It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unofficial confirmation of complete meltdown in reactor 2?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
While it's hard to get news on this situation I do find snippets here and there. Yesterday for instance I read that they have changed to using fresh water in an attempt to reduce the effects of salt water causing corrosion to the important pipes in and out of the reactor internals.

It appears, due to the plutonium leaking into the basement levels causing workers to become ill and in need of hospitalisation last Thursday, that the containment vessel has been cracked and is leaking.. last I heard it is leaking into the ground below the reactor housing.

My gut feeling all along has been that this will be the worst nuclear "accident" ever in human history. It will go on for months and months. Containment will no longer work. It would seem the current direction is to attempt to keep things cooler while some experts come up with new ways to deal with the situation (?)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Urantia1111

We can build airports, supermalls, skyscrapers, but can't cover nuclear plants in boron and concrete? Small planning needed, and it doesn't have to look pretty. Cooling should be the only issue. Is there no non-explosive dry ice substitute to rapid cool the scene?

I liked another posters recent suggestion to prefab a containment dome or cement casing, and ship it in.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Zeta Reticulan

Now that was an informative and understandable video.
I would be interested in following what he has to say
in the future.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by thewanger
I knew this was serious when I heard all the msm especially cnn and msnbc all say over and over again not to buy potassium iodine. which is just what i did before it got expensive.

Potassium iodine only protects your thyroid and it's ineffective for people over the age of 30 I believe? I'll have to double check that.. but after a certain age it's pointless.. the risk is people have been getting sick from it, potassium can itself can kill you or make you very sick if you take too much of it .. I had seen Obama address it earlier on by warning people to follow directions if they are taking it, well people can be stupid.. taking more than directed and getting ill ..

I know when I've taken too much because my heart rate drops .. I take it because I drink a lot of caffeine and don't get much potassium in my diet.. I run and bike.. it is very beneficial for me, but again the stuff can kill you..

If you take it in pill form it's even worse because it can damage your stomach and cause internal bleeding... potassium is not something to screw around with.. pill form is worse mostly because while it's disolving in your stomach it's sitting there in one place, concentrated in one spot .. too much of that can cause cell damage and bleeding
edit on 29-3-2011 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hundroid
reply to post by Blazer

You forgot to quote from the same article this:

Lahey did add there was no danger of a Chernobyl-style catastrophe.

I don't understand...Mr. Lahey says the core has melted down but still we are far from a Chernobyl event...seems contradictory.

I think because Chernobyl exploded, releasing into the atmosphere, where this is just a meltdown/melthru of the containment vessel.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blazer

Originally posted by Hundroid
reply to post by Blazer

You forgot to quote from the same article this:

Lahey did add there was no danger of a Chernobyl-style catastrophe.

I don't understand...Mr. Lahey says the core has melted down but still we are far from a Chernobyl event...seems contradictory.

I think because Chernobyl exploded, releasing into the atmosphere, where this is just a meltdown/melthru of the containment vessel.

If it is indeed leaking full blast into the ocean, the effects are going to be the same as the water evapourates into the atmosphere......

Worse even, because it contaminates food and the ocean which does produce rain, humidity in the air will be carrying radiation in lethal doses, rain clouds raining plutonium... this also doesn't even assess the damage to the ecosystem.

If it's not leaking into the water (wich we pretty much know it is by the amazingly high rad counts of the water.... which btw don't count alpha particles as they aren't picked up on the counters) then it would be contained within it's local area.

This is most likely not the case, and you can expect that radiation to spread via humidity/watercycle/ocean ecosystem.

Just some food for thought, I am no expert.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Dude! where do you think the many thousands of gallons of water went they have already pumped?The containment is leaking this highly charged water and it is ending back in the sea from whenmce it came....
How else?Do you see lakes of water lying around there?They have been full bore pumping sea water for a week?
And this over the three or four reactors twnty four seven!
How much water has been pumped by estimate?
How much contained within the system?How much released as steam into the atmosphere?
Right now the water is THE main contaminent that they should be dealing with....the airbornestuff will be negligable comparitvely.....no expert either but this water they are pumping is being highly irradiated and the what?

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I am alergic to iodine so whats going to happen to me will the poison spread to Australia

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by shroudnews77
I am alergic to iodine so whats going to happen to me will the poison spread to Australia

You're safe here. The crossover between northern hemisphere and the southern is fairly minimal. Even if the northern hemisphere was wasted in a nuclear armageddon, we would stil live here virtually un-worried for quite a few years until the radiation levels reached enough to be of concern.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by shroudnews77

Eat more bananas - they contain potassium, which you need for brain function
Oh wait cyclone Yasi destroyed most of our bananas and what is left is $12 - $19 a kg

as for the iodine ..... mmmm dunno if you are allergic
We seem to be out of the main stream down here it would seem so I don't think we have much to worry about for a while and what we do get will most likey be slow enough to assimulate anyways (hopeful ain't i
but I would not eat seafood for a while

edit on 30-3-2011 by Nemain73 because: missed a bit

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Zeta Reticulan

hmmm, he paints a bad picture there, it's not looking good.

as a smoker most of my life i have been warned by people and the government that i could develop cancer, seems so irrelevent now. also the government don't seem so concerned about my health now, do they.

it comes to something when youtube is more informitive of the potential dangers than your own government and media.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Maybe I can fill in some blanks on this reactor # 2 information.

What I heard today listening to the shortwave and HF bands in Japan

There is a melt down of some kind in reactor # 2, TEPCO already knows the containment vessel is cracked and the rods have melted though. (Nuclear fission has occurred) TEPCO suspects the so-called blob of partially melted rods or fully melted rods went through bottom of the containment vessel. The fission blob as they said went down the drywell and is now stilling there on the concrete. TEPCO is not sure if this is a partial or full meltdown, they are thinking a full meltdown has occurred though, but it has melted down.

Now for more bad news, TEPCO suspects the drywell casing is cracked due to the recent quake of 6. Something. (I did not know they had another EQ) The concrete drywell is encased in steel also which TEPCO also thinks is fractured as well as the concrete dry-well. That is the reason for the high radiation readings around the plant grounds; radiation is seeping up. There is also a concern that the fission blob will melt thought the dry-well. TEPCO is going to flood the dry-well to keep the fission blob cool and prevent it from reaching the water table. They seem to be preparing for the worst now and have evacuated many more people. So looks like a complete failure in reactor 2.

This information is from Japan local radio stations. none of them are NHK.

MOD , I don’t have a link because it’s short wave and HF radios frequencies. I know the mods made a statement about adding links, but when Information is not being reported or in question I turn on the HF and Shortwave

edit on 30-3-2011 by SJE98 because: added note for Mod

edit on 30-3-2011 by SJE98 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Someone mentioned being allergic to Iodine. I don't really think it's possible to truly be allergic to iodine. Perhaps a form of it, or too much perhaps could be a bad thing. It's one of those necessary nutrients.

Anyway, isn't it nice we weren't really up front told the severity of things by the mainstream media until the dang thing melted down? Nothing to see, Obama says, don't prepare. What an irresponsible jerk.

The same with Japanese authorities, "don't worry, it's just small levels of radiation." Then the thing melts down.

What a mess.

Troy
edit on 30-3-2011 by cybertroy because: clarification

edit on 30-3-2011 by cybertroy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
There are many interesting perspectives on this board.

As far as being allergic to Iodine, it is real, but can be lessened by working up a tolerance of sorts, or by using alternatives, of which there are many. An excellent primer for protecting and cleansing the body of radioactive materials can be found here (at bottom of page is "what to do to protect oneself now, etc."):

doctorapsley.com...

However, they do not address using/ingesting clay, which if researched online appears to have benefits as well.

As far as general information about the situation in Japan, an easy go-to news source is Kyodo News at:

english.kyodonews.jp...

This is limited, but if monitored regularly a general idea of reality is exposed outside of the sensationalism of the US media.

Al Jazeera lost its live blog on the Asia-Pacific site, which is too bad as it was an informative mix of citizens' perspectives and news briefs from the area on the wide topic of the disaster.

Finally, as to the melt downs underway at at least three reactors, it was good to read the post regarding sea level and water tables in the Fukushima region and be reminded TEPCO and Japan must realize even if they had to try a Chernobyl-type fix on this plant, it may not work. These unstable reactors are sitting on the coast of a crust of island and no bedrock lies below if meltdown containment pools are breached.

At least all entities have admitted this will be a months-long or even years-long effort to get the reactors cool, which will make the issue drop from the headlines, even as it gets worse. No one wants to report the same story every day.

Hopefully the great minds of Japan and the UN are working together with the bravery of the plant workers to do everything they can...without leaving all of us (esp. those on Honshu) in the dark for too long.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
A technical breakdown day-by-day of sampling of radiation in Fukushima, Japan:

www.iaea.org...

I'm no nuclear physicist but the information appears very thorough and even if under-estimated seems clear. They do not, however, mention the reactor 2 meltdown only water outflow temps rising 3/30, which have been fluctuating for weeks now.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
For those interested you can google "free online radio tuners". I understand there are frequencies you can
listen to there. My boyfriend is an operator and he couldn't recall the name of the site but to try googling for it.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
Right now the water is THE main contaminent that they should be dealing with....the airborne stuff will be negligable comparitvely

The airborne particles are much more dangerous than the waterborne stuff. They travel much quicker and thus contaminate more land faster. The waterborne particles are radioactively shielded by the water--eight feet of water being as effective as one foot of lead for shielding. The main danger is the small percentage that will enter the food chain via the contaminated fish.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
This seems to be an "official" report... Homeland Security news feed...

homelandsecuritynewswire.com...

They are saying containment vessel breached due to partial or complete meltdown.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by littlebabymind

"Chernobyl-type fix "

I heard today on Japan radio there are going to try it. tepco offering big yen for the job. but they have no takers as of yet. I take it this is a one way mission.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
As far fetched as this sounds...why not just break the area with the reacotrs off japan and let it all slide to the bottom of the ocean or into a deep sea channel? the rods should be cooled forever regardless at least. im still up for getting the rods out somehow and setting them on rockets to the sun. forget the effin money it costs* add it a deficit..for a good casue, not a misleading greedy one, as always.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join