It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet Elenin size, distance and scale explained.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by NyxOne

That's hilarious!

I went to the IMDB to check out this movie. www.imdb.com...
Here is the synopsis for the movie:

Two sisters find their relationship challenged as a nearby planet threatens to collide into the Earth.

Does that sound like a bad movie or what?

It just might be a bad write up. I remember when the movie Predator was described as:
"The future governor of California and Minnesota go for a stroll in the rain forest."

The movie Melancholia has a small listed cast. One person is named Claire. There was a B-52s song called Planet Claire.

OMG! The B-52s were aliens in disguise! It's all so obvious now.

Another character is named John. That's a biblical name isn't it? There is a role for Jack. OMG! Giants must be real. ...

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by aliadams

Here is the same spammed post in yet another thread where you are plugging your website. Are you doing the same all over the internet?

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Meant to post this sometime earlier.
Some good stuff to consider. He's doing an interesting study with some interesting research.
Enjoy.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Debunker75

Junk video.

Same one, posted time and again already, on ATS.

The video maker is full of it. It is utter nonsense.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

lol Thank you, that sounds like a good description of many of the posts in this thread. Apparently until the comet/planet/whatever you'd like to consider it either comes by and passes, doing nothing, or comes by and kills preferably only those that thought it wouldn't do anything, there's not much to say about it, yeah?

Junk thread. Same topic, posted time and again already, on ATS.

Many that worry about elenin are crazy (speaking of the fervor with which they freak out over it) and many against the idea of elenin doing anything are... well, just as full of themselves. Some are in the middle, knowing that fighting over a topic such as this is indeed... utter nonsense.

There's only so much info about this out, whether you're personally viewing it or relying on other sources. You know what whatever anyone else knows (edit: except for maybe the 'elite,' for those into that idea). It's honestly not even enough info to fight over. Those thinking it'll do something, I hope you prepare. I hope you don't waste your time trying to convince those so sure about their opinions and intelligence. Those thinking it's not going to do anything... good riddance if it does, I guess? Or at the very least, more power to you and your amazing brain power.
Have wonderful lives either way.

I liked the video, though, so I shared it. I rarely come on ATS, so I don't know where it is on here, but I read through the thread to at least make sure it wasn't in here. Sorry if you've seen it already.

Goodnight, all.
edit on 5/26/2011 by Debunker75 because: I like adding smilies.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Debunker75

Some are in the middle, knowing that fighting over a topic such as this is indeed... utter nonsense.

Your claim here is that nothing can be known until after it happens. That simply isn't true. Take Elenin. It is a small object. It will not come particularly close to the Earth. Having observed many comets and several this year even astronomers know with great certainty that the effects of the comet on the Earth are small to nonexistent. To argue that understanding the effects of the comet is not known is just arguing that you do not know. Just because you do not understand these things does not mean that others do not.

It's honestly not even enough info to fight over.

This continues to show that you have limited information about the comet and even go on to claim something vague about the 'elite'. There are plenty of these 'elite'. They are people with a bit more interest in the cosmos than you and are called amateur astronomers. From their backyards all across the globe they can see that this object is taking the orbit predicted by professional astronomers. They know that this comet is not coming close to the Earth and will have a marginal effect on the planet. Outside of maybe a few meteors it has no measurable effect.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Don't have time for this...
edit on 26-5-2011 by Gab1159 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Gab1159

Not again.......

You've been proven wrong, often....wasn't it in this thread? Or, in another.....??

These alignments did occur..

Total fantasy. And, the way you "arrived" at this fantastical conclusion, is not scientific, and wholly inaccurate to boot.

IN any case....it is beyond ludicrous to believe in planetary "alignments" and consequences on Earth. It has as much basis in reality as does astrology....and how the planets were "arranged" in the skies, when you were born.

It is all hogwash.....(of course, if you *believe* in astrology, then......well, little wonder you subscribe to this silliness.....)......

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by roughycannon

Originally posted by tooo many pills
reply to post by roughycannon

A 4km comet would still wipeout 90% of civilization.

So what does that have to do with the fact its not coming near us?

And BTW a 4km comet would do some damage but it wouldn't wipe out 90% of the population you lunatic.

I wouldn't exactly say he is a lunatic, a 4 km comet could do extreme amounts of damage. A crater in the neighborhood of 400 kilometers, a firestorm radius of approximately 4000 kilometers, day would become night for likely months, photosynthesis would likely stop for several months, most of the ozone layer would be obliterated. Humanity would definitely survive and its doubtful that 90% of us would perish, but the damage done would be immense and the global human population would be greatly reduced, to say nothing about other species.

Check out this page that tells what would happen in environmental damage for several different sizes of comets: users.tpg.com.au...
edit on 27-5-2011 by bronco73 because: corrected spelling

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
That image of Elenin looks like a spaceship.

Just pointing out the obvious

edit on 27-5-2011 by Smell The Roses because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by bronco73

A crater in the neighborhood of 400 kilometers, a firestorm radius of approximately 4000 kilometers

You misread the table. A 5km comet has a 100km crater, not a 400km crater. The size difference is a crater 1/16 the area.

Thanks for the link.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Making light of this subject and talking as if this whole matter is some hoax is indeed an unneeded distraction from the potential truth. Well,the truth is going to alarm many when the truth is seen with your own eyes and many will finally conclude that we have been lied to all along. Of course at such a time, saying you were told so is not going to matter or change what happens next.

For those that put their trust and belief in the NASA or JPL software programs as if JPL was the pillar and beacon of truth, well for those that believe such foolishness, I challenge you and anyone to begin asking just one important question. If you cannot or will not ask the question I propose, then your comments should never appear in a reply trying to undermine others who wish to discuss what is going on in space that will soon affect us all.

Ask the following question and then see if JPL is the pillar of truth that you think it is. Question: Why does the JPL program show all the planets traveling counter clockwise in the program along with Comet Elenin? I ask this simple question because if Comet Elenin is not the object we have been told it is, then the JPL program is showing the space object coming into our solar system in a incorrect orbit pattern. You should familiarize yourself with the term "retrograde" and see what that means to the matters at hand. Just look up retrograde and I will bet you will see what I am referring to.

Planet X or a brown dwarf star has been scientifically proven to be in a retrograde orbit pattern and what that means kiddies is that it will come into our solar system in the opposite direction that the planets and earth move around our sun. A brown dwarf sun would be coming into our solar system in the opposite direction and leaving in the other direction. It will not be as displayed on JPL.

The JPL program shows no such retrograde because they of course are calling it a "COMET" and not a brown dwarf star or mini constellation. Well, when it turns out not to be a comet, changing the object to a brown dwarf star will mean many new things, but the most important of all is that the obit path into our solar system is headed here in the opposite direction that the planets rotate around our sun. It will look like nothing that the JPL is currently showing and in that act of deception, those that placed their trust in JPL will eventually find that they have been lied to all along. Of course this matter can already be determined today by those that understand such matters as a retrograde orbit path. and what it means.

Being lied to in our current day and situation has become a norm, but if those so concerned don't begin dealing with the truth of matters, then all this posturing will do nothing to change the truth of what should matter today and not later in the year when we become even more convinced that we have been lied to.

Those that choose to believe what they want to believe have every right to do so, but ignoring science fact to appease some chat room mentality is exactly what will undermine the truth that so many need to know and consider before its too late. Talking truth is not fear mongering and talking dishonesty is not what is needed to understand the many possible options that we might face in the near future.

Should the comet become something bigger and more dangerous like say a brown dwarf star, then and only then will those that trusted JPL find out just how gullible they really were to believe such a program in the first place because being lied to is one thing, spreading lies to appease some sense of calm is exactly the type of mentality that our government uses on us when they claim we are not smart enough or capable of understanding the truth, so they lie to us and do what they want while claiming we are too ignorant to know any better.

Well, I for one think it's time to break free of those that hinder the truth. We must begin thinking for ourselves on matters where the truth matters more than being lied to by those that don't want to promote fear so they promote the lies and the false idea that discussing such matters is fear mongering and nothing more.

I am certain they will prefer to keep this secret as long as possible because once the truth is out of the bag, no one will want to discuss what we are discussing today and besides if they wait long enough, complete loss of electricity, Internet, cell phones and radio and TV will further assist those that lied to us from ever being in a position of accountability for their lies and deception because keeping this matter on the back burner is where this matter is going to be kept until such a matter can no longer be denied.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaxBlack
You should familiarize yourself with the term "retrograde" and see what that means to the matters at hand. Just look up retrograde and I will bet you will see what I am referring to.
Planet X or a brown dwarf star has been scientifically proven to be in a retrograde orbit pattern...

As an amateur astronomer, I'm perfectly familiar with what "retrograde" means.
Unfortunatly for you, there are TWO meanings and you've just mixed them up.

Meaning 1 - as show in the animation on the (top right) wikipedia page, shows the orbit as you seem to expect, in the opposite direction...
wiki

Meaning 2 - the actual one referred to in the case of comet Elenin, is where the object (planet, asteroid or comet) merely seems to go backwards for a while (weeks or a few months) because the earth is moving faster in its orbit than the object. But it is merely an optical illusion set against the background stars, and not actually happening in the actual orbit.
More correctly called apparent retrograde motion, this movement is described in this page...
wiki
and this is the motion that comet Elenin has been experiencing recently... but its only a temporary visual effect.

Sorry for you, but its a beginners mistake.

Edit - for show and tell, I've found a finder chart of where the comet will be seen in the sky...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d8a7aae5e2be.gif[/atsimg]

Now you see that its not a pure linear motion in one direction, but back and forward. Of course the comet really doesnt stop in its orbit and go backwards for a while, its just due to the relative motion of trying to view a moving object while standing on another moving object.
For a while, the comet has apparent retrograde motion.

Just to repeat, this isnt anything specific to comet Elenin, ALL planets and other solar system stuff does this effect from time to time.

edit on 6-6-2011 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I read somewhere that Leonid Elenin discovered this comet in Dec. 2010 remotely with a New Mexico Telescope. I read also that the comet was in the constellation LEO at the time of discovery and that this constellation was not visible in the night sky from New Mexico at that time.

Anyone able to confirm or deny this? I have seen diagrams of comet Elenin from Dec. 2010 showing it traveling through Constellation Leo, but do not know how to look up if that area of the sky was visible to North America in mid Dec. 2010. ANyone?

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I love the way you describe the comet.

Pixel Elenin.

I am still smirking about that, you made my night

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by MaxBlack

Planet X or a brown dwarf star has been scientifically proven to be in a retrograde orbit pattern and what that means kiddies is that it will come into our solar system in the opposite direction that the planets and earth move around our sun. A brown dwarf sun would be coming into our solar system in the opposite direction and leaving in the other direction. It will not be as displayed on JPL.

It is already abundantly clear that no unknown planet has an orbit that can enter the orbit of the known planets. That is well known. It is also well known that there are no planet sized objects out to and including the Kuiper belt. Whole sky surveys have not detected a brown dwarf because there is none out there orbiting our Sun.

Well, when it turns out not to be a comet, changing the object to a brown dwarf star will mean many new things, but the most important of all is that the obit path into our solar system is headed here in the opposite direction that the planets rotate around our sun.

This cannot be a brown dwarf or a planet sized object. If it were that big the object would be easily visible to the unaided eye. Mars is smaller than Earth and can be see with the unaided eye. This is a small object requiring a telescope to see it.

Should the comet become something bigger and more dangerous like say a brown dwarf star,

After all of the yadda, yadda, yadda about lies we see that you have several big mistakes.
1. Misunderstanding retrograde motion
2. Misunderstanding the enormous size of a brown dwarf
3. Misunderstanding that a large mass would affect the orbits of the known planets
4. Misunderstanding that a brown dwarf reflects light and would be brighter than Jupiter since the comet position is closer than Jupiter
5. Believing that the orbit of an unknown object is known

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by SunnyDee
the comet was in the constellation LEO at the time of discovery

A quick check of various sites shows...
- The comet was discovered on December 10th
- The sun on that day is RA 17h 8m, declination -22 54 degrees
- The position of Leo is about 11h, delclination +10 degrees
Thats roughly (looking at some maps) about 40 degrees away from the sun, which should be enough.

Doing some trials at the fourmilab site,
- the sun rises in New Mexico about 14 UTC
- leo rises at about 09 UTC, enough to be high above the horizon to do some astro observations.

So it seems ok. Leo rises in the east in the morning, and then a few hours later the sun rises.
Have a play around with the site yourself and compare...
fourmilab

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

Leo would have been above the horizon by 4AM.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Thanks for the reply. I went to your link. It shows that you put in the date 12/10/2011. Not 2010.

Can you check again with the year 2010 and tell me what you see? Looking at the sky map is just foreign to me.

Thanks.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join