It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radiation level at 94 currently in Denver at 8:54 PM!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
From this Radiation Network website:

Disclaimer: Mineralab, LLC, the operator of this web site, can not independently verify that the Radiation Levels, or any Radiation Alerts, that are displayed on this Radiation Map are correct and valid. Among other possibilities, Geiger counter malfunctions or proximity of the counters to certain medical procedures or to radioactive items can cause high readings at a Monitoring Station. If the Radiation Map appears to show elevated Radiation levels, contact Mineralab.

Did anyone here contact Mineralab?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by porky1981

how do you know its from iodine or cs-137?

your right I don't.. it could just as easy be Krypton 85, Krypton 85m, Rubidium 86, Krypton 87, Rubidium 87, Krypton 88, Strontium 89, Strontium 90, Strontium 91, Yttrium 91, Yttrium 92, Yttrium 93, Zirconium 93, Zirconium 95, Niobium 95, Zirconium 97, Niobium 97, Ruthenium 103, and Ruthenium 105. just to name a few
all of which concerns me...

potassium-40 on the other hand does not worry me in the least
Any radiation above and beyond what we are exposed to in so called "Background Radiation" concerns me

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I've been watching the maps since this started. Denver has always been higher than other places. The norm seems to be in the 50s.
Check out this site. www.idealist.ws...
I'm in the UK and learnt from Chernobyl that dairy products can be particularly affected. Farms in 'hot spots' were banned from selling produce but I am pretty sure most of us were getting too high a dose anyway. Which would explain the rise in cancers.
This time I am not waiting to find out after the event (or not at all). I am now stocked up on food and I certainly won't be buying dairy for the foreeable future.
edit on 30-3-2011 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II

Did anyone here contact Mineralab?

I would suggest contacting local radio stations and other media.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
ok well put it into perspective. The dose conversion coefficient for inhalation of Iodine-131 is 2e-8 Sv/Bq.

Lets assume 94 cpm is attributed entirely to iodine-131. 94 cpm = 1.57 cps = 1.57 disintegrations/s or Bq.

You don't know the concentration in air unfortunately. Let's assume theres 1.57 Bq in a m3 of air.

the breathing rate is assumed to be light activity - 3.3e-4 m3/s

1.57 Bq/m3 * 3.3e-4 m3/s = 5.18e-4 Bq/s * 2.00e-8 Sv/Bq = 1.04e-11 Sv/s = 0.037 microSv/h.

Lets assume you stand there for 8760 hours (1 year) continuously. That is 327 microSv/h or 0.32 mSv.

The background dose for one individual in a year from cosmic and other sources is about 2.4 mSv.

Obviously my assumptions of the activity concentration are just that, assumptions, but to me this means I shouldn't worry.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I'm going to take a shot in the dark here but... if this was a result of radiation from Japan wouldn't you see a trend in the direction of the prevailing wind? Why aren't we seeing a trend from the west such as spikes in the Salt Lake city Area or northern California?

There is no doubt that 105 is very high but I see no reason to beleive it is directly related to the incidents in Japan for this reason.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Northwarden

The best live map I could find is from Weather Online.

Weather Online
www.weatheronline.co.uk...

Unfortunately this map is just a dispersion model and not real time measurement.
edit on 30-3-2011 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by YourPopRock
reply to post by BattleStarGal

They seem to be going up!

I am in Minnesota thankfully, but I have friends in Denver... this isn't good and this isn't natural.

I am in Minnesota too, you should U2U me and we could discuss what to do next and I can fill you in on other stuff I have posted here and would like to get your thoughts on some stuff.

Hope for the best and expect the worst!!

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I'm currently in downtown Denver, and if anyone starts glowing, I'll report in pronto. But honestly, 100 while perhaps high on their scale, is not very dangerous. It's probably in the 50s most of the time simply due to our altitude. I don't think it's from Japan, as it would have to leave a trail - it can't simply teleport onto our city, and it doesn't just disappear if it moves on.

I don't think it's Rocky Flats either. That is very well contained. The company I work for has worked extensively on the cleanup - it's now defunct, and there is no way there is so much radiation, it just blows west and contaminates the city.

To put it in perspective: you would have to be exposed to a 100 CPM level for 432 days, to increase your risk of cancer at the odds of 1 in 1000. So.. if it stayed at 100 for an extended period, yes.. I'd be worried. But if it goes up and down as it is, it's not a huge deal.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I live in Fort Collins About 60 miles north of Denver. My question to other denver folks on here is if they know if st. vrain power plant is a nuclear power plant. If it is I would have to imagine it could help offset that # on radiation network.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I'm in Colorado as well and have been watching the Denver number fluctuate quite a bit lately. But, one thing I have to wonder about is since the Radiation Network is a "grass roots effort" how do we know that the "monitoring station" that lists higher readings is in a suitable environment? Has this station fluctuated like this a month ago, a year ago?

Hell, I could buy a compatible geiger counter, purchase their software and become a "monitoring station". That doesn't mean I'm remotely qualified to set the package up correctly though. Not saying it isn't important to watch it, but let's not go all chicken little.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I don't know if you guys realize this, but another nuclear reactor melted down this morning. The radiation level that I have seen was almost 300 in Massachusetts. But now I can't find it anywhere, it's just gone. I live in Bangor, Maine and we have a Maine Military supply in the next town over and gas masks are sold out as of today. Whether they are getting more I don't know. People are sending them to there families on the west coast. I am getting as many as possible. Also, stock up on bottled water before the water is poisoned and unsafe. I would say get some Iodine pills but who can afford them now that most are like hundreds of dollars

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by AwareOfSurroundings

i'm not sure if its reliable to judge whether a nuclear reactor has melted down just on account of a high reading in one area

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwareOfSurroundings
I don't know if you guys realize this, but another nuclear reactor melted down this morning. The radiation level that I have seen was almost 300 in Massachusetts. But now I can't find it anywhere, it's just gone. I live in Bangor, Maine and we have a Maine Military supply in the next town over and gas masks are sold out as of today. Whether they are getting more I don't know. People are sending them to there families on the west coast. I am getting as many as possible. Also, stock up on bottled water before the water is poisoned and unsafe. I would say get some Iodine pills but who can afford them now that most are like hundreds of dollars

I saw a post here at ATS that, "Flinstone," vits have pottasium iodide in them. Sure enough, & the other vitamins too with iodine I have seen also (labels I am reading) their iodine IS potassium iodide.
Maybe stocking up on vitamins & taking a, "one a day," will help!
I agree, stockup NOW & w/water.. never hurts to prepare.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
cdxnode64.epa.gov...

Fixed Monitor Location: WA: RICHLAND
Measurement Start Date/Time: 03/30/2011 10:39:34 PM
Measurement End Date/Time: 03/30/2011 11:39:42 PM
Beta Gross Count Rate (CPM): 330
Gamma Energy Range 2 Gross(CPM): 1851
Gamma Energy Range 3 Gross(CPM): 1162
Gamma Energy Range 4 Gross(CPM): 384
Gamma Energy Range 5 Gross(CPM): 186
Gamma Energy Range 6 Gross(CPM): 130
Gamma Energy Range 7 Gross(CPM): 153
Gamma Energy Range 8 Gross(CPM): 96
Gamma Energy Range 9 Gross(CPM): 37
Gamma Energy Range 10 Gross(CPM): 57

This is bad, no?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Umm, here we go again? I just saw the Denver monitor hit 67, then a low number, then 71 ?.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by RoyalBlue

Umm, here we go again? I just saw the Denver monitor hit 67, then a low number, then 71 ?

I've been watching the numbers too, certainly doesn't look as if any numbers are going down. When I
first saw this map a week ago my area was 12 - 14 and now its going from 28 to 32. Not as high as
Denver and wow would I be concerned if I was there. I wanted to ask if the local media is saying anything
to people in Denver since the numbers are increasing. Also when are they going to come forth
and let us know what is truly safe to drink and eat in each area. I am still drinking tap water - not for long
as I am getting bottled water tomorrow. On that note, what gets me is the scarce reports and the
fact we aren't being told what is safe to do or not do by our local govts. BTW Ft. Wayne, Indiana here.
edit on 30-3-2011 by crazydaisy because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-3-2011 by crazydaisy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Ft. Wayne, Indiana? I'm originally from there, my relatives are still there...too cool! I'm in Houston, Texas now. Watching the numbers in Denver is intriguing. Hearing other posters say that area has been used for nuclear weapon materials makes me suspicious of what's really causing the readings we're watching now.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Our government is telling us we're getting just minimal readings, nothing to be concerned about. So I don't look to them to come forward and tell us anything is wrong anywhere in the U.S, including food and water.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by onyx718

I didn't say that just because there is high radiation in that area was because a nuclear reactor melted down. It did melt down this morning, there are 3 left. I'm not saying this just because of the high radiation, it did happen. I just wanted to inform people. But the radiation level was high in Massachusetts, but the government is not saying s***.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join