It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI asks public for help breaking encrypted notes tied to 1999 murder

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by solargeddon

I know this is a really silly idea, but anagrams without spaces perhaps ?

Something about planting eagles in a tree?
25 times 99.84 might be Feb 4 1996, Big earthquake in china on that date.
If this is more of the zodiac killer archetype they are looking for a male?

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Thank you Badmove for posting the notes!

link   
My first question is who is Ricky McCormick, and what were the facts of his murder. Was he a business man? Was he some average person? When did he become missing? Under what circumstances did he come up missing? etc. A murderer must select and target their victims to some extent. We need some background on the murder before trying to figure this out...unless of course the code is mathmatical, but then if it were the FBI probably wouldn't need the publics help.

Anyone still have one of those lucky charms decoders that came in the cereal boxes back from the 90's? lol

link   
I think it is a possible C++ format...which would be math in a sense and explains the parentheses.
In the second page I noticed (aesm).

Searched it in google and it came up with a decryptor key for the program.
msdn.microsoft.com...

Could be a lead

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

All i could get off google was this..

www.google.com...=Ricky+McCormick+murder&hl=en&prmd=ivnsuo&source=univ&tbm=nws&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=2W6STdGCBY72tgPDxKy5BQ&ved=0CCQQqAI&bav=on.2,or.r_ gc.r_pw.&fp=fb4c6b9ab65fd442

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
A helluva lotta these end with SE. Both pages. is that perhaps signifigant?
The code wouldnt be simple substitution would it? Hmmmmmmm

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
With the multitude of long e or ay sounds at the end of many of the words, this looks to me like a form of pig latin.
I don't know if other languages do it like they do in English, but I think there is something there along this line.

I just found this thread and the article. Hmmm...interesting...

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
looks to me like each letter is a word,
he just wrote the letter that the word began with,
only reason I say that is, is because back in the day when I worked with the mentally ill, I had 2 guys that did this just randomly, they didnt even know eachother.
sbtaihtsat!

link   
reply to post by stirling

A form of Pig Latin would result in that.

link   
reply to post by tsawyer2

Man we are in trouble if the FBI cannot crack a pig latin code.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by TOPGUNPILOT

I think it is NCBE. At first I thought it was a U but after writing it like the notes...I think it is a N.
What four letter word endings are there. Able, ites, ings,
Or if it's CBE...ing,ers, ate, ...I will never sleep again!!!

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Some of the letters are hard to make out. This is what I see in the first note minus the parenthesis and spaces. I typed it in capitol letters for what reason I am not sure? Some of these might be other letters or numbers?

MADNKNEARSENSPAKNABE

TFRNENPTNSENPBSERCBBNSENPRSEINC

ALPRPPITXLYPPIYNCBEMGKSEWCORCBRNSEPRSE

WLDRCBRNSENTOGNEOTXSECPSLECTTRSEWLDNCBE

ALWCPNCBETGMELRSERLSEURGLSNEASNWLDNCBE

CNOPFSENLSRENCBENTEGDDMNSENCURERCBRWE

CTENETFRNENCBRTSENCBEIWW

CFLRSEPASEONDE71NCBE

CDWSEPASEONSDE74NCBE

PQTSEPRSEONREDE75NCBE

TFURCMSPSOLEMRDELUSETOTEWCDNWLDNCBE

194WLDSNCBETRFXL
edit on 29-3-2011 by jaynkeel because: fix typo

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
how fascinating. interesting that the feds are involved regarding a 12 yr old murder from st. louis. no mention of details about case. just set of letters and 99.84 mixed in. how interesting would it be if the final solution was some type of formula for energy. there is no mention whether the feds think the notes were written by suspect or victim. some more elaboration of the victim and his background would make this a better riddle to solve. nothing like a good conspiracy to work on, if the payoff is really big.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

So true, but sometimes the obvious may be the hardest to understand. Just saying my thoughts.

I don't know what is before the SE but it just seems like that is where I want to start.

:-)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
ALPNTE GLSE - SE ERTE
VLSE MTSE - CTSE - WSE - FRTSE
PNRTRSE ONDRSE WLD NCBE
NWLD XLRCMSP NEWLD STS ME XL
DULMT6TUNSE NCBEXL

( MUNSA | STEN MU NARSE )
KLSE - LRSTE -TRSE -TRSE -MKSE NMRSE
(SAE6NSE SE NMRSE )

NMNLCBLNSE PTE 2PTE WSRC BRCSE
26 MLSE 74SPRKSE 29KENOSOLE 173RTRSE
35GLE CLGSE JUNUTRE DKRSE PSE SHLE
651MTCSE HTLSE N CU TC TRS NMRF
99.84, S 2UNE PLSE UCRSE AOLTSE NSKSE N | SE

SE = sedan, the guy is a car nut, or shopping, or researching
SE is the most common pairing, and the most common ending appearing as the last two letters in thirty four of the letter groupings. Out of only 63 letter groupings.

A Bing search turned up the GM SE-101
on an article called "who killed the steam turbine powerd car
blog.hemmings.com...

A Bing search of this phrase
+se, +car
turns up a lot of new electric car models

Further searches using the number group 99.84 kept hitting
"Sport Compact Car Magazine's Top 100"
www.mnsportcompacts.net...
    100. '75-'76 Chevy Cosworth Vega
    99. '84-'97 Peugeot 205 GTI
    98. '99-present Mazda Miata MX-5
    97. '92-'93 Dodge Daytona IROC R/T
    96. '87 Dodge Charger GLH-S
    95. '78-'81 Toyota Celica

etcetera...
notice the first 4 digits of the second item on the list

David Grouchy

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
To be honest, when I first read this report today and the looked at the FBI site that has the letters, and having read over them, the first impression I had was letter key.

Like in freemasonry, we use the first letter of the word, and only those in the know would know the proper word.
Clearly if even the guys own family did not know the words he used, then it could be any combination of such.

Being the simplest for of encryption, I am of the opinion it is letter key, and the only proper sequence is know by the author only. Or those he confided in, or co-conspired with.

Was fairly interesting, not sure how may members get texts from the FBI Law Enforcement Briefs, but it was brought to my attention via text.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Lawgiver

I would like to see a sample of the victim's handwriting. That would help to determine whether or not it was the bastage or the victim's note. Also, I would like to know what affiliation he had with any type of government agency. This smells to high-heaven of an inside job.

I ALSO FOUND THIS piece of interesting information with a little background and transcription....

AND THIS: McCormick was a high school dropout, but his family says that he had experimented with codes and ciphers his whole life. The FBI believes that the notes were written not more than three days before he was killed, so deciphering them might point to circumstances of his death such as his whereabouts leading up to the murder.

Personally, I think the notes might be a suicide note from McCormick, but the FBI is more concerned with the challenge of cracking the code. "Even if we found out that he was writing a grocery list or a love letter, we would still want to see how the code is solved. This is a cipher system we know nothing about," Olson said.
( www.escapistmagazine.com... )

d122.com...
edit on 29-3-2011 by Hoopinator because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-3-2011 by Hoopinator because: more info found

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by davidgrouchy

The whole NCBE comes up alot as well.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR

Being the simplest for of encryption, I am of the opinion it is letter key, and the only proper sequence is know by the author only. Or those he confided in, or co-conspired with.

Well that would be a bit counter productive with the notion of leaving an encrypted letter at all. If this was really intended for the FBI (or the public), and was not just by coincidence together with the victim at the time of death, then whoever left it had to assume the other side has a way to decode it . In other case , why leave a note at all ?

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Thill

The article states the letters were found in the pockets, so being left is a matter of opinion at this point. Could go both ways, if being on the person is interpreted as being left, than sure, how ever..matter of perception perhaps.

FBI info
edit on 29-3-2011 by ADVISOR because: to add the fbi link for clarification

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join