would goto autotrader.com or some other site and compare what would be useful for ya. For example, gas mileage, cost, safety..

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Just get yourself something that is small, automatic and economical to run

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Myendica

While Kia has improved in quality, they cannot match Toyota or Corolla for reliability.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Highly recommend any Subaru. Extremely versatile and utilitarian. Top 3 reliability rating along with Honda and Toyota. Longer wheel base than Civic/Corolla which make for a bit more comfortable ride, yet still fuel savvy.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by TomServo

I agree with that, Subarus are kind of "sleepers" in the car world. Often overlooked, but very high quality.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I also have to go with Toyota's. The one I had and others I have seen are very reliable and long lasting. Subaru's are good too. Hate to say it but a lot of American cars can be junk.

Deebo

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Oldsmobile.

I have a '96 Delta 88 that my wife uses now that has 238,000 miles on it and it still runs like a champ. It's an automatic and easy to control. If you're on a budget I'd look into that one. It does well in the city as far as gas mileage is concerned.

The transmissions and engines on that model are superior to anything else I've ever owned and if you keep them maintained like you should, they'll last forever.

Last month I was feeling frisky when I was coming home on the highway from a town about 7 miles from where I live, almost no traffic at that time of day, so I punched it to see if it still "had it". Got 'er up to 100 mph. with no shiimy's, shakes, or funny noises. She's still tight.

Not bad for a 15 year old car with a quarter million miles on it.

edit on 30-3-2011 by Taupin Desciple because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I am not sure but Toyota , VW ,and Honda are good cars ...The model does matter as far as the year goes and there is repairs ...I like the vw golf or jeta as second parts can save a bundle and they like some of the Toyota's are mechanic friendly ...if its new then you will have warranty and a dealer to deal with ..if its older then talk to your mechanic as he may have a liking to certain models and that can mean allot .....peace

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   

I have only had my drivers license since 2003 and
I am 56.
I had a bad car accident in 2006,not my fault.I was
driving a 2003 toyota matrix.I loved that car and it was
great for a beginner driver.BUT...
Being, a snubbed-nosed car,when I hit the ford explorer,
the front end of my car was nearly sheared off.Another
12 inches and my engine might have been on my lap.
The airbag worked and when I came to a stop,I was Ok.
Out of instinct,I turned the ignition key off,I wondered
why the dash lights were still on.I got out of my car and
saw the explorer was upside down,with it's wheels in the
air.
Then,I saw the other driver and I started yelling at him for
running the red light.Then he tried lying his way out of it.
Fortunately,I had a witness,the driver behind his car.
I won my case and now have my volvo.
I would look into getting a car that has a full chasis,like a
mercury,or crown victoria.A pre-ford volvo would be nice.
I had a woman back her van into my volvo.My car only
sustained cosmetic damage,she really messed up her
backend and tail lights,when she hit my car.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I would purchase a mid size vehicle that will give you some accident protection. Should be used and in good shape to save you a few bucks. A buick century about 2005 with 80k miles for about 5k. You can go on MSN autos and look at the used cars.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Japanese car parts would now become difficult to import right now......true?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by SPYvsSPY

My husband has a buick regal and it's a nice car.
It is 11 years old and still runs great.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join