It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DON'T WORRY: Plutonium "may in fact enhance human health"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
"Plutonium, one of the most feared radioactive substances on earth, may in fact enhance human health, according to unexpected new findings published in the journal, Health Physics."

opinion.financialpost.com...

*phew* I bet the Japanese have a huge weight off their shoulders today.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Might pop down to Japan and take a shot of that healthy dose of radioactive plutonium Fukushima seems to be spewing out. Might get some superpowers, you never know

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

The cancers started in earnest in beagles exposed to radiation doses above 200 centigrays (cGgy) and, in beagles exposed to doses higher than 2800 cGys, 100% developed tumours. In the control group of beagles, who weren’t exposed to radiation, the lung cancer rate was 18%.

But the reassessment also made a surprising finding – beagles who received low doses contracted fewer cancers than beagles who weren’t irradiated and beagles who received very low doses — in the range of 8 cGy to 22 cGy — came down with no lung tumours at all.

“These statistics indicate the likelihood that low doses of alpha-particle radiation protected against and reduced the incidence of lung cancer relative to the controls,” reported the researchers, based at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, one of the Department of Energy’s 10 national laboratories.

So we should all be vaccinated against cancer by receiving a nice 8 cGy shot of plutonium alpha particles. Just kidding... I think. I'm sure this is a promising scientific find (if the experiment can be repeated successfully), but I wonder how it would be applied to an every day scenario.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
gee..without even doing any more searching, i bet that the OP's low level of plutonium radiation is pretty close to what we get naturally. shocker!...if i went snow skiing above 7,000 feet, i would be receiving alot more sunborne radiation here in the US, then what we have already received from japan. everybody needs to calm down.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I'll be look for the Plutonium Cheerios:

"May help human health."

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

I saw this sentence and immediately stopped reading.

Recently, the government decided to reassess the old data...

source

Either the government's power to brainwash people is at an all time high, or they just don't give a damn anymore.

They are bringing it.

Good find.

S & F.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Pretty sure we should still worry

I wouldn't call the radiation levels low and i wouldn't say the dose is low in Japan, if it should get anymore out of hand the US could potentially see high doses, that being should 100 tons of nuclear materiel get up into the atmosphere etc

DON'T WORRY: Plutonium is safe

edit on 29-3-2011 by BRITWARRIOR because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by againuntodust

Look at the wording. They are not the same in terms of the strength of correlation.

As expected, the study back then found that plutonium alpha particles when inhaled led to lung cancers, and the more that was inhaled, the greater the number of cancers.

And then contrast that with this..

These statistics indicate the likelihood that low doses of alpha-particle radiation protected against and reduced the incidence of lung cancer relative to the controls.

source for both.

Scientists must use words that are congruent to their quantitative findings. The words are very important.
They tell you the strength of the correlation.

"Indicate the likelihood" and "relative to the controls" is very different than "As expected" and "the more that was inhaled the greater the number..."

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
get enough of it you might be your power plant, and just think no more hunting for a flash light er torch for you in the UK, and then there is the HE man /She man, lift cars, stop bullets and jump over the empire state building. To bad that is all comic book stuff or is it, what if it is real, and the japs are making a super race?
edit on 29-3-2011 by bekod because: word spelling

edit on 29-3-2011 by bekod because: word corection

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
You all are waaaaay too late, I went to Japan and came back almost instantly!!! After Plutonium inhalation I can now teleport and read minds!! Everyone needs to go to Japan and get in on this great information, I wonder if the people who wrote this report were there yet?? Oh I guess not or they wouldn't be giving up the secrets!!

edit on 3/29/2011 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

Sounds like they've been playing a bit too much Fallout 3.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Yes, rat poison (fluoride), plutonium, arsenic, are actually beneficial for your health! Yes, look at this scientific data, it was created by your loving world government which would never do anything in a million years to harm you except sacrifice your very soul for their desire for world domination. Haha~... Silly government!
edit on 29-3-2011 by sliceNodice because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
The people responsible for publishing this should go live on TV and prove their claims by example. Then have TV crews follow them around afterwards for proof plutonium is beneficial. I just cant believe how sick some people really are, there are people stupid enough to believe this and they know it.

Its too early for April fools, isnt it?
edit on 29-3-2011 by Firefly_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Anyone who has ever read a comic book knows the advantages to radiation. Soon the Japanese will have laser eyes, be able to fly, control the weather, and have fast regeneration power among many other wonderful mutations. X-men "Children of the Atom"

join