It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radioactive iodine 3,355 times legal limit found in seawater near nuclear plant

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Radioactive iodine 3,355 times legal limit found in seawater near nuclear plant

Radioactive iodine-131 at a concentration of 3,355 times the maximum allowable level under the law was detected in a seawater sample taken Tuesday afternoon near the crisis-hit Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, the government’s nuclear agency said Wednesday.

The highest concentration observed so far in seawater from the troubled power station suggests radiation originating from reactor cores, where fuel rods have partially melted, may have been continuously leaking into the Pacific Ocean.

Hidehiko Nishiyama, a spokesman for the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency, said the exact cause of the high iodine concentration remains unknown but that data taken by the plant operator Tokyo Electric Power Co (TEPCO) indicate radiation that has leaked at the site during the ongoing crisis ‘‘somehow’’ flowed into the sea.

Each new hour seems to bring additional bad news...

When reading this article, I really bristled at this paragraph:

He reiterated that the polluted seawater will not pose immediate health risks because fishing would not be conducted in the evacuation-designated area within 20 kilometers of the plant and radiation-emitting substances would be ‘‘significantly diluted’’ by the time they are consumed by marine species and then by people.

Really?

Do you believe him?

I'm not so sure.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Notice the phrase "immediate health risks" he said nothing about long term health risks. So drink up and eat the fish you won't die right away. In a few months though of doing that you will have health problems.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Jee bus where in the ehck did everyone think the water they have been pumping steadily for days has been going?
It hasnt made a lake, i guess its been draining ito the ocean from whence it came hay?

Holy crispy critters lone ranger....There has to be somebody awake over there.....surely any cooling they do with water will also make super heated steam which carries the radiation aloft as well....
There are those who say its callous to be concerned when the brave Japanese are shouldering their buden onward with no protest.But i say it them whose being fried first!We are secondary....this has gotta be stopped by whatever means nessessary.
There are tunnels which run under the plants...its obvious that one or more has breached to the sea and the contaminated run off is directly going into the pacific ocean.
There is no opther answrer to the quantities of water they have pumped over the last days.
It must have been going back to the oceanright from the first losses of tank water in the ponds!just to keep trying to stay ahead of the leaks is folly...
Maybe they should just evacuate and H bomb the place with big bertha the ruskies have one....it may be less radiactive in the long run to do so,,,,but then who am i?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Well at least the Whales & Tuna will catch a break

No wait a minute...

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

maybe they will pay people off like bp so they dont sue them down the road

I wonder what will be said about this event and general use of nuclear energy 50 years from now

new topics

top topics

join