It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Active Duty Military: Questions for you

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I'm kind of po'd this morning (so maybe this should be in rants), and here's why:

I spent about a month last year as a volunteer preparing a Memorial Day weekend celebration in California. A wall was made that had the names of those killed in Iraq and Afghanistan. There were SEVENTEEN panels. During the week this wall was on display (it opened the week prior to Memorial Day), numerous fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, young sons and daughters, and other service members visited. Nearly every one took a rubbing of their lost loved one, and nearly every one wept as well, even the battle-hardened veterans.

The person heading up that part of the project said he would have to redesign the whole display for this year because he expected that there would be at least three more panels.

More panels. My first question is this: Why?

Yes, we're supposed to be reducing our forces in Iraq (finally). Yes, we're supposed to be fighting the good fight against the terrorists in Afghanistan. But Libya?

Let's look at some info about Libya. First, we're obviously there for oil, NOT to "protect civilians":

www.bloomberg.com...

Second, some of the "rebels" may (I say may because the info is from Fox, but please keep reading) actually be Al Qaida. The same Al Qaida that sent out soldiers home in boxes in Iraq:

www.foxnews.com... (yes it's from Fox, but keep reading)

So, here is my question to those currently in the military (and first, thank you for serving):

1. If it turns out that the rebels in Libya are Al Qaida that fought in Iraq, how do you feel about that?
2. How do you feel about continually being told that the US is fighting for a "good cause" of some sort, when it usually turns out to be for natural resources?
3. The military oath calls on service members to protect the US from all enemies "foreign and domestic". What, in your opinion, would be a "domestic" enemy, and do we have any domestic enemies right now?
4. At what point would you raise your bull# flag and say "Enough is enough" to the lies that are getting you and your friends killed?

I'd prefer not to see any more names on that wall, but the power for that is out of my hands. YOU, however, hold the power in your hands. Whether you exercise that power or not depends largely on how you answer the above questions.

Thank you for your time, your service, and your sacrifice. I hope you do not have to sacrifice any more.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by notsofunnyguy

but the power for that is out of my hands. YOU, however, hold the power in your hands. Whether you exercise that power or not depends largely on how you answer the above questions.

Thank you for your time, your service, and your sacrifice. I hope you do not have to sacrifice any more.

Why would you pass the responsibility to me?
Why can't you do anything?
I understand what your writing but the power is in all of our hands and those who pass on power never had and are not entitled to such.
I do my part, i try to keep my kids out of the human grinder we call "military" and i try to not endorse a frivolous lifestyle. i grow and hunt some food, i use some solar, i don't have an iphone and txt my bff, i try to pay attention.
We all do what we can, so do your part and stop passing blame.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by notsofunnyguy

I just got out of the military a year ago and I'll answer your question honestly.
1. I'd feel pretty stupid.
2. I think natural resources for my country is a good cause. If you don't want to keep your standard of living go live in Qatar for a year and tell me that fighting for resources is not a good cause. someone has to use them, I'd rather it be the U.S., but that is my personal opinion and i have questionable morals at best.
3. I'd say domestic terrorist groups, Christian and Islamic fundamentalists or any other group that call for violent overthrow of the government.
4. At what point would you raise your bull# flag and say "Enough is enough" to the lies that are getting you and your friends killed? I personally would wait until citizens went into full revolt against the government or there was a massive fallout of most service members from the military.
edit on 29-3-2011 by n0tsan3 because: grammar

new topics

join