It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA probe returns first-ever orbiter photo of Mercury

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by BuzzCory
How could NASA have missed this? I was taking another look at the photo of Mercury, when my eye was caught by the area highlighted below in red:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f6cd6edb5e47.gif[/atsimg]

I enlarged the area, & enhanced it a bit, to show the rear propulsion jet of an alien space ship, sticking up from the surface after the force of its crash-landing left it partially buried!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/07d59e4edb7f.gif[/atsimg]...

You've already personally discovered that this odd object in the photo is in fact "the rear propulsion jet of an alien space ship? Did I miss something? Or did you, personally, travel there?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Yes I highly doubt that mark pointed out in the picture is an alien spacecraft. I would love to believe that though lol.

This is a great achievement, we were once monkeys with rocks now we are exploring the stars, gives me goosebumps thinking about it. I just hope this is not the last great the we will do, since we have basically destroyed our space program.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by heineken
is this the first picture of mercury?

wasnt mercury mapped before..not all of it..but a big part??

First orbital picture.
All others were taken as a flyby,SO now we get tons more photos, because we are finally orbiting.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Katerna

It looks more to me like a volcano!

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Deebo

That is a color photo, go to www.space.com... and read the caption at the bottom

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Katerna

You know, after I posted my "big discovery", I was wondering if anyone would miss the fact that it just had to be a joke. I thought if I left out the required 12 exclamation points, everyone would get it.

edit on 3/30/11 by BuzzCory because: Better joke, IMO as always...

edit on 3/30/11 by BuzzCory because: grammar this time..

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Thermo Klein

is it just me or does mercury look very much like the moon? and why is this the first ever picture? i mean we have telescoped trained on the sun so surely we could have photographed mercury long before now....

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

reply to post by Katerna

You know, after I posted my "big discovery", I was wondering if anyone would miss the fact that it just had to be a joke. I thought if I left out the required 12 exclamation points, everyone would get it.

edit on 3/30/11 by BuzzCory because: Better joke, IMO as always...

edit on 3/30/11 by BuzzCory because: grammar this time..

Hahaha. My bad. Alright then, the joke was on me. I feel much better now.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Katerna

No problem, I kinda got a kick out of it. And I love it that someone gave you a star for debunking my claim!

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Katerna

Dang! I guess I won't point out the ash like remains of the hitch hiking alien with a gas can and I think I can make out a Slurpee cup.
Cool pict though, I look forward to more.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   

reply to post by Katerna

No problem, I kinda got a kick out of it. And I love it that someone gave you a star for debunking my claim!

It was the first thing I noticed, (apart from the overall moon look) and then again when the colour pic appeared. However the marks radiating away are odd looking for impact marks, not the usual splatter, maybe a gentle kind of impact. The other picture with the smooth contours looks almost as if it is windblown and dusty, why?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by fatboyinternational

No the one you just posted is in color, but the original one posted is in black and white. Look closely, you'll see what I'm talking about

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by TupacShakur
reply to post by fatboyinternational

No the one you just posted is in color, but the original one posted is in black and white. Look closely, you'll see what I'm talking about

We were posting at the same time on the same theme. What I was getting at in Katerna's post, was that it seems to me like there is an active wind on Mercury, at least in certain areas, while not everywhere, it's weird.

Update on Katerna's pic, it didn't go unnoticed elsewhere.

photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov...
edit on 30-3-2011 by smurfy because: Link.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

I think it really speaks to the advancement of the space program to be able to send a functioning camera that close to the Sun. The photos are not what I would have expected though, I would have thought the surface of the planet would have been molten being that close to the sun.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by MountainPhoenix
reply to post by Aquarius1

I think it really speaks to the advancement of the space program to be able to send a functioning camera that close to the Sun. The photos are not what I would have expected though, I would have thought the surface of the planet would have been molten being that close to the sun.

Iron melts somewhere in the early 'teens C and Mercury is thought to be mainly consisted of iron and is around a third of that temperature in daytime, which is a long time, about three quarters of its yearly high velocilty voyage round the Sun. The spacecraft Mariner 10 took pictures in a flyby too, Messenger previously as well, but Messenger is now in an orbit around Mercury.

JPL's journal link from 2009 to date,

photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov...

edit on 30-3-2011 by smurfy because: Link.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by franspeakfree
reply to post by Deebo

Agreed, we have already seen that a bunch of amateurs can get just as good or even better photos from our earths atmosphere with a budget of less than a $100, yet NASA a muti billion dollar agency can only give us crappy black and white images (I wonder why) ? unless of course they have something to hide - There I said it!

Granted mercury is further away but ........you know where I am coming from.

What secrets??? We can't even get a pic of our own poles... secrets??? nooooo..

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deebo
Is it really that expensive to attach a color camera to this billion dollar orbiter? I have a few old camera phones I could give them for the next one they build.
Either way good post s + f

Deebo

Exactly what colours are you expecting on Mercury ?
It is a rock with pretty much zero atmosphere.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by LikeDuhObviously
Exactly what colours are you expecting on Mercury ?
It is a rock with pretty much zero atmosphere.
I wasn't expecting that much color on the moon either but the color pictures of the moon even show more color than the color photos of mercury. And yes, one of the messenger cameras can take color pictures but the other ones can't.

That close to the sun, I guess the sun can fade any colors a lot more quickly than it fades the colors on my drapes!

It's nice to finally have some good clear images of Mercury in this much detail.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by BuzzCory

This also caught my eye.

Cant wait to hear what Hoagland will say about this one.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Maybe this first image will give some of you an idea of what "oddity" you see in that original image.

Why you all are impressed by any non-smooth imperfection on the surface is beyond me.

Mercury in color.

Earth from MESSENGER

edit on 31-3-2011 by LikeDuhObviously because: (no reason given)

<< 1    3 >>

join