It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI asks public for help breaking encrypted notes tied to 1999 murder

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Everyone seem's to have failed, well i think they should show it too some of those amazingly talented autistic kid's,
maybe it need's a real genius to crack it!

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I think it's something written during a moment of hypergraphia and that what was written could only be understood by the writer in a manic state, if at all.
Kind of like trying to write down your dreams at night. You wake up, write what you remember, then in the morning it makes no sense at all.

I do think you should hand write it out not use a printer, though. The letter combination and the poorly written letters stand out more when you are doing the same motions of writing. I used graph paper with one letter, space or punctuation mark per square. It helped me see the letter combinations better. It also shows he was probably writing quickly as he edited as he went.

The combinations that seem as though they will be the key are:
NCBE, found at the end of many lines
WLD, which also is used as a possesive as WLD'S
RSE, also found at the end of lines
SE, found all over the place

There are only four instances of doubled letters. On the "NOTES" page a 'phrase' contains the combination PP twice. The other cases is on the (ACSM) page is a DD, second row from the bottom and RR in the second set of ()'s.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
What I find curious is the lack of 1-letter words, like "I" or "A". And no punctuation.
I'm thinking "cse" could be "ing".

edit on 30-3-2011 by General.Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Just an FYI to those taking a stab at it. I haven't read thru all the posts so maybe this has been brought up already. The letter was not written buy the murderer but by the victim. Here is a post I took off the story:

Just an observation: many of the people who have commented seem to assume that the notes were written by the killer – they were not. The notes were written by the VICTIM, Ricky McCormick. His family confirmed that McCormick has been writing notes similar to these since he was a young man, but none of them knows what the notes mean or how to decipher them. McCormick, btw, had a modest education (never finished high school), had no background in mathematics or logic, and as far as I know, wasn’t intellectually gifted. The code is most likely something very personal. The FBI is hoping that deciphering the notes gives them an idea of McCormick’s whereabouts and activities during the days immediately prior to his death. I found these details at the FBI website and thought they might be useful to those of you who are trying to decipher the notes.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
1) The guy was a high-school drop-out .
2) He was "street-smart" .
3) According to his family , he has been writing in code since he was a boy .
4) The FBI requests that anyone with any possible insight into cracking the code , write to an address . No
telephone number or e-mail address is provided for contact purposes .
5) Nowhere in any of the links do I find any indication of the victim being associated with drug activity or any
mental health issues . Those connections have only been surmised here on ATS and the comments section
of the links .
6) The FBI and their top experts are unable to decipher the code , indicating that the key to deciphering it was/is
known only to the person who wrote the notes .
7) The FBI would have processed the notes for fingerprints . Apparently they did not find any prints on the notes
that matched any prints in their database . Another strong indication that the notes were written by the victim.
Or , the notes were written and placed by an unsub who took care to not leave any prints on them , or the
unsub had never been booked and processed in any law enforcement institution .
8) FBI would have processed the notes for DNA . See #7 above .
9) Victim used code all his life . FBI would attempt to find other written code by victim to compare . Either they
have obtained other code by the victim and are not acknowledging this , or they have not obtained any , which
I would find very curious . If other code from victim has been obtained , handwriting analysis would determine if
notes were written by victim .
10) If notes were not written by victim , and anyone here deciphers the code , prepare yourself for a visit from the
FBI .

If the FBI has obtained other notes of the victim , which are written in code , they should release some of those as well . The possibility of deciphering the code would increase with additional notes .

I feel the notes were written by the victim .

I'm sure the FBI has , but has anyone on here looked at the notes from the phonetics angle ? I don't feel that there is a mathematical connection , unless the guy was some type of numbers-whiz who could decipher it quickly in his head . Then again , I am just speculating .

I think it would be awesome if an ATS member were to unlock it , although I certainly don't wish to be the one .

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Found this in the comments below the article. " Just an observation: many of the people who have commented seem to assume that the notes were written by the killer – they were not. The notes were written by the VICTIM, Ricky McCormick. His family confirmed that McCormick has been writing notes similar to these since he was a young man, but none of them knows what the notes mean or how to decipher them. McCormick, btw, had a modest education (never finished high school), had no background in mathematics or logic, and as far as I know, wasn’t intellectually gifted. The code is most likely something very personal. The FBI is hoping that deciphering the notes gives them an idea of McCormick’s whereabouts and activities during the days immediately prior to his death. I found these details at the FBI website and thought they might be useful to those of you who are trying to decipher the notes."
Replies (25
edit on 30-3-2011 by imawlinn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I think it might be relied to morse code. If you take the top or bottom of each letter or signs, you have . or - which could be transformed in morse code.

this is just an idea

I just started to check this out with the second line because I am not sure of every letter in the first row and I am using the bottom of each letter as a reference to morse code

TFRNENIT
Could be -> TF -> .. = i
R and the first part of N -> ... = s
second part of N and E -> .- =a
N and I -> ... = s
T and N -> .. = s

etc...

would give "is ass"

edit on 30-3-2011 by static-override because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I know this is only SLIGHTLY off topic, but I find it interesting that FOX NEWS decided to report on this for MINUTES this afternoon when I haven't heard anything on their website or TV station about this before. (my roommate watches a lot of Fox News Channel, so I do by Proxy)

It's amazing to me that apparently someone that does program direction for this station has either a vested interest in ATS or is a member. This page had a few flags and all the sudden, it's back on NATIONAL NEWS!

Just goes to show how "up-on-the-times" ATS actually is. Made me question them. Made me like ATS even more.

Just a note.

You guys are taking this in some interesting directions. I look forward to following the thread some more!

Peace!

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
It could be the type of cypher where one letter is substituted for another? It would explain certain letter combinations that repeat. They could represent common letter combinations like TH or SH etc.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by franspeakfree

I agree. 1st off WHY would this be a FBI case? a murdered guy ends up at the FBI with code? They do not grab a local dead drug dealer case or even some guy dead in a field. so there has to be more to the story.

edit on 30-3-2011 by SkipperJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Ok here is my contribution:

I did a simple letter reduction and came up with on the first note(Not all the way finnished)

DC REP?
P1M HDD
AW6 AUA

P1M is a website that has been around since 1996(according to the copy right at bottom) so this would fit with when Mccormick was alive, and the site also contains a list of abreviations. Click here... www.p1m.com... and scroll down and find HDD.

Interesting right?

Ok the AW 6 thing looked like a dud when i googled it, it came up with some old rusty model of tractor at
www.tractordata.com...
And i started to leave after reading it, but i noticed the Name of the tractor..Go take a look.

Interesting right?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Nomadmonkey....I really believe YOU are the closest to deciphering this whole thing. Way to go!

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Uncle Gravity

This thread is a HOOT

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by onedrkflame

Hmmmm..... Why would ANYONE write out a list of names, locations, dates and what was going on with him in cryptic code to leave for the FBI. Seems like if the vic wrote this, he would have been a lil more straight forward. Ohhh, but wait you say. What if the vic didnt want the perp to know what it was that was in the notes? Well lets see, the so called perp was smart enough to not leave any kind of evidence. Why wouldnt they take the papers too? Back to my previous post, I think its all a game and just a way to throw the authorities off track. This simple little note would keep a hundred or so people running in circles and not doing what really needed to be done 12 yrs ago, looking for other clues like they would have done if there were no notes left on the vic. Keep in mind, this is all in my opinion.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   

FBI's Cryptanalysis and Racketeering Records Unit (CRRU) did extensive work on these note and the meaning of them remains a mystery. These encrypted notes are one of CRRU's top unsolved cases. FBI says breaking this code could help them solve the murder.

FBI says there is no reward being offered, just a challenge-and the satisfaction of knowing that your brain power might help bring a killer to justice.

"Even if we found out that he was writing a grocery list or a love letter," CRRU chief Dan Olson. "We would still want to see how the code is solved. This is a cipher system we know nothing about."

FBI Laboratory
Cryptanalysis and Racketeering Records Unit
2501 Investigation Parkway
Quantico, VA 22135
Attn: Ricky McCormick Case

edit on 30-3-2011 by donatellanator because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by CodyOutlaw

Im sure the, ever so smart fed's would have figured that out all ready. These guys are not stupid, they know what they are doing. I bet my money on.... This lil public show case of the notes is the fed's trying to get the attention of the perp.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Wheres Ralphy Parker and his Little Orphan Annie decypher ring when you need him? Set it to P1 and see what you get. Bet it will say "Be sure to drink your Ovaltine"

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by SlyingFaucers
reply to post by Cecilofs

This is what I got for the note with p1 circled in the corner. It could be note one, but it could also be a clue to solving it.

(MNDMKWEMRSE-N-S-PAKNARE)(AESM)
TFRNENPKNSEWPBSERCBRNSENPRSEINC
PRSENMRSE DPREHLDWLDNCBE (TFXLFTCXLNCBE)
AL-PRPPITXLYPPIYNCBEMGKSEINCDRCBRNSEPRSE
WLDRCBRNSENTSENENTXSECRSLE-CITRSEWLDNCBE
ALWLPNCBETSMELRSEURGLSNEASNWLDNCBE
(NOPFSE NLSRE NCBE) NTEGDDMNSENCURERCBRNE
(TEWETFRNE NCBRTSENCBEINC)
(FLRSE PRSEONDE71NCBE)
(CDNSEPRSEONSFE74NCBE)
(PR+SEPRSEONREDE75NCBE)
(TFNRCMSPSOLEMRDELUSE TOTE WLDNIXLDNCBE)
(194WLD’SNCBE)(TRFXL)

just a general reply

edit on 30-3-2011 by SlyingFaucers because: (no reason given)

Here is a link to the Enigma Machine Applet:

russells.freeshell.org...

I used your translation, and the numbers 194 for the top (reflector), and the 71, 74, 75 for the rotors! These numbers fit perfectly. Anyone care to help try this method? I used "N" as a plug letter (since it seems to be common), but perhaps this is the wrong approach (maybe R or M would be better?). I'd appreciate any insight.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by MJZoo

The notes were written by Ricky McCormick (victim) . His family confirmed that McCormick has been writing notes similar to these since he was a young man, but none of them knows what the notes mean or how to decipher them. McCormick, btw, had a modest education (never finished high school), had no background in mathematics or logic, and as far as I know, wasn’t intellectually gifted. The code is most likely something very personal. The FBI is hoping that deciphering the notes gives them an idea of McCormick’s whereabouts and activities during the days immediately prior to his death.

* FROM A COMMENT ON THE SITE
sorry just noticed you guys have already said that my baaaaaad, i felt all helpfull/smart for a sec

edit on 30-3-2011 by fairytale because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Looking at it and it says

Be sure to drink your Ovaltine

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join