It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Needs Quality Control

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Mods vs Gods

Originally posted by jibeho
No offense to the Mods. you certainly have been tasked with the 12 labors of Hercules.

Could be worse. Could be Sisyphus.

Lifting A Finger

Originally posted by Josephus23
We, the members, are the quality control.

That's right, so it's about time you people got with the program!**

[size=0]** Let’s not complicate things by pointing out mods are members too.

edit on 3/29/2011 by Majic because: it's complicated

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I like chocolate, but more so with nuts. So I'm in the right place!

We've all read a post that started off interesting, providing news links, informed analysis, and then the formula becomes tainted when they throw in "but it could all be because TPTB have contracted with the Aliens in order to re-orient comet Elenin to collide with the evil mothership thereby preserving the objectives of the NWO" and POOF we aren't listening so much anymore.

With that in mind...

There are some forums on here that give MSM a run for their integrity: Breaking Alternative News, Breaking Political News, Japan and Fragile Earth to name a handful. But there are many, many more.

Then, there are the other forums, such as Secret Societies and Predictions and Prophecies.

See where I'm going with this? I've been SO close, SO fluffing close to disseminating links to threads on this site, but I stop. Why? Can I really stake my integrity on a site worthy of analysis when it's homepage reads "I tried to contact aliens...I think it might have worked!!!"? Really?

Perhaps one day this site will be edited for content, or perhaps a new site will begin which has requirements similar to the Breaking News forums. Until then, this is what I've got, but shoot, I'd be very cautious before making an attempt to "wake someone up" using this site. You've really got to spend your time here to understand and appreciate the vast depth and breadth of knowledge imparted by our members' professional expertise, or already have enough experience in analyzing news vs. conspiracy to weed out the wack-jobs. For me, a significant part of that answer is revealed by grammar, vocabulary and punctuation alone. Maybe you just have to be a natural skeptic with the understanding that we may not completely understand everything.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Agree.

But also I don't think it is the MODS that need to clean the act. It's every one of the members who want a different quality. And not all threads are equal. Some are better, some are terribly dumb.

Yes, often the dumb ones make the front page and the headlines. I for one, am starting to learn how to navigate these headlines, and choose when I say something. And I will usually say it once, and if there is no interest, I'll back-out quietly.

I consider evolution to be the primary process of life. Intelligence is part of that. So it's a matter of choice.
When I first discovered ATS, I spent more time on it. Now it's less and less. I am already looking for sites and forums where the level of intelligent discussions is important to its members. Haven't found it yet..

But again, not all threads here on ATS, are equal.

reply to post by Scope and a Beam

edit on 29-3-2011 by Danjya because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
You want real quality?

Check out The Chocolate Thread

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Quality control.

That's us. Us, as in the members of ATS. You want quality? Make it happen by serving as an example. Post quality discussion.

When I first discovered ATS, months before I finally joined, it was so much smaller then. Everyone knew everybody, and it remained that way for the first few months I was here... then the growth started. Wow. The changes were, and are, remarkable. Sometimes I miss the old ATS, then I meet, and interact with new members from all over the world, and I wouldn't have the old days back on a bet.

With a site this large there's always going to be a lot of chaff for every kernal. It's up to us to winnow. Ignore as necessary. Alert as necessary. Post quality always. Do these three things, and ATS will flourish.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I have noticed how frustrating it is to scroll through hundreds of threads attempting to find something with intellectual value... This is the whole reason I waited a good year and a half before I even bothered to register here. It took me a while to really teach myself how to differentiate between the BS and the fact...

But I've noticed that the more I read through the BS, the more amused I am. And honestly... the most ridiculous threads here have even helped me open my mind. I'll read something that sounds so insane that I'll begin to laugh, then I sit back and try to think about it, and just the practice of trying to make sense of the insane has improved my thinking skills...

...Not to mention when I go out partying with friends, they love to hear about some of the ridiculous things people are calling "fact" on ATS that day.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   

I'm not saying the site is dying but it has definitely been infiltrated by morons (more so than ever) and people who think every issue is black and white.

Pathogenesis - Chuck Palahniuk Inspired

Creating Obama's Birth Certificate

i honestly agree with you...100%..GUH!!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Immortalgemini527

ATS needs more Immortalgemini527.

ATS needs an Immortalgemini527 hour. Brought to you by everything alien.

ATS needs to sell Immorlalgemini527 merchandise. That would be nice because it would all be cool as ice.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

I agree and it's too bad that the criteria for being a mod is so rigorous or else, I'd be glad to donate my time to enforcing the rules.

It's hard to even follow the rules when you look at the countless topics/posts that are promoted by the masses on here. Some are completely nonsensical, doomy or just plain stupid.

It's like everyone and their brother has suddenly found ATS and they've brought their ignorance with them too.

I suggest taking a break every now and then. Works wonders for me.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   

I am hoping that mods start clearing out the "hate" threads that really have no place here, We see them all the time, and they are really here to inspire flame wars. It is also my opinion that ATS members need to not star and flag such threads, so they move down and off the pages quickly. We all need to work on this. Lets keep the starring and flagging to threads that are well researched, cited, and offer insight in to conspiracies, aliens and the like, and leave the hate threads to another site, or the trash bin

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Who decides the "quality"

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scope and a Beam
ATS Needs Quality Control

Great! I vote you as the first example. There's the door skippy.

Who died and made you judge of all that is worthy of saying?

Sort the wheat from the chaff like the rest of us ya lazy bum.

Good grief. Start a whole thread on "dis place isn't good enough for my superior intellects...nar, nar, nar"

(there are not sufficient smileys to appropriately manifest my disdain, so multiple eye-rollies will hafta do.)

In my opinion... there are way too many of these sanctimonious bits of fluff popping up here lately, but I'm not going to say you shouldn't be allowed to say it. I will reserve the right to give you epic amounts of crap for it though.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   

I have a suggestion.

What about an addition 'score' system, one for exclusive use by mods. The idea is that a mod may be monitoring a single thread from its beginning to its end & therefore would have a good idea of the quality of the information presented in that thread as a whole.

If a thread was above & beyond exceptional in the eyes of a mod, they could maybe click a button & have an additional rating appear on threads, for e.g. "mod_x recommends" or "MR: 4" - as in 4 mods reccomend.

I'm sure this idea could be developed into something more sophisticated or marketable/practical & I can see how a ratings system with the sole purpose of assessing the quality of the information in a thread as a whole would be both helpful & a welcome addition.

Peace,
-B.M

P.S) to all those calling 'sort the chaff!" and "put the effort in" I wonder why it is that the most time consuming elements of my visits here these days are finding decent threads to post in rather than actually debating & conversing about things like it used to be...it feels like the majority of the time I spend here now is put into trying to find a thread worth reading, which boils down to spending a couple of hours reading crap threads, posting nothing & logging out again.
edit on 06/03/2011 by B.Morrison because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Having a bunch of garbage on this site not only increases page views and revenue, it marginalizes conspiracy theorists and buries the .01% of truth which may reside on this site. Basically, it's a win-win for the owners.
edit on 29-3-2011 by SphinxMontreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I've noticed a definite increase in allowed profanity. It's like the T&C are allowed to be ignored with censor circumvention running rampant. With some real disguised filth.

On this site I expect to see the "my dog ate my baby" type threads; they are easily ignored but the name calling has reached new heights and very little is being done; plus there seems to be a definite use of preferential treatment of and by some of the mods to "special" members. Some truly insulting signatures were allowed to run for months even though I complained.

I used to push the alert button, but whats the use. I might as well go back to watching TV!
edit on 29-3-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I recently found this site a few days ago again, I remember visiting years ago but never posting. The thread that brought me back was that really long, awful Jonathan Reed hoax thread with all of the Reedites arguing back and forth with the sensible posters. I was hoping the rest of the site wasn't as big of a mess as that thread was, but apparently it is.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by redhorse

What point are you trying to make?

Your response is exactly what people are talking about in this thread!

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by redhorse

For god sake grow up.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Well i think that we are all kinda operating as peer reviewers anyway.

The rubbish gets taken out quite quickly and noobs get the baptism of fire.

But i think most people settle in quite quickly.

I just try to ignore the jesus on my toast threads unless i can think of something criminally funny to reply with.

But on the other hand these insane threads allow ATS's best comedians to shine (you know who you are).

Cosmic...

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
What gets me ? People who spin thread with what amounts to no text. One the other day had thirteen words in it. The mods don't say anything. I thought there was this standard? Well I know there was, not to long ago either.

"I love chocolate, at certain times of the year ! At least 12 times a year". Your thought's ?

No one should get away with a thread like that. One the mods did make a thread that chewed everyone out fot it though.

I've gotten to where I can identify the lemons before I click on 'em. Other wise I end up saying something to the OP. And most the time they take that all wrong. And I usially end up thinking I'm being "cyber stalked" or "marked for cyber death".

Get it together ATS ! Or I'll.......................I otta !
edit on 29-3-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-3-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

Lynch 'em all?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join