It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet Elenin size, distance and scale explained.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by badgerman24
Very interesting. I am kinda thinking that it won't end all life as we know it but if it were to be off and hit earth then it could cause alot of damage! imagine 4km hitting NYC it would kill 1,000s if not more. I like the pictures that show it to scale though. Nice find.

1,000s? the figure is into the hundreds of millions.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by roughycannon

Does this change it?
That's...what, about 50,000 miles across? And getting even bigger? That's a lot to worry about :/

Source

April 8th at our observatory we carried out planned observations of Comet C/2010 X1 (Elenin). An analysis of the results of the observations shows a rapid growth of the coma. Besides the internal compact gas envelope, the forming rarified external coma is also visible in the image. It’s diameter exceeds 1 minute of arc, or 80,000 km! It is possible that such a rapid growth of the coma is associated with the apparent superposition over it of the comet’s dust tail, which after opposition, still remains invisible to the Earthly observer.

The brightness of the comet also has crossed the 16m boundary, and according to the calculations of Artem Novichonok, has reached 15.4m. Such an estimate is supported by the first visual observations of the comet by Jakub Koukal and Juan Jose Gonzalez on the 4th and 5th of April respectively. It is worth noting that another well-known visual comet observer, Alan Hale, 1995 co-discoverer of comet Hale-Bopp, was not able to find Comet Elenin on April 5th with his 41-cm reflector…

In the image at left still another event is captured – the close approach of Comet Elenin to asteroid 4336 Jasniewicz. Here the closeness of the objects, which are only 11 arc minutes apart, is not an optical illusion but a real physical closeness of two celestial bodies. At the time the image was obtained, the distance between the comet and the 6-km asteroid was just 1,495,000 km (0.01 AU), which is only 3.9 times the average distance between the Earth and Moon (LD). Closest approach of the two objects was several hours earlier; they were only 1,120,000 km apart (0.008 AU).

edit on 4/10/2011 by Debunker75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Debunker75

Does this change it?
That's...what, about 50,000 miles across? And getting even bigger? That's a lot to worry about :/

Source

April 8th at our observatory we carried out planned observations of Comet C/2010 X1 (Elenin). An analysis of the results of the observations shows a rapid growth of the coma. Besides the internal compact gas envelope, the forming rarified external coma is also visible in the image. It’s diameter exceeds 1 minute of arc, or 80,000 km! It is possible that such a rapid growth of the coma is associated with the apparent superposition over it of the comet’s dust tail, which after opposition, still remains invisible to the Earthly observer.

The brightness of the comet also has crossed the 16m boundary, and according to the calculations of Artem Novichonok, has reached 15.4m. Such an estimate is supported by the first visual observations of the comet by Jakub Koukal and Juan Jose Gonzalez on the 4th and 5th of April respectively. It is worth noting that another well-known visual comet observer, Alan Hale, 1995 co-discoverer of comet Hale-Bopp, was not able to find Comet Elenin on April 5th with his 41-cm reflector…

In the image at left still another event is captured – the close approach of Comet Elenin to asteroid 4336 Jasniewicz. Here the closeness of the objects, which are only 11 arc minutes apart, is not an optical illusion but a real physical closeness of two celestial bodies. At the time the image was obtained, the distance between the comet and the 6-km asteroid was just 1,495,000 km (0.01 AU), which is only 3.9 times the average distance between the Earth and Moon (LD). Closest approach of the two objects was several hours earlier; they were only 1,120,000 km apart (0.008 AU).

edit on 4/10/2011 by Debunker75 because: (no reason given)

Thats not the comet itself but the coma Wiki

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Chulra

You're confusing the solids with the gaseous envelope.
edit on 10-4-2011 by stereologist because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Wikipedia says it's 4km. That must be right.
People who are worried about Elenin do not think that it's a comet. They think it's a planet.

Even if it were 4km, that says nothing about it's mass. It could be 4km and still be ten times the mass of earth. Black holes are known to be very small and still have enormous mass.
Size tells you absolutely nothing about the mass. Mass causes the force of gravity, not size.
This thread is a great example of disinfo.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
People who are worried about Elenin do not think that it's a comet. They think it's a planet.

Even if it were 4km, that says nothing about it's mass. It could be 4km and still be ten times the mass of earth. Black holes are known to be very small and still have enormous mass.
Size tells you absolutely nothing about the mass. Mass causes the force of gravity, not size.

What are you talking about? lol
if you want to be taken seriously on here do a bit of basic research black holes gravity is not the same as gravity from a planet or comet... think of the heaviest material and then the comets "mass" it wont ever be heavier than that.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

Your post is a great example of disinfo. If the object in question were 10x the mass of the Earth, then we'd see that the planets would not be moving in their predicted orbits. That would have been seen years ago. That is not happening. Therefore, this object has a small mass. If this object were a black hole as you suggest, then it would not have a coma. Again, you are dispensing typical disinfo.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by roughycannon

if you want to be taken seriously on here do a bit of basic research black holes gravity is not the same as gravity from a planet or comet... think of the heaviest material and then the comets "mass" it wont ever be heavier than that.

So to be taken seriously I shouldn't say the truth? You're probably right.
Density is all that matters, it doesn't matter what the material is. Black holes are super dense objects, that's why they force of gravity they exert is so high.
You are wrong, sir. Mass is the only thing that causes the force of gravity to occur, that scientists know of. That includes black holes.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

I didn't say that it was 10x the mass of earth. I said it's possible an object 4km could be 10x the mass of the earth, it was hypothetical.
Wow you also said that I claimed it was a black hole? I clearly was using black holes as an example, not claiming elenin was a black hole.

I believe elenin has one millionth the mass of earth. That means it WILL effect the earth in relatively drastic ways.
edit on 10-4-2011 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

So to be taken seriously I shouldn't say the truth? You're probably right.
Density is all that matters, it doesn't matter what the material is. Black holes are super dense objects, that's why they force of gravity they exert is so high.
You are wrong, sir. Mass is the only thing that causes the force of gravity to occur, that scientists know of. That includes black holes.

Black holes are super dense objects, that's why they force of gravity they exert is so high

The fact you have used the word "exert" in that statement alone is a reason why you will be ignored on this thread.

I believe elenin has one millionth the mass of earth. That means it WILL effect the earth in relatively drastic ways.

One millionth? can you give an equation...

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   

NASA actually says somewhere that elenin is probably that heavy The effects wouldn't be as huge as some claim, but it would most likely cause earthquakes.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

NASA actually says somewhere that elenin is probably that heavy The effects wouldn't be as huge as some claim, but it would most likely cause earthquakes.

Brilliant.
Don't suppose you have a sauce for that ham sandwich.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

I didn't say that it was 10x the mass of earth. I said it's possible an object 4km could be 10x the mass of the earth, it was hypothetical.

Fair enough, then the hypothetical high mass mentioned is impossible since it would have caused the planets to move to positions other than the predicted positions. That would have happened years ago. It did not therefore, the hypothetical is not possible.

Wow you also said that I claimed it was a black hole? I clearly was using black holes as an example, not claiming elenin was a black hole.

Fair enough. You mentioned black and that suggestion is also impossible since the object in question is outgassing. Another possibility goes to file 13.

I believe elenin has one millionth the mass of earth. That means it WILL effect the earth in relatively drastic ways. [.quote]
That amount of mass is small. How is it going to affect the Earth? Please tell us.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

The moon barely affects earthquake activity on Earth. It is huge compared to Elenin. It is much closer than the comet will ever be.

To claim it will cause earthquakes is false.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

You made that up, NASA never said that.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Lets also clear up something I've seen mentioned a few times - that we cant trust NASA.

Answer - you dont have to.

Comets have fanboys too. Lots of amateur astronomers around the world like to observe comets and report what they've found on the internet. Anyone here fortunate enough to have a few spare dollars and a bit of open space can do the same. You dont have to trust the government on this one. Elenin is in the sky for anyone to see who wants to bother.

This page has some photos of Elenin taken by amateurs, along with estimates of brightness.
Link

heres another...
Link

heres another watcher...
Link

Lots of amateur astronomy message forums on the internet as well.

The simple fact is that if there was anything unusual about this comet - the appearance, the position, the brightness, the orbit... whatever... there are lots of people around the world who will notice.
You dont have to trust NASA.
The comet is in the sky for anyone to see.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Lets also clear up something I've seen mentioned a few times - that we cant trust NASA.

Answer - you dont have to.

Comets have fanboys too. Lots of amateur astronomers around the world like to observe comets and report what they've found on the internet. Anyone here fortunate enough to have a few spare dollars and a bit of open space can do the same. You dont have to trust the government on this one. Elenin is in the sky for anyone to see who wants to bother.

This page has some photos of Elenin taken by amateurs, along with estimates of brightness.
Link

heres another...
Link

heres another watcher...
Link

Lots of amateur astronomy message forums on the internet as well.

The simple fact is that if there was anything unusual about this comet - the appearance, the position, the brightness, the orbit... whatever... there are lots of people around the world who will notice.
You dont have to trust NASA.
The comet is in the sky for anyone to see.

I tried to give you a million stars but I got a warning from the mod's of the site...

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by cal71919
So, where did you get those figures from? I know there's alot of good people working at NASA, but I just don't believe they themselves are getting data before it's been "reviewed" and deemed suitable for civilian eyes. You have to remember , NASA is run by the military and all data would be reviewed to filter out anything that would fall under the "National Security" umbrella. I'm no expert on this and certainly don't want to come off as a conspiracy theorist. I just feel I/we the people have been lied to for decades by the military, and most of the crooks in Washington. No offense to you(OP) on you info, but I don't know you personally.

KEY WORDS : NASA IS RUN BY THE MILITARY ie Government Perps.

thats pretty much all you need to know

especially if you know anything about 9/11 and who dunnit

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by ressiv
russian astronomer was LEOnid Elenin...
hichlighted LEO =lion
comet elenin comes from lion constallation to us...
weird but sometimes things happen

except when you start adding up all the other "coincidences" like 3 major quakes occurring on unique ELENIN EARTH SUN alignments, only a fool would ignore the pattern, say no relation, and claim nothing suspect.

If nothing significant occurs between September to December 2011 related to a major quake or catastrophic earth event that at the very least equals the Japan event, then I will be the first to remind everyone that patterns mean nothing, 9nania and Sollogs predictions were probably just coincidence, and the 2012 hysteria is just that.

Until then, I will continue calling attention to their amazing prophecy/predictions/warnings due to their unique and uncanny accuracy.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   

The aim of this thread is to truly give a scale of how small and insignificant comet Elenin is, it should also give a scale of how extremely far away it is at the moment and where it will be at the end of this year.

I have being doing this for a few hours and have made some graphical images to help you understand.

So for people who don’t know... our planet Earth is approx 6,378Km in diameter Wiki and our Moon 1,738Km Wiki and comet Elenin a whopping 4Km Wiki

It is so small that it cant even be depicted as a single pixel in the above image.

So now I want to give you a scale of how big comet Elenin is, well its 4Km in diameter so lets say that each pixel is 4Km I would get the image below:

A quick calculation would say the moon should be 435 pixels (rounded by ½ a pixel) so the image is to scale. As you can see comet Elenin as a pixel (on the left) is tiny compared the moon never mind to our own planet! In fact seeing comet Elenin can only be shown as a pixel I will refer to it as “Pixel Elenin” from now on.

So how far away is Pixel Elenin? Well... very very very far I first need you to look at this image:

Do you notice anything about this image? Look closer... Pixel Elenin is nearly twice the distance away of our own sun! The sun is approx 150 million Km away from our planet and Pixel Elenin is a whopping 291 million Km away from our planet as of today that's nearly double the distance!

Now to help give you an visual idea of distance, I need you to understand the scale of the sun, lets say each pixel is 1,000Km:

So the earth is now 6 pixels, Jupiter is 71 pixels and the sun is a huge 1400 pixels, as you can see in this image the earth is around the same size as Jupiter's red spot, a storm the size of our planet? Can you imagine...

I want to get the sun in the image now to give you a scale of it compared to earth so now lets say that each pixel is 5,600Km that would make the sun 250 pixels Jupiter 12 pixels and the earth 1 pixel:

Now think of how big the sun looks on this picture and how big it looks when you see it in the sky and that will give you an idea of what 150 million Km distance is... Pixel Elenin is nearly double this distance from our planet: (291 million Km away as of today)

To think that something so small and further away than our own sun would have any effect on our planet at this point becomes laughable.

Here is the only know image (that I know of) of Elenin at the moment:

So what of the close encounter at the end of the year? Well take a look at this next image:

As you can see the date is now showing Oct 18, 2011, the problem with this graph is that it shows the earth and comet as the same size and doesn't give a true sense of scale in fact the distance between Pixel Elenin and earth on this graph is actually 34,856,344 Km, yes that's 34 million Km!

Now lets get a scale of that once again lets say the each pixel is 416Km:

This would make the earth (on the left) 15 pixels, the moon (on the right) 4 pixels and the distance between them 600 pixels, this is a true sense of scale of how far away the moon actually is from earth not like the documentaries or mock up images you see, the moon is approx 240,000 Km away.

So how does Pixel Elenin which on this date would be 34 million Km away factor in this? Well in the image above it would be 83,789 pixels along the screen if you have a screen resolution of 1280x720 you would have to have 65 monitors side by side to show how far Pixel Elenin is from the earth seen on the left of the image...

65 monitors side by side! Look at the size of the moon in the pic above and then at Pixel Elenin below:

Even if the comet has slight changes in its orbit the distances are so vast that it will still come nowhere near us, and we wont have to worry about travelling through its tail or any debris it brings with it, just look at it compared to the moon...

Most astronomers say that it wont be visible to the naked eye as it will be too dim but you might be able to see it with a telescope.

Anyway hope you like the thread, peace out!
edit on 30-3-2011 by roughycannon because: (no reason given)

I applaud the effort in your posting, but how exactly does it remotely address, debunk or negate the evidence or concern as it relates to a UNIQUE Elenin alignment thats possibly connected/related to or caused 3 major UNIQUE seismic events?

In this case, even with all your research and data, the psychic predictions of 9nania and Sollog are far more interesting and important to consider.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join