It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There are many survivalists out there!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Survivalism is to popular these days I see. It seems like every tom dick and harry is stocking up and building bug out shelters. Even TV has man vs wild and now HBO wants to make a show about survivalism. I think that people are very frightened and think that they need to prepare for some sort of apocalyptic event. This to me is an indication that there will be no big event in our future. The one that gets you is the hit you never see. i think this is all a fad and you are wasting your life and money.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by pellian

Yeah Survivor Man gets payed thousands of dollars to go to a place for a week when people already live there!!
Does anyone else find this ironic in anyway?

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Actually if you take a hands on course on natural survival skills you may really something that you can carry with you throughout normal life. I have found it empowering to know that I create fire in other ways, find clean water, build shelter, etc. There are so many things that we are not taught in today's modern systems of education, if I dare call it that.
The Native Americans took it to it's highest level. They learned to adapt to a variety of environments from scorching deserts to living on ice. Did they really want to live in those areas or did their early explorers accept the challenge of adapting. From this lifestyle they gained a higher understanding of life itself.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by pellian
The one that gets you is the hit you never see.

This is a good point, but if you think about it, the very large majority of this planet does not believe in the 2012 ELE scenario.

Therefore, they don't see this potential 'hit'?

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by RenegadeScholar

because there will be no hit. its a load of poppycock like the British say. So many people are squirreling away food and reading survivalist PDF's what will happen is your end. you will die at any rate. And if there was an ELE I do not want to risk my value as a person by trying to survive after the event. I would rather die in the age of convenience and comfort than live for years in a mad max or postman type of scenario..

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by pellian

Let me ask you this: How many snowboarders jump the groomed and then get lost out of bounds, sometimes for days? How many climbers get caught in a fast moving storm and have to build a snow cave or some other shelter for a few nights? How many times do you read about the day hiker that stumbled off trail and fell off a cliff and had to wait for rescue?

What happens when the rescue goes wrong? Like this: Mt. Hood crash

What about earthquakes, tornadoes, mudslides, city water contamination episodes?
What about the family that lost jobs and now have to survive on one or zero income?

Now, how many of those people would increase their chances of making it by having prepared before "the hit" with wilderness training and/or having stocked the pantry with months of food? You know, that family that lost their job? They at least have food to eat while looking for a new one.

This isn't about the next Mad Max movie... Think ahead a bit.

The next time you get drunk at a party and try stumbling home in the rain could end with you laying in a puddle with hypothermia setting in. Don't be that guy.

edit on 30-3-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by pellian
So many people are squirreling away food and reading survivalist PDF's what will happen is your end. you will die at any rate.

I'm personally not doing anything different than that which we've always done - Be Prepared.

It doesn't matter if it's an ELE type event or mere days, weeks or months long breakdown in critical infrastructure and utilities and the like... it certainly doesn't hurt to be prepared.

And if there was an ELE I do not want to risk my value as a person by trying to survive after the event. I would rather die in the age of convenience and comfort than live for years in a mad max or postman type of scenario..

To each their own then, I guess.

Me,
I'd rather continue to breathe and live than to simply give up, dry up and turn to mere dust ... just because I didn't take the necessary time and/or precautions to prepare myself and my family for weathering whatever 'storm' May happen down the pike or present us with.

Too many survivalists out there!

I'd have to argue that point and say, "There's No Where Near Enough!"

Short of an outright and immediate passing due to whatever type ELE that might possibly occur in our lifetime ... we're pretty well set to handle near anything else that might crop up or come along.

I can only hope more people realize the importance of the same, and that's not meant in the 'man -vs- wild' bs type scenarios ... I'm talking about those who'd hardly make it a week if stores closed, utilities and core infrastructure were to be shutdown or impacted.

Here ... 'the next meal' is right out the backdoor.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Reply to post by starshift

Good point. It shows what life really is at natures level and respect it.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

new topics

top topics

join