It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to protect from radiation.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Hello everyone!

I decided to make this thread because I had to search a lot to find ways to protect my family and myself from whatever radiation may fall on us all.

Of course, there is much talk about iodine, and its shortness on the markets.

So I decided to make a list of food you can have that contain iodine, what to take with it and what else can be done.

If any members have other information concerning action you can take to protect your loved ones and yourself, please, please post it here!

So, here goes.

First, I read yesterday that for your body to absorb and use Iodine, you need selenium.
You can find selenium in:

Brazil Nuts
Wheat Germs
Brewers Yeast
Liver
Tuna
Other oily fish
Shellfish
Sunflower seeds
Lentils
Cashew Nuts

It is only a short list, but its a start, and one affordable.

Now, I will give you a list of food containing Iodine;

Dulse
Haddock
Garlic
Kelp
Lima beans
Mushrooms ( But I read that mushrooms and blueberries are sponges for radioactive particles... )
Seafood
Sea salt and fortified salt
Seaweed
Sesame seeds
Soybeans
Spinach
Summer squash
Swiss chard
Turnip greens

You can have Iodine without really touching your stock of Iodine, at least for a while.

But I also found that you can use Labdol's Iodine, a recipe created nearly 200 years ago, and that you can paint on your feet; you body WILL absorb Iodine through the skin, in cycles of 24 hours.
If someone could tell if we can do it with Iodine used to clean open wounds, I haven't been able to find an answer on that, yet.

If your body doesn't need Iodine, it will be left ON the skin, and not be absorbed, which is safer in my mind than taking it orally.

What about the actual fallout?

I found one product that can help protect one organ internally, and your outer body too. This product is baking soda.

Taken internally, it will protect your kidneys from radioactive particles, and it is a recommended thing to take to fight cancer, so this one is already a winner. But that is not all.
If you bath in it, it will remove radioactive particles from your skin. And you can use it to wash radioactive particles off of your clothes.

It may not seem like much, but it is better than TPTB that tell us that all is fine, go about your life as usual.

As a family, we have already begun to incorporate these routines ( of washing our clothes everyday, when coming from the outside, and bathing in baking soda. ). It is bothering a bit, but I prfer to be bothered than to bury a loved one for lack of precautions.

And, if only for the reversal of our magnetic field, it will probably protect a bit from the radioactive fallout that is coming from space.

It is not a complete list above, but it is a start.

So, again, if anyone has info on other ways to protect ourselves, now would be a great time to share!

Thanks for your time, and may God, or whatever Atheists use for spiritual comfort, protect you and your loved ones.

EDIT: I just wanted to add that Celtic Sea salt is one with much iodine. Table salts are bleached, so keep far from table salts, if possible. Unbleached salt is either grey or pink, and a bit sticky. Probably sold at a higher price too...
edit on 29-3-2011 by Aresh Troxit because: (no reason given)

EDIT 2: I wanted to add that if you expose your wrists for 15 minutes to sunlight, it will give you the amount of vitamin D that your body needs to fight off 4 types of cancer, so it might not be a bad idea to sunbath, even through your windows. ( I do not have the list of the 4 cancer types, but I remeber it is good to fight skin cancer... )

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Iodine is a poison when ingested in quantity.
But i wonder if it were diluted many times over if it could be safely taken orally?
It may be as simple as that.....
How about iodized salt taken in larger quantity? It mayt be that would help too, but we seem to have no ideas as to dosages even for the iodine sulfate tablets that are usually perscribed.
We need calculations by weight, age and other parameters for real planning.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

That's the problem I found, about quantities to take. The government doesn't really say, and all others have a disclaimer...

I was happy when I heard about Labdol's Iodine. Your body won't absorb it through the skin if it isn't needed.

I read that iodized salt wasn't much help because we couldn't really absorb the iodine added in it. I am no expert on the question, but it prompted me to look out for other sources of Iodine we could take, without having to become mad over what to do.
If it is naturally found in food, I don't know if you could overdose, but I think you would have to eat a lot of it for an overdose to happen.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Looking through our medicine tins and i found some 'Povidone' - Iodene, now reading the instructions its for wounds and sposed to be more potent than the other Iodene mentioned earlier acording to the wiki, now weather this means more is absorbed through the skin im unsure, if anyone can shed any light on the subject - now would be a good time.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by chaztekno

I know you can mouthwash with poviodine, but they say you should not swallow it, tho. I guess some will be absorbed by the skin, if needed. It is also used to clean the skin before a surgery...

But I am also trying to find if "normal" iodine can be used through the skin...

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Aresh Troxit

Do you live in Japan?

No?

Then stop being making this disaster about you when it's about the people of Japan.

Unless of course, you're a nuclear expert that can explain for myself and everyone here why anyone outside of Japan needs to be worried about radioactivity?

To quote Joe Cironcione, "This is a Japan nuclear crisis, not an American nuclear crisis." So unless I misread where you live, can you stop being a fear mongering shill and show a little respect to the people this crisis will greatly affect?

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by SaosinEngaged

Erm, excuse me for wanting my family and I to stay safe and be prepared. No one knows just how much radiation will end up leaking out and covering the globe, for warned is for armed, where in anyones post did it say anything about japan or make light of there plight? Of course i care deeply for my planet and those suffering already in Japan. Looking at the radiation maps Japan isn't even affected other than the 40 mile exclusion zone around the plants, if we are to believe them? with the wind blowing it all our way. So sorry if this offends you?

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Just a note:

Filling up your thyroid with Iodine protects only the thyroid. Nothing else. Radioactivity can still impact everything anyways, including the thyroid.

What happens is that Iodine 131 (the bad radionuclide) by-passes the thyroid when it's full and then is expelled the usual way. When I worked at a nuke, the idea was to take the potassium Iodide pill and head for the pub.

There are plenty of other radionuclides that have nothing to do with the thyroid and still harm the body.

The two types of radiation hazards are 'Internal' and 'External'.

External is like getting a dental X-ray, where you are exposed to a source and more dangerous the longer you are exposed to it.

Internal is breathing in loose radioactive particles contaminating the air or geting it on your skin and having it absorbed.

Iodine is not a 'catch-all' for radioactive hazards.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaosinEngaged
reply to post by Aresh Troxit

Do you live in Japan?

No?

My friends in UK started to take iod 2 days ago. Today you can see

db.eurad.uni-koeln.de...

from this site knowledge is:
db.eurad.uni-koeln.de.../prognose/

dangerous level

estimated fallout time - not known, maybe only weeks and maybe months

Stay prepared, read a lot of information from good sorces and take the decision on your own responsibility

From my point of view - children in south US, pregnant women - should take the this into the option which is necessary.
Of course this is some risk, but iodynum is not the worst which can happen to you if you thyroid will suffer from I-131

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Thanks for the info. I know it is not a cure all, but as in the case of baking soda, you can protect your kidneys.

And I think that if you can get a bit of protection, it must be better than none, no?

And this thread is to have all the info about whatever protection we can get. Am I wrong in assuming the government won't be of much help?

EDIT: As I saw there was a potential danger for taking Iodine, and that there seems to be a shortage of it in some places, I thought it would be a good idea to make a thread about safer alternatives to take Iodine.

And as said, I am no expert. But we can still think and ask about this question, no?

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by sechmet

Thanks for the links.

I think that, whatever the case, being prepared for something or anything is the only answer. It may look like fear mongering, but it is only a display of intelligence.

You know, the day I saw my left wrist being destroyed wasn't something I had planned when I woke up that morning, but it happened nonetheless...

So, aside from Iodine and Baking Soda, anyone knows of something that can be used to protect and that is safe and at hand for everyone?

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I found a site where they are talking about vitamins that can help in cases of radiation. They talk about Rosemary that helps to fight against cell radiation damage and to clean the body from DNA damaging free radicals. They talk about other food that can help you.

theintelhub.com...

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I found another product that could protect you against other radioactive particles; it is a dye called Prussian Blue.

When taken internally, it will act like a magnet for Cesiu137 and Thallium in the intestines and then be excreted.

Of course, as with any information given on this thread, be careful and make some research before taking any decisions.

Here are two links about it.

www.wired.com... and
www.rxlist.com...

Thank you.

EDIT: I know no one is/will be reading this, but a question popped up in my mind, and I haven't found the answer yet and maybe someone could help me...

Here goes; We are told we can overdose on Iodine, right? Then, we are told that if we are to be exposed to radioactive Iodine, we have to take stable Iodine in order to fill the thyroid gland, so it is protected against the radioactive one, right? And that then, the radioactive one will be excreted by the body and we'll be safe, right?

My question is; How can you possibly overdose on Iodine when we are told the above? If I take too much, my gland will be filled up to 99% of Iodine and then? The good one stays in to be harmless?!? How come it is not excreted as the radioactive one?...

edit on 30-3-2011 by Aresh Troxit because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
For the love of me! I wrote Labdol where I should have stated LUGOL'S IODINE! Canadians can get it through Walmart's pharmacies!

Sorry for the confusion... I have no idea why I had labdol in mind... Yikes!

top topics

join