It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet Elenin size, distance and scale explained.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

Is this comet not coming in on a 30 degree angle? if it was would that make it harder to have an effect on other planets if it was a brown dwarf? Not believing it is anything else but the question needed to be asked

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by vkturbo

Is this comet not coming in on a 30 degree angle?

Relative to what? It has a very low inclination, so if that's what you mean, then the answer is no.

if it was would that make it harder to have an effect on other planets if it was a brown dwarf?

Nope. It would still have just as much of an effect.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

Yeah ok cool just a thought at a long night shift and thinking about it yeah it would wouldn't it

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Glad someone put up an explanation on the size and distance on here, so many daft stories going about, about it being a friggin brown dwarf with its OWN solar system and what not-.

Excellent thread OP

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by bicnarok
Glad someone put up an explanation on the size and distance on here, so many daft stories going about, about it being a friggin brown dwarf with its OWN solar system and what not-.

Excellent thread OP

"about it being a friggin brown dwarf with its OWN solar system and what not-."
unquote
No,,, that would be ,,, G1.9+0.3

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

G1.9+0.3 is a supernova remnant. In fact it is the youngest supernova remnant we have found. Furthermore, it is many lightyears away. I fail to see why people keep calling this a brown dwarf.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254

G1.9+0.3 is a supernova remnant. In fact it is the youngest supernova remnant we have found. Furthermore, it is many lightyears away. I fail to see why people keep calling this a brown dwarf.

I know exactly how u feel ,,here this helped me,,,maybe others as well,,,it is getting rediculoius.

It's what astronomers call a "brown dwarf star" and its official name is "G1.9+0.3".

Brown Dwarfs - down to 0.085M
The number of Brown Dwarfs stars ,,(down to 0.085M)
increases dramatically as you go to stars of lower mass.
Does this trend continue as one goes below the cutoff for
the ignition of nuclear reactions?
If so,,, failed stars,,, called,,, Brown Dwarfs,,, might account for a significant fraction of the Dark Matter. Brown Dwarfs are hard to spot since they are cool and very low in luminosity. Recent infrared studies are finding Brown Dwarfs, but not in sufficient numbers to make up the dark matter needed in the Milky Way.

Fast Facts for G1.9+0.3:Supernova Remnant

Source Credit:
X-ray (NASA/CXC/NCSU/S.Reynolds et al.);
Radio (NSF/NRAO/VLA/Cambridge/D.Green et al.); Infrared (2MASS/UMass/IPAC-Caltech/NASA/NSF/CfA/E.Bressert)
Scale Left panel is 5 arcmin across.
Category Supernovas & Supernova Remnants

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   

It is absolutely impossible for G1.9+0.3 to be a brown dwarf. For one, it has a radius of over 1.3 LY. The largest known star in the universe only has a radius of about 9 AU. This is far from a light year. Aside from it being physically impossible for any star to be that large, let alone a brown dwarf, we would have also seen light from it before 150 years ago. Even our Sun would be visible out to 3 billion LY, so a star many times larger than the largest star we know in the universe would easily be visible 25,000 LY away.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

"we would have also seen light from it before 150 years ago"
your right

here

About a hundred and forty years ago, the light from a supernova explosion in our galaxy reached the Earth, but no one saw it. That's because, as this infrared version shows, the center of the Milky Way contains thick bands of gas and dust, making it impossible for astronomers to detect this explosion using optical telescopes. However, the debris field created by the supernova shines brightly in x-ray and radio wavelengths. A combination of data from NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory in space and the Very Large Array of radio dishes in New Mexico allowed astronomers to identify this object and nail down its age. The discovery of this supernova remnant helps astronomers better understand how often these stellar time-bombs go off in our galaxy.
[Runtime: 0.46]

watch the movie

chandra.harvard.edu...
edit on 26-7-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by roughycannon

Great post! Love the amount of info. I did a little research myself and this is what I made. Might be useful...

imageshack.us...

Thoughts?
edit on 15-8-2011 by ArcIo because: Fixed link

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ArcIo

Can you explain that that image is supposed to represent? It appears to me to be nothing more than a list of fake alignment issues that have been dumped on the internet.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
A good perspective on the scales and distances.

Elenin is indeed small, but i have heard reports that it electromagnetic field is vast- something to do with gathering a huge amount of charge over the thousands of years it has been out there. It will then dump it's negative charge as it draws closer to the sun, which may affect earth?

Now, i don't know how true this is. I have no knowledge in such matters.
Can anyone clarify?

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by bargoose

If that were true the world would have been completely devastated by Comet West in 1976. Elenin has an aphelion distance of 1037 AU. Comet West on the other hand has an aphelion distance of 70,000 AU. So, if these comets are somehow building up electricity on their way into the inner solar system then Comet West should have been causing earthquakes that split the Earth in two.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by bargoose

This is another claim from the Electric Universe folks. It's a theory that has been shown to be false a long time ago.

There is no evidence that there is a lot of charge in the solar system as claimed by the EU folks. Our probes have not run into that.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   

The list just represents what people on the internet are claiming to be alignments, what I could pull from JPL and from USGS sites. I'm not a vetren in this field so this was me trying to take a look at the information objectively and finding out if there was something to worry about.

What I found from doing this is that there is very little to be concerned about as there are many thousands of earthquakes that happen every year so the fact that there are alignments on days of quakes is a given. I'm not out there trying to fear monger like some are suggesting. For me, I am a visual person and this helped me figure out that there isn't that much to worry about. If that helps other feel better about these claims, then fine. If people figure out that they need to head to the hills, I don't think that this little graphic will do much to sway them either way.

I will say this, I know nothing, I'm just taking info I see on the net and seeing if there is something to it. If there is fine, if not, fine.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ArcIo

I ran a simulation a while back to see what was the probability that a large quake M7 could be picked at random. It turns out that there is a better than 50% chance of picking a day within 7 days of such a quake simply by picking a day at random. With M6 quakes it drops to about 2 days.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ca85b81d8a6e.png[/atsimg]

In this plot we have a horizontal axis that is the number of days difference between the picked date and a quake. The vertical axis is probability.

Let's take an example. Suppose we wanted to know the probability of picking a random date within 5 days of a M7 quake. Go over to 5 on the horizontal axis and find the point on the curve. It's around .35. That means that around 1/3 of the time you will pick a random date within 5 days of a magnitude 7.

That's pretty amazing considering that there are so few M7 quakes a year.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I like the OP's explanations, however, quakes on March 11,2011, August 23rd 2011, & February 27, 2010 all line up with alignments with Elenin, is it a coincidence?

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by traderjack

The claimed alignments are fakes. For example, the alignment was not on March 11; it was March 16.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Glad to see another level headed post regarding Elenin. A lot of people have trouble wrapping their heads around astronomical distances, and your visuals really do the trick.

Good job.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
People these days
. Listen, no one will know the "exact date", it is an ongoing process, it is not something that just "happens" on a "specific date". There is a window of opportunity between Sept. 29th - Nov. 22 (Earth moving through Elenin's dust trail), because I do believe Elenin actually exists. The reason most people discredit its possibility of existence is because of its lack of appearance, but apparently the combination of being super-cold and containment within a massive gravity well provides the dwarf star with a cloak of invisibility, because the star absorbs light and the gravity well creates a phenomena called Gravitational Lensing, which has shrouded the star's visibility altogether. These celestial bodies are so cold that they aren’t correctly detected on telescopes. This kind of phenomenon happens with dwarf stars.

The whole solar system is heating up, the Sun is becoming active and earth change events are becoming more frequent with greater intensity. Many fail to realize that while the 9.0 Japan Quake shifted Earth axis 4 inches at the Elenin alignment, the water tables reportedly rose in Florida like with the 8.8 Chile Quake that shifted Earth axis last year. March 11, 2011 is the same time that Texas aquifers fluctuated with the 9.0 Japan Quake, which now seems more likely to be caused by the Sun/Earth/Elenin alignment than an earthquake halfway around the world. In fact, earth change events appear to be escalating (like earth wobble) with the approach of the Elenin object

FEMA is buying billions in food for the Elite and prepping without you right now as we speak

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join