It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BBC websites down : Hopefully nuclear submarine orders not updated...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
The BBC websites (including the BBC news) websites seem to be down, e.g.:
www.bbc.co.uk...

Judging from Twitter comments for the last ten minutes, the problem is not just limited to me.

Seeing that down reminded me of the following new item from a few years ago, which I thought might interest some of you:

menmedia.co.uk...

Radio silence puts subs on nuclear alert

THE captains of Britain’s nuclear submarines had a bit of a wake up call today - when the BBC mysteriously went off air for 15 minutes.

The Today programme, which is popular with government ministers, went silent just before the 8 o’clock news because of a fire alarm at BBC HQ.

Culture Minister Tessa Jowell was speaking when the programme was cut off and the main news was replaced by classical music.

The unusual event was a crucial test for Britain’s four Trident nuclear submarines, patrolling in secret locations around the world and cut off from base.

On board are handwritten letters from Prime Minister Tony Blair, bearing his instructions for nuclear retaliation. They are locked in the submarines' safes.

Secret orders to the captains say that these deadly instructions are to be opened and acted upon only if the submarine cannot tune in to Radio 4’s Today programme for a given number of consecutive days. That is a reliable sign that Britain has been hit by a nuclear attack.

So, let's hope that the BBC gets its websites back up soon - or that instructions for Britain's nuclear submarine commanders have now been updated for the Internet age...

All the best,

Isaac

edit on 29-3-2011 by IsaacKoi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
You can only push so mush BS through a computer before it doesn't like you anymore.
They're becoming self aware and aren't too keen on one sided stories and PC cr4p.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by IsaacKoi

Unless I misunderstood this, I sure hope that Britain does not base their decision on whether or not to launch nukes based off a web site being up or down.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I have just let my dog out before going to bed - time 23.15pm on Tues 29th March in Derbyshire UK and heard a very strange noise........... in the distance, towards the south ......... like a collasping rumbling noise which lasted for approx 7 seconds.......... Initially thought thunder but there is nothing else to suggest that........... I do not know what that just was.. weird ..

Regards

PDUK

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
wow they are all down www.google.co.uk...=psy&hl=en&site=webhp&q=bbc+iplayer&aq=3&aqi=g5&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&fp=a5a83db4b436d47e
www.google.co.uk...=en&sugexp=llsfp&xhr=t&q=bbc+news&cp=5&pq=bbc%20iplayer&pf=p&sclient=psy&site=webhp&aq=0&aqi=&aq l=&oq=bbc+n&pbx=1&fp=a5a83db4b436d47e

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed
Unless I misunderstood this, I sure hope that Britain does not base their decision on whether or not to launch nukes based off a web site being up or down.

Well, the story is that it USED TO have an instruction to launch nukes based on whether one particular BBC radio station (Radio 4) was down for several days...

Apart from the news story I included in the OP, I've heard that story on Radio 4 itself and its on Wikipedia. Wikipedia cites an article on the BBC website (which, ironically, can't be accessed at the moment to confirm that source...):

en.wikipedia.org...

It has been claimed that Radio 4 had an additional role during the Cold War: the commanders of nuclear-armed submarines believing that the UK had suffered nuclear attack were required to check if they could still receive Radio 4, and if they could not would open sealed orders which might authorize a retaliatory strike.[10][11]
#10 ^ "Radio silence puts subs on nuclear alert" 28 November 2003 Manchester Evening News Retrieved 27 July 2010
#11 ^ BBC. "BBC - Press Office - The Today Programme". www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
They must be getting hacked. But very creepy

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Just to confirm I am also unable to connect from the US either. www.bbc.co.uk...
Second line. I've never seen it go down before and visit every day.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I seem to be having trouble accessing quite a few .uk sites.

Perhaps there is more to this that simply a news site being down.

link   
Oh, I double posted the thread! Yes, it is not your local provider. Tried also BBC.com , not working either. Also tried proxy server from Germany, same issue. The BBC server is dead! other British websites are still on (like Skynews.co.uk) so no doomsday , I guess it is a technical issue.
edit on 29-3-2011 by Romanian because: (no reason given)

link   
Hmmmm very interesting...

But, what is being said here is that if the RADIO is down then they have those orders, is there anything to suggest that it's now based upon bbc websites? Or is this just your random speculation?

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Resentedhalo08

That's where I'm confused also. Is there T.V./radio station down too, or are we just talking about BBC websites?
edit on 29-3-2011 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
BBC News on the TV is fine

link   
If that was the case how would they know who to shot at. Thats not a good policy at all !!! Those nukes shouldn't be pre programed to shoot at anybody. Well maybe Iran... I'm just kidding

link   
thenextweb.com... b+%28The+Next+Web+All+Stories%29&utm_content=Google+UK

Starting at roughly 5 pm Central time, the web properties of the BBC, including iPlayer, have been unaccessible around the world.

Twitter has exploded with tweets from grumpy fans of the service’s various websites, complaining almost in shock that a media group as iconic as the BBC could suffer such a complete outage.

link   

Originally posted by Resentedhalo08
But, what is being said here is that if the RADIO is down then they have those orders, is there anything to suggest that it's now based upon bbc websites? Or is this just your random speculation?

Nothing to suggest it at all... As I said in my OP (with a smiley after it), I hope the orders have not been updated for the Internet age...

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Well, lets hope they don't actually have to listen to radio 4 all the time, stuck in a tin can under the ocean waves with only Radio 4 to listen to they'll go insane.. not good it they have their fingers on the button...

link   
reply to post by Resentedhalo08

The U.K is under Cyber attack.

Iran probably, damn they were right all along!!

link   
BBC World Service is currently broadcasting on XM Sirius Satellite radio (in the US) at this moment but I don't know if it is time delayed. Will let you know if I hear any announcements. etc.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
So the real story here is that BBC websites are down, not that nuclear submarines may act upon an order.

Hmmmm, I sense a spot of sensationalism and S&F grabbing with the whole nuclear submaries in the title.

<<   2  3 >>

join