It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radiation level at 94 currently in Denver at 8:54 PM!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Cloudsinthesky

So where is everyone going to run when the reading is 150 in your area?

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
In trying to understand what these readings mean, here is some information which I found.

Radiation from various sources

External Background Radiation 60 mrem/yr, US Average
Natural K-40 and Other Radioactivity in Body 40 mrem/yr
Air Travel Round Trip (NY-LA) 5 mrem
Chest X-Ray Effective Dose 10 mrem per film
Radon in the Home 200 mrem/yr (variable)
Man-Made (medical x rays, etc.) 60 mrem/yr (average)

SOURCE

A conversion from counts per minute (cpm) to dose rate (rads/hr, mrads/hr, etc.) is possible, but the conversion factor depends on the kind of detector being used and on the type of radiation being measured and frequently on the energy of the radiation. The relationship between count rate and dose rate is usually established through empirical calibration procedures in which the detector is exposed in a radiation field of the radiation type and energy of interest at a known dose rate, and the count rate is recorded. If the instrument being used has an adjustable discriminator the observed count rate will also be affected by the setting of the discriminator. Changes to the operating voltage and other operating parameters may also affect the observed count rate.

SOURCE

So what I am learning is that there are a few factors which affect a reading and a pieces of information which you need to truly measure CPM (radiation counts per minute) and convert it to dose rates (mrads per hour, etc).

Maybe that is why it is so difficult for us to get a simple answer about what these readings mean. Maybe we are not getting all of the needed pieces of info to make a determination.

With all that is going on, it feels important for me to understand what I am looking at. In a true emergency situation, I don't want to be waiting for someone to tell me if I am going to be getting a deadly dose of radiation in 5 minutes. It could be too late by then.

I am going to keep researching.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
Ok guys and gals...hear me out. I think the answer here is that the
Denver International is taking in flights from Japans evacuations.

I think that might have something to do with it. If wind or altitude were to blame then the numbers for Colorado Springs (teens/20s) should be right up there with Denver since Springs is higher at 6000-7000ft

I'm way down south in the state at 7000ft. The wind blows like crazy along the front range. Last week we had high wind advisories and a grass fire around the chemical depot in Pueblo. Frankly I'm more worried about the crap stored there.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I am going to try and contact the Radiation Network, but in the meantime there is some really interesting information on their message board regarding the high alert noted in Alabama a couple days ago. And also this information about the various monitoring devices which are being used in this network.

When reporting radiation readings, units of measurement matter. The EPA readings are apparently in CPM (Counts per Minute), but CPM levels are not standardized, and instead depend upon the design of each model of detection instrument. So readings in CPM are not comparable except to historical readings made by the same instrument. I am hoping that the EPA detectors are something much more specialized and sensitive than the models typically used by our Monitoring Stations. For example, if a "counting tube" has a larger physical size and greater surface area, then it follows that the count rate, measured by the number of radiation particles that it "captures", will thus be higher.

SOURCE

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Originally posted by idunno12

In trying to understand what these readings mean, here is some information which I found.

With all that is going on, it feels important for me to understand what I am looking at. In a true emergency situation, I don't want to be waiting for someone to tell me if I am going to be getting a deadly dose of radiation in 5 minutes. It could be too late by then.

Then again, maybe all that's being said is that there's better nights to venture outside? I don't think anyone's talking about deadly doses of radiation, and I suspect higher radiation levels are a commonly known fact for those living in Denver. Many will also just be getting used to regular checking of these facts. There was nothing wrong with this amount of concern, levels are too high.
edit on 30-3-2011 by Northwarden because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Northwarden

Then again, maybe all that's being said is that there's better nights to venture outside? I don't think anyone's talking about deadly doses of radiation, and I suspect higher radiation levels are a commonly known fact for those living in Denver. Many will also just be getting used to regular checking of these facts. There was nothing wrong with this amount of concern, levels are too high.

Originally posted by YourPopRock
OMG!!! 105!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is bad. Very very bad!

Originally posted by YourPopRock
reply to post by ColoradoJens

It means hide!

Stay indoors!!!

That sounds pretty severe and causes great alarm. I am trying to find out why this is such cause for so many exclamation points and why I need to hide. I am also trying to find out what makes these levels "too high" as you put it and what that may mean.

I agree that according to the posted website, anything over 100 cpm triggers an "alert". But what does that alert truly mean? And what is causing the levels to swing back and forth as much as 30 cpm in either direction tonight?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Maybe what said about Denver taking Japan evacuations may be true. But could it be a coincidence that there is high radiation levels in a city with an airport that has a 88.5 sq miles of an underground facility, used for "storage"?? Aka, Area 52. Just thought that it was kinda weird.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
hmm, anyone have a link to europe radiation levels (or england), i dont think theres anywhere monitoring.
to the illumanati card poster yep could be we all get mutated

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
On March 20/21st readings in Denver 242-276. At least the reading have gone down, but still worrysome. Of course was not mentioned at all in the news.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Seems messed up to me

Has anyone got links for radiation levels in the UK?? Ive been looking for monitors over here but cant seem to find anywhere that monitors our radiation!
We have been told its in scotland now...but they never said the levels present.
Could really do with some help here guys and gals

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
A rule of thumb is that 100cpm = 1micro Sievert per hour. 1 Sievert makes you sick (if taken all at once) and gives you a roughly 5% increased risk of cancer.

Referring to this chart: xkcd.com...

That tells us that being in a location with 100cpm for one hour is roughly equivalent to having an arm x-ray.

Spend 20 hours taking 100cpm and that's roughly equivalent to a chest x-ray.

The EPA yearly limit for radiation exposure to a single individual is 1000 micro SV. That would be 1000 hours or 41 continuous days of exposure to 100cpm levels of radiation.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by idunno12
I agree that according to the posted website, anything over 100 cpm triggers an "alert". But what does that alert truly mean? And what is causing the levels to swing back and forth as much as 30 cpm in either direction tonight?

There's no need to run and hide. A reading of 100 is merely the point at which you can distinguish a normal background source of radiation from an artificial one. Its not really a point where you can consider it dangerous. Background levels are so low that a reading 2-3 times higher than normal isn't going to hurt anyone anytime soon.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Could someone send a Reply-To explaining why it is spiking so high in Denver and nowhere else, thanks in advance.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
What I'm trying to understand is why Denver - in the rough middle of the country is (and has been since the beginning of this) reading WAY higher than the coastal regions. I think they're using this Japanese crisis to do something else... Something that involves radiation leakage.

I mean, I would think that if Denver is reading THAT high, the coastal regions should be at least close in numbers. Elevation can't explain THAT big a discrepancy, I wouldn't think.

I checked today, and Denver looks better now. But one of the circles is hidden. Don't know what it says.
edit on 3/30/2011 by Amaterasu because: typo

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

It's kind of maddening to find a UK site, actually. After over an hour searching sites I have got myself up to speed with the letter agencies involved and have a few links for you. RIMnet protects the UK presently, but I could not find any monitoring readings such as we've already found.

Radioactive Incident Monitoring Network (RIMNET)
www.defra.gov.uk...

There are also two agency pages that have contact info :

Southern England Radiation Monitoring Group
www.sermg.org.uk...

Northern Ireland Radiation Monitoring Group
www.nirmg.org.uk...

Perhaps the International Commission on Radiological Protection page has someone who knows the answers?
www.icrp.org...

The best live map I could find is from Weather Online.

Weather Online
www.weatheronline.co.uk...

I was looking for independent networks by preference.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I wonder how many times people having been hitting the refresh page... it's nice out, wouldn't be a bad idea to go out for a walk.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
So, did I miss any higher readings last night? (That is to those of you who were able to stay up far later than I)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by YourPopRock

Not long after you went to bed, the readings went down. I first noticed one of four monitors in Colo. disappeared, then a short time later it was back. It was at that same time I noticed the readings had dropped to around 60ish.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by YourPopRock

Soory dud but alert level is alot lower than that. being someone who works in the field I can tell you any dosing above backround is bad for you. It causes mutation in your cells and usually your body can keep it in check by attacking the mutations.

Some times it becomes over whelmed and that is when it runs unchecked because you bodily stopps the attack.

I have used detection equipment and also tested my own phone and can honestly say I never use it unless it is really neccessary. I will not let my children have one either. The amout of RF can be pretty high when on the internet or sending texts and on the phone for 20 minutes and I can tell you your head is next to a low power microwave oven. just on low.

Don't believe me.

open the booklet that comes with your cell pone and read how they say that they are not sure it will cause health effects of brain tumors.

They liw they them in the know know it does.

When cell phone first came out they looked at statistics of brain cancers and studies and when the cell phone came out they were first bag phones which were used tio get us use to them. Now look at the right up with your head against the transmitter.

Sad. So sad that all these kids are on these phones for hours on end.

And mom and dad have no clue.

you can measure several mW and sometimes up to 1/4, 1/2 and 1 watt depending on the moel.

Why do you think they don't tell you how much power it transmits.

Way to much information for the public to handle pluss it is good buisness.

And that would open up a can of worms regarding well if the phones trasmit harmfull radiation what about the towers. Well don't want to fear monger but I would not wont to be down range from one that is for sure.

I racall when transmiiting in a helicopter we were transmitting about 10watts of power coming out if the attenna. They specifaclly told us to block off the area so no one could get close to the tranmitter before we started squaking to the tower for radio checks and testing.

Radiation of ant types is bad.

Dont believe me I can proved it to you.

Take out a steak. Very thinly slice a peice of meat thin.

Turn on your cell phone and call a number maybe your home number. Place the thin stip of meat on you phone while trasmitting.

Keep track how long it takes before the meat starts to change color.

I bet you never knew that.

Gives you a new perspective when you put the phone up to your ear.

Limit it if you can for your own safety.

just saying...

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

No where to go.

Didn't you forget the messiah had spoken and said listen to your government. You have absolutly nothing to worry about then grabs his family and heads far south out of the fallout.

Do as I say not as I do right.

Mr O people are watching. And are very worried about there safety.

Hell I can get there minds off it. I will just bomb libya.

Ring a bell.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join